Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
disneychik21
Mouseketeer

Tours

Podcast Crew and Fellow Podcasters

I have been to the world many many times and love everything about it. This summer, I will be bringing a friend of mine to the world for the first time. I have many things planned already including dining at several of my favorite restaurants. I want to plan on going on a tour, but I am troubled about which tour to pick. I have done the Keys to the Kingdom tour and really enjoyed it, I am thinking about this one. I have done the Behind the Seeds tour, but I doubt she would like that one.

Here are the ones I am considering...
1. Backstage Magic -- It is more expensive. Is it hard to book? Is it worth the high price tag?
2. Steam Train Tour -- I remember the review on this tour and it sounds really cool!
3. Backstage Safari -- I think this one sounds like a lot of fun. Has anyone experienced it?
4. Keys to the Kingdom
5. Wild Africa Trek -- I also remember the review on this one and it sounds AWESOME!

What are your opinions. I am looking for for something that I will enjoy as a Disney veteran and my friend will enjoy as a first timer.

What else would you suggest as something that a first timer must do?
SSR May 2010, CSR October 2010, SSR Dec 2010, VBR Dec 2010, SSR April 2011, OKW May 2011, AKL Sept 2011, DWL Nov 2011, AKL Dec 2011, BLT June 2012, CBR Dec 2012, POP Mar 2013, OKW June 2013, BLT July 2013, AKL Dec 2013, DL Paris July 2014

disneychik21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:17 AM   #2
mikelan6
World Traveler, Usually Optimistic

I've done the backstage Magic tour, and it was worth every penny. If you are a Disney fan, you will most probably enjoy it.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

I also loved Keys to the Kingdom. Another favorite is Wild by Design over at Animal Kingdom. It talks about what went into designing the park. After going on this tour, AK became my favorite park. I highly recommend it.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelan6 View Post
I've done the backstage Magic tour, and it was worth every penny. If you are a Disney fan, you will most probably enjoy it.
ITA. Backstage Magic was worth every penny. One of the coolest things I've ever done at WDW. Who knew laundry could be so interesting? My favorite thing was the costume building. I'd do it again in a minute.

I booked mine right at the 90 mark (I think it starts booking 90 days out)
and they do have some discounts, I have AAA so I got a discount that way.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

I can highly recommend the Wild Africa Trek! It was a really great tour. We saw stuff up close that others only see at a distance. The jeep stops all the time for photo ops. The meal is really yummy. You have 2 guides, and they also act as photographers (you get a CD of all their pictures a week or so after the tour). So you can really concentrate on what you're seeing.

At times, the regular Kilamanjaro safari jeeps would drive by, and see us on foot in some of these areas, or see us in our jeep pulled off to the side, and I saw a lot of jealous looks!

I think it would be spectacular for a first timer!

I also think that the "Keys to the Kingdom" tour is really wonderful. It's a nice way to do the MK and learn some secrets and see some things you wouldn't normally. Again, great for a first timer!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
disneychik21
Mouseketeer

Thank you guys so much for your help. I have narrowed it down to either Backstage Magic or one of the DAK tours. I have some thinking to do.
SSR May 2010, CSR October 2010, SSR Dec 2010, VBR Dec 2010, SSR April 2011, OKW May 2011, AKL Sept 2011, DWL Nov 2011, AKL Dec 2011, BLT June 2012, CBR Dec 2012, POP Mar 2013, OKW June 2013, BLT July 2013, AKL Dec 2013, DL Paris July 2014

disneychik21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
cuteduck223
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychik21
Thank you guys so much for your help. I have narrowed it down to either Backstage Magic or one of the DAK tours. I have some thinking to do.
I'd go wild africa trek. My husband loved it. and...My friend is a guide and its awesome! She loves her job!

First trip: 1989 -off site (but hey, I was 10!)
1991-Fort Wilderness
1997-Fort Wilderness
2000-Fort Wilderness
2002-All-Star Movies
2008-Pop Century
2011-Fort Wilderness
2012-September-Fort Wilderness
New Years 2012-AK Lodge
2013- July - Pop Century
Next trip: New Years 2013-Port Orleans Riverside!
cuteduck223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Jotash
Mouseketeer

I've done the Backstage Safari. It was really great. They take you to all the animal care facilities. You get to see them making up the food for the animals, the animal hospital, the area for new arrivals (we got to pet a rhino!), and then take you on Kilimanjaro Safari without the regular speech. They told us behind the scenes things and pointed out things on the ride you may not know. It's a lot of walking and standing, but worth it.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
kaligal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychik21 View Post
Podcast Crew and Fellow Podcasters

I have been to the world many many times and love everything about it. This summer, I will be bringing a friend of mine to the world for the first time. I have many things planned already including dining at several of my favorite restaurants. I want to plan on going on a tour, but I am troubled about which tour to pick. I have done the Keys to the Kingdom tour and really enjoyed it, I am thinking about this one. I have done the Behind the Seeds tour, but I doubt she would like that one.

Here are the ones I am considering...
1. Backstage Magic -- It is more expensive. Is it hard to book? Is it worth the high price tag?
2. Steam Train Tour -- I remember the review on this tour and it sounds really cool!
3. Backstage Safari -- I think this one sounds like a lot of fun. Has anyone experienced it?
4. Keys to the Kingdom
5. Wild Africa Trek -- I also remember the review on this one and it sounds AWESOME!

What are your opinions. I am looking for for something that I will enjoy as a Disney veteran and my friend will enjoy as a first timer.

What else would you suggest as something that a first timer must do?
Honestly, I thinks the parks themselves will be more than enough for a first-timer. A tour would just take time away from the rides, shows and attractions, which is what most first-timers want to do most.

But if you really want to add a tour, KTTK or Wild by Design would probably be best. Since you've already done KTTK, I'd go on the WbD tour.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
scrappinDW
Mouseketeer

I took some first timers on the Wild By Design tour and they loved it!!! They learned a lot and we still had time for the attractions. I highly recommend it.
scrappinDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: