Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
growinupdisney
DIS Veteran

Been to WDW 30+ times and have never been to a waterpark? Which one is best

my kids will be 6 and 16 when we go. Mt ds16 has been to wdw 10 times dd6 5 times. We have always enjoyed just going to the dry parks we are not normally waterpark people we leave at the beach and have a waterpark where we live and rarely go of coarse its nothing like a disney waterpark....

So this trip I thought I would try and add it in one or 2 days, we will not give up a park day but maybe go to RD at a dry park then head over to waterpark for a few hours then back tp dry park later that night.

We will be going in April and in the past has definetely been warm enough to enjoy a waterpark day.
I have no idea what to expect at the waterparks...are there characters there? any thing I should know ahead of time, be prepared for?

And which would work best for my family with the age difference!

Thank you

There is no better place on Earth than Walt Disney World!
growinupdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Are you getting Park Hoppers? The reason I ask is that you can add the WP&M option for something like $22 a person if you do - then you don't have to choose. I can't help you on which to go to - we are going to them for the first time ourselves on our upcoming trip.
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
GoonieBride
Mouseketeer

I am partial to Typhoon (my home for 5 years)
I think Blizzard would be better for your family. Typhoon is more of a beach atmosphere with laid back feel.
but with a thrill seeking 16 year old and a active 6 year old i think blizzard would be perfect. lots of slides, longer lazy river, and a great preteen area for the 6 year old.

they have one to 2 characters there. Goofy and sometimes the Ski Gator (Blizzard's Mascot)
Off site, Very Merry Dec 2011
Off site, May 2012
Off site, Sept 2012
POP, Jan 2013
GoonieBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

My DD10 and DD8 prefer Blizzard Beach over Typhoon Lagoon. BB has Summit Plummet, which is the really steep one, so if anyone is into thrills, that would be the way to go. It also has a nice big family ride (rafts that hold four or more), a good kids area and a "ski lift" that can save you the walk up to the higher rides. TL has a water coaster, which is also fun (although stopping a bit short of "thrilling"), as well as the giant wave pool. Both are nice and if you haven't been to either, then you can't go wrong (not knowing the comparison first-hand!). If wanting to commit a couple of days (or parts of days) to the water parks, then it would be worth hitting them both, so you'll have your own preference for future trips.

You might indeed see a character from time to time at either park. The food options exist, but nothing particularly memorable. Most recently, we might get to a waterpark right when it opens and have a snack or two, but leave in early afternoon and hit a more known option for a late lunch. In other words, unless you're real water bugs, you can feel like you've done the waterpark within half a day. Of course, it can be a very relaxing way to spend most of a day, even if just lying in a lounge chair...there are worse ways to spend a day!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
growinupdisney
DIS Veteran

no I'm not planning on doing park hoppers this trip,(may change my mind) last few times I bought hoppers we only used them one day, so make skip that this time.

I'm thinking on one of our MK days (we will do 2) that we will take a break and go to waterpark then back to MK later that night

There is no better place on Earth than Walt Disney World!
growinupdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
GJF323
Mouseketeer

Location: With the little Orange Bird up in the Sunshine Tree

I feel your pain. This was me until last summer. Hard to say on this one, but my vote goes to TL because BB had too many climbs for the rides. Almost everything at BB requires a hike up some stairs regardless of how long the ride is. I really felt worn out. Kids can probably do it, but our family (including my 78 YO mom) loved TL. I can't think of much besides the lazy river she could negotiate at BB.

While theming is nice, I think Summit Plummet would be the main reason to choose BB over TL.
GJF323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
tlh0726
DIS Veteran

Both!

BB is more about slides
TL is more relaxed

DD8 says BB for the slides
DS6 says TL for the shark reef

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: