Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #46
ORMom2Four
DIS Veteran

No way.

Dh and I were born and raised there. We spent time in Phoenix, Mesa and Tucson. We moved when our kids were young (in 1999) to Oregon.

Neither of us would move there again. EVER.
ORMom2Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #47
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

I think there is a huge difference between hating snow and loving a sauna. My husband would love it there, but I like open water and coast lines.

It didn't appear very kid friendly when I looked a couple of tears ago. I like lots of entertainment options. Mostly outdoor sports. Arizona seems like it might be hard to enjoy the summer. Although I have heard that Texans can not step into their deck in the summer.

Who knows? You might love it! Go check for yourself in the summer and see if you would love similar weather year round.
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #48
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota! View Post
This is the ONLY reason I couldn't live there (or anywhere south of say...Iowa??)
I remember a trip to Northern, MN and the locals said they once in a while saw a garter snake. I liked the sound of that!

I'm getting a little kick out of the comments regarding "political climate" in regards to an entire state. I guarantee the bluest of blue states has areas that are blood red - and vice versa
Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #49
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
Let me be the first to welcome you to Texas! I've been here my entire life and I am still whiter than white, though. Actually, my legs absolutely do not tan. I can't figure it out. I even had a friend who worked at a tanning salon and he told me to come in and guaranteed he would get me tan. For the first time in my life, I fake baked. I continued to come back with his assurance that I would have tan legs. A few weeks later, I had a dark tummy, dark legs, and the whitest legs. I looked ridiculous

Anyway, here's to hoping you are able to get a golden tan. And about the ocean, we do have the gulf and it has plenty of lovely beaches. Maybe that can tide you over for a while.
I complain about my ocean being 2 hours away from me now. I tried fake baking once and I had a bad reaction. My arms tan but I don't know about anything else on me. I guess I will find out.....
Old 01-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #50
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadis58 View Post
Boy, thank you for all the comments so far. Please feel free to e-mail me at dsabo6@cox.net if you would like to expand your comments but do not feel they should be on the boards. I can always delete it if it gets too bad, just please keep it clean. Sounds like the common comment is 'HOT' We hate the cold too but then the last two years have not been that bad. Thank you again
I've never lived there, but we did participate in a geological expedition back in June 2002. It was definitely hot. We had to wear a hat at all times and keep plenty of water handy. It was so hot that the soles came off my tennis shoes, and we had to find a store to buy more.

I enjoyed the visit, but I don't think I'm desert material.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #51
snoodledoo
Loves Jiminy Cricket

I've lived in AZ since I was 3. I try to convince DH to move out of state, but he is from OH and doesn't want to go back to the snow. Maybe we can be snowbirds in our retirement years!

Mostly, I am tired of the heat and I sooo love pretty trees and lush, soft, green grass (not sage, hard, crunchy grass).

I suggest you plan a visit in July or August before you make a decision.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #52
iadis58
Mouseketeer

Thank you to all!!!

You guys sure have given me allot to think about, I am starting to wonder why anyone is living there but yet it continues to grow. I have been able to locate a number or friends living there and I will also take their advice into account. I am flying down tomorrow for a one day visit, unfortunately I was laid off from my old job in PA and need to find a job ASAP. Do not have a lot of options at this point. We use to vacation in Wyoming every summer for four weeks, I know the heat is not the same but I assume the lack of greenery could compare. Thank you again, please continue to offer advice as you see fit.
iadis58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #53
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

If Arizona is so awful, why is the population growing so fast?

Not a fan of the heat when it's over 110F but the humidity is much lower than other places, and we've never had to shovel sunshine.

Desert Rat by Choice (o.k. cold air makes me wheeze, so I have a good reason for living here.)
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #54
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
I complain about my ocean being 2 hours away from me now. I tried fake baking once and I had a bad reaction. My arms tan but I don't know about anything else on me. I guess I will find out.....
If nothing else tans, we can start a Random White Areas Club!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #55
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
I remember a trip to Northern, MN and the locals said they once in a while saw a garter snake. I liked the sound of that!

I'm getting a little kick out of the comments regarding "political climate" in regards to an entire state. I guarantee the bluest of blue states has areas that are blood red - and vice versa
I have lived here my whole life (almost 35 years!!) and have only ever seen a snake 'in the wild' twice. Once at my cabin in northern WI, and once on a hiking trip at camp when I was a pre-teen in northern MN.

I HAAAAAAAAAAAAATE snakes. I could not live somewhere that there is a very real possibility of running into one on a daily basis!

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #56
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Winter wouldn't be bad, especially during spring training (which is mostly wrapped up by the time spring arrives!).
Gets to 110 here in the summer, so the heat isn't an issue for me.

I can deal with heat, but cold isn't my cup of tea, and it only gets down to 26-32 in the winter here, so by a lot of standards, it doesn't get cold here.

But I come by that naturally, my mom was born and raise in Canada, moved to Minneapolis because it was warmer....and was working her way to Hawaii.
She doesn't understand why people voluntarily go anywhere with snow.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #57
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

When I was young, I moved to Atlanta without having been here other than a couple of days because my husband got a job here.

Now that I'm older I know I would want to spend significant time there before deciding if I wanted to move there.

At least a week at a time several times during the year to see what it's like if I could.

I've never been to Arizona other than the airport.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #58
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota! View Post
I have lived here my whole life (almost 35 years!!) and have only ever seen a snake 'in the wild' twice. Once at my cabin in northern WI, and once on a hiking trip at camp when I was a pre-teen in northern MN.

I HAAAAAAAAAAAAATE snakes. I could not live somewhere that there is a very real possibility of running into one on a daily basis!
My parents Winter near Austin, and once they start seeing snakes - especially poisonous ones - Mom figures it's time to head home for the Summer!! Granted, we have snakes here (I had a 6' long blacksnake IN my warehouse a few months ago), but they're seen less frequently, and poisonous ones very, very, very rarely. I've only ever seen one live copperhead in all my 45 years, one dead rattlesnake, and no confirmed cottonmouths.

On the flip side, our friends from Tuscon used to go rattlesnake hunting all the time, and it was rare they weren't able to find one :heebiegeebies: The wife also got 7 or 8 stings from a scorpion that got in her bed
Old 01-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #59
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked

I grew up in Arizona and didn't realize how hot it was in the summer until I moved away and went back to visit. I guess the heat is just something you get used to. When I visited, I couldn't stand being outside during the middle of the day in the summer. When I lived there, I was outside all summer long.

I would never move to Phoenix. My favorite areas are Prescott, Flagstaff, and Sedona. Sedona is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited and I could easily see myself moving there.

If I had to live closer to Phoenix, I think I would move to Anthem. One of my relatives used to live there and it seemed like a very nice place with a lot of amenities.

Pros:
The Mexican food. I have never been able to find it as authentic anywhere else.
Other than the summer, all of the other months are pleasant.
The sky. I remember sitting outside many nights just looking at the stars.
It's not too far of a drive to get to Vegas, Disneyland, or skiing.
At least the heat is dry. I can't stand humidity. Give me dry heat any day.
No snow, unless you get up towards Flagstaff.

Cons: It hot in the summer. I think you could fry an egg on the sidewalk it's so hot. Again, if you get up towards Prescott, Sedona, or Flagstaff, you won't get the unbearable heat.

Yes to Sedona, Flagstaff, or Prescott. No to Phoenix. (for me)
Bluestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #60
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
My parents Winter near Austin, and once they start seeing snakes - especially poisonous ones - Mom figures it's time to head home for the Summer!! Granted, we have snakes here (I had a 6' long blacksnake IN my warehouse a few months ago), but they're seen less frequently, and poisonous ones very, very, very rarely. I've only ever seen one live copperhead in all my 45 years, one dead rattlesnake, and no confirmed cottonmouths.

On the flip side, our friends from Tuscon used to go rattlesnake hunting all the time, and it was rare they weren't able to find one :heebiegeebies: The wife also got 7 or 8 stings from a scorpion that got in her bed
Yep, that would be why, as much as I hate the grey, the snow, the colder weather....I stay put.

We are talking about moving...DH wants Florida. I say if we go to Florida, we will be living on the top floor of a highrise. Less chance for something to invade my space there!

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: