Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #31
hopemax
Note to Self: Please remember to bring your brain with you this time

Because of a job for DH, we lived in Scottsdale from 2003-2008. And 90% of it, I loved. I loved the weather, I loved we were close enough to take weekend trips to Disneyland, I loved the cost of living. They had Cox for cable, and so we didn't need to deal with Comcast. They have In-N-Out DH did not love the weather, and so we voluntarily moved to Colorado. Now, I don't love the weather.

Now, the big negatives. Phoenix metro is huge! I had lived in a town of about 60,000 which I always thought was too small. Then in Seattle, which was about the right size but traffic was horrible. And now we're in Denver, which is a perfect size. Phoenix was WAY to big for me. It took at least 20 min to drive to a mall and several of our more frequented shopping areas, including a movie theater. Our favorite stores (scrapbook Store and a used everything store) were about 40 min away.

2nd: Politics. On the good side, we were shocked to arrive and find out that our driver's licenses would be good until we were 65 years old! I hated giving that thing up. Just one example of how the tax burden in AZ is low. But as a result, there are a lot of things "missing." We were used to having a decent bus/transit system and there wasn't anything useful, except around ASU in Tempe. I never heard anything positive about the school systems, and other things like that.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #32
mnrose
DIS Veteran

No. My MIL lives just south of Tucson, and I have visited several times. Even in the winter, I find the climate to be too dry for my taste. And, I'm fond of green. Moreover, the summers are oppressively hot. It's not like Minnesota where you can put on more clothes (when it's super cold) and manage just fine. There's only so much you can do to cool off. LOL!

But, everyone is different! MIL really likes living there (she is a snowbird). And, I have known people who truly love the desert and find beauty in it.

Whatever floats your boat!
mnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #33
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadis58 View Post
After living in the Midwest and East coast all my life, we might have a chance to move and live in Arizona, around Phoenix. I have heard allot of negative points, I think I can understand the heat, is it that bad? Is it better than freezing your butt off? No school age kids, (1) college age only. I am looking for unbiased opinions, I know some people have political views but please try to put that aside. Thank you
Phoenix is my hometown so I have sentimental feelings for it. It is really beautiful there six months of the year. The other six it is really hot. No humidity, so that isn't an issue. As for grass, we always had grass and my relatives all still do. It does cost quite a bit of money to cool your house during the summer and it never seems to be set cool enough for me. You hardly ever need to use heat in the winter so it kind of works out. They do have bugs, but it is nothing like what you get in Florida or any other humid environment. Most people have a contract for spraying monthly. I have never seen a scorpion there, but I have seen black widow spiders. I would think that this might be a good time to buy a house there as the market has been so bad that the home costs have dropped significantly. As much as I love the Denver area, it is a place that I would consider moving to, especially after slipping on ice and breaking my leg a couple of years ago.
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #34
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAnnDVC View Post
No. My sister lives there.
haha... I was going to say yes because my sister lives there. But after reading your comment, I thought twice and I don't know if I want to live that close to her....

Not moving to AZ but am moving to Texas from New England and I say to go for it. That's what we are doing. you never know until you try if you will like it or not.

I am so sick of the cold and snow and ice and everything here that I can't wait to try out Texas. I am moving away from family and everything I have ever know but sometimes you got to take chances in life and I know that if I suggested to my DH to not take this job opportunity that we would regret it at some point. My kids are on board and the biggest thing I will miss is being around to help with my mother but I fully expect her to be at my house through most of the winter and we are working on getting some of the family to maybe transfer to a job out there to be near us. Most of my family has never moved out of New England and it's about time they did.

I think the three biggest obstacles I will have to face are the heat, missing family, and having the ocean so far away. I always made my DH promise me that if and when we moved that we would be moving closer to the ocean and have a pool in the backyard. Well, I'm supposed to be getting half my wish. I hate having to wear so many layers and still be freezing cold so the heat will be welcoming. A little swim and maybe some AC and I will be good. I'm also whiter than white so maybe I will actually get some color for once in my life. I plan to buy stock in sunblock though.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #35
jgh
Peter Pan!

NOPE! Too far from Disney World...

jgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #36
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Never spent much time there, but I could probably handle it. I'm sure the heat gets old, but cold weather is getting more brutal the older I get. Right now I'm in my house wearing a t-shirt, a hoodie, thermal underwear, and jeans. I'm thinking of putting on a second pair of socks because my feet are cold. Yeah I'd be ok with the Phoenix area.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #37
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
haha... I was going to say yes because my sister lives there. But after reading your comment, I thought twice and I don't know if I want to live that close to her....

Not moving to AZ but am moving to Texas from New England and I say to go for it. That's what we are doing. you never know until you try if you will like it or not.

I am so sick of the cold and snow and ice and everything here that I can't wait to try out Texas. I am moving away from family and everything I have ever know but sometimes you got to take chances in life and I know that if I suggested to my DH to not take this job opportunity that we would regret it at some point. My kids are on board and the biggest thing I will miss is being around to help with my mother but I fully expect her to be at my house through most of the winter and we are working on getting some of the family to maybe transfer to a job out there to be near us. Most of my family has never moved out of New England and it's about time they did.

I think the three biggest obstacles I will have to face are the heat, missing family, and having the ocean so far away. I always made my DH promise me that if and when we moved that we would be moving closer to the ocean and have a pool in the backyard. Well, I'm supposed to be getting half my wish. I hate having to wear so many layers and still be freezing cold so the heat will be welcoming. A little swim and maybe some AC and I will be good. I'm also whiter than white so maybe I will actually get some color for once in my life. I plan to buy stock in sunblock though.
Let me be the first to welcome you to Texas! I've been here my entire life and I am still whiter than white, though. Actually, my legs absolutely do not tan. I can't figure it out. I even had a friend who worked at a tanning salon and he told me to come in and guaranteed he would get me tan. For the first time in my life, I fake baked. I continued to come back with his assurance that I would have tan legs. A few weeks later, I had a dark tummy, dark legs, and the whitest legs. I looked ridiculous

Anyway, here's to hoping you are able to get a golden tan. And about the ocean, we do have the gulf and it has plenty of lovely beaches. Maybe that can tide you over for a while.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR* *2015 - CR*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #38
Mokat76
DisKat

I lived near Phoenix for three years and really liked it. Although I grew up in the Midwest I found the desert to have a beauty its own. Hot? You betcha. But that's not insurmountable. Air conditioning is a wonderful thing. There are amazing things to see and do throughout the state, including skiing if you need a winter fix.
Mokat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #39
Sorsha
People, don't be like the chickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
And I know you don't want political comments, but the political climate of any region plays into its liveability, IMO.
This exactly. That's one of the main reasons I couldn't live there.

Now, as to anything else, I HATE snow and cold as much as the next person. But I also DO NOT like deserts. I want green grass and trees with my sunshine and warmth. I have never lived in AZ but I have driven through it, and it just didn't appeal to me one bit.

"My kids' through the years at Disney parks" video!
Sorsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #40
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchragFamily View Post
I lived in the desert for 14 years. I know all about it, thankyouverymuch.
And I'm sorry you were miserable. Over 300 days of sunshine too much?

OP, do your research. Every place has its positives and negatives. I would even make a visit as well. If you live and work in the relatively same area you really have it made. Don't live in the west valley and commute to the east... for that you will be sorry.

And as for no grass (unless your home has it, you can kick the lawn mower bye bye!)
Anyways, good luck on your hunt!

I've been BOO'ed by GoofyinToronto!
pigletgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #41
thewishfire
DIS Veteran

I moved a few years ago from New Jersey to Arizona. I've lived in both the Tucson and Phoenix Area.. from my perspective, here are the pros and cons.

Pro:
- Even though I love snow, it's nice not having the hassle that comes along with it
- I've made some great friends here. Meeting new people is hard everywhere, but once you get settled in an area, it does happen.
- I always have good hair days.
- I'm in college and love my school.
- I never have to make alternate plans for rain.
- I can still do all of the 'normal' things I did home (for the most part), like shopping, going out to eat, going to the movies, etc.
- Moving to a new state/area is always an exciting prospect and a chance to grow as a person. You aren't stuck anywhere forever.
- Rent is much more reasonable, as are housing prices and car insurance.
- Most non-summer days are wonderful to take a walk, hike, bike ride, etc.

Cons:
- Yes, the heat is bad. This was my boyfriend's first summer here (he's from California) and he HATED it. June-September is HOT. I've learned to deal just like everyone else does - stay inside as much as humanly possible and turn up the AC.
- Bugs. I'm a complete bugaphobe, and seeing all of the strange insects out here bothered me. They were way, way worse in the Tucson area, though, and I've really not seen anything here around Phoenix (except black widows, outside only, at my mom's house.)
- It can be boring, and things are spread out.

That being said, all in all I find living in Arizona alright. I've been here since 2007 and haven't gone crazy yet. I'll probably be here another 12-14 months until I find somewhere new to go.

No matter where you go it'll never be the same as 'home', but if you try you can definitely be happy here.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #42
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

MA my whole life. Lots of places I have visited, but don't think I could life without green grass, trees, quirky road layouts & old time New England charm. And especially seasons. All 4 of them.

I am not keen on grid laid out towns. Sun. Snakes. And creepy crawly things in my house. I am also used to my Indian sounding town names & French sounding last names. I also like having mountains & ocean within close reach.

I could definitely handle Washington state. Been there & loved it too.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #43
dogluva
DIS Veteran

I loved Sedona-very pretty. We visited in June and the heat was dry. It is different than the humidity that I am used to. Pheonix was hot (117 degrees) and it was unsafe to go outside when we visited. The last night we were there we encountered a rattle snake that was really mad. I thought I would retire there but changed my mine. I would rather stay in MA than deal with snakes. Plus, I love the ocean.
dogluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #44
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletgirl View Post
And I'm sorry you were miserable.
I don't see any huge advantage to sunshine if it's too stinking hot to go outside. Give me overcast and temperate any day.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #45
maelstrom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh View Post
NOPE! Too far from Disney World...
But only four hours from Disneyland!!

Next Trip: May 2013 at Port Orleans French Quarter

Got Married! October 1, 2011 in Atlantic City!
maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: