Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #16
MaryAnnDVC
"Mare", DISing since '99; prefers being tagless

No. My sister lives there.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #17
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
And I know you don't want political comments, but the political climate of any region plays into its liveability, IMO.
That is why I would never be able to live in AZ. I don't think I would mind the heat or the desert. I know I wouldn't miss the snow here in WI ... 20" on the ground right now which is going to melt all at once in a few days leaving brown mud and thawed dog poop behind.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #18
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

I have enjoyed visiting Phoenix but definitely don't have a desire to live there. I feel the same way about FL .

I like the seasons and would miss snow too much!

My Blog: Have Budget Will Travel

Riles_and_Gabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #19
MissMichigan
A most peculiar mademoiselle

Nope. And I say that as someone currently living in AZ, originally from MI. I hate it here. And yes, the heat really is that bad...it's unimaginable. I miss seasons, color, being able to check my mail without slathering on sunblock, etc. It's nice for a month or two out of the year, monsoons are cool, the mountains are pretty. Other than that, sucks. Once I get a chance to leave, i'm never coming back.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #20
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Well, I have no desire to ever leave Texas, BUT.... if I did have to move, Arizona would be one of the top states that I would look into moving (Georgia, North and South Carolina, and Florida would also be on that list). I much prefer the weather there to other areas of the country. I don't really care for cold, but I can handle heat. Plus, it is one of the very few states that has any idea of what Mexican food should actually taste like. People I have known from there were very friendly an down-to-earth. I would stay away from the larger cities, but I would feel that way about most states.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR* *2015 - CR*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #21
WhateverLolaWants
DIS Veteran

Wow, I'm pretty surprised at this thread. After college, I stayed out in the Phoenix area for three weeks and decided I could never live there either. The mountains were pretty, but I strangely missed greenery and houses with basements and siding. Not to mention the dry air and the near constant sun probably would have aged my skin a bunch considering the different people I know who grew up out there look much older than they really are. I like my baby face!

Trips

October '87, June '91, Summer '93, Summer '97, December '98, July '99, April '00, December '02, August '03, November '03, January - May '07 (College Program),
January '08 (WDW and Disney Wonder), February '08 (DL/CA), December '08, October '09, February '11, January '12, February '13, October '13,
December '13 and on - Florida Resident Annual Pass
WhateverLolaWants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #22
iadis58
Mouseketeer

Sounds so far like NO!!!!! Please keep them coming Thank you

Boy, thank you for all the comments so far. Please feel free to e-mail me at dsabo6@cox.net if you would like to expand your comments but do not feel they should be on the boards. I can always delete it if it gets too bad, just please keep it clean. Sounds like the common comment is 'HOT' We hate the cold too but then the last two years have not been that bad. Thank you again
iadis58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #23
tink_n_pooh
my TP isn't going anywhere. I can start the TP underground, anyone who is interested just let me know
I'm happy my underwear are clean

Phoenix is one of the only cities I would actually consider moving to. I have family living in Arizona and they all seem to like it My cousin has been living around Phoenix for well over 10 years and although he has considered moving back to NJ to be near his family I think he will stay in AZ.

I would not miss the snow. Or the ice. Or the cold. Or the trees. Or the grass.

Dealing with the insects does not sound appealing but they aren't appealing here either.

I love the privacy of where I live now but I could get that outside of Phoenix too. Things that I would miss about NJ are family, friends, being close to NYC and all that comes with the east coast.

Every area has it's good and bad points
DD (2014)
tink_n_pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #24
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

I don't think so, I really don't like the sun and the heat too much. I look at AZ like I look at FL, a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Plus I think there are too many creepy crawlies there. The climate lends itself to scorpions, poisonous spiders and snakes oh my!
anniemae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #25
newt2
Mouseketeer

I could live in Prescott or Flagstaff. They're both nice and don't get the heat of Phoenix. They even get some snow in the winter.

Would not do anything in the desert though. Too hot in the summer even if the winters are nice and mild.
newt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #26
faith
DIS Veteran

Friends kids hated it. Everything left in car melted. Ex:DVDs
their kids couldn't play outside unless very early morning.
They actually transferred to cold Minnesota, and have been much happier.
faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #27
maelstrom
DIS Veteran

If it weren't for the political climate of Arizona, I'd move there in a heartbeat! My aunt and 3/4 of my cousins have been living out there for 20 years. I love the desert. I must just be an oddball.

Next Trip: May 2013 at Port Orleans French Quarter

Got Married! October 1, 2011 in Atlantic City!
maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #28
RN2003AZ
Mouseketeer

My DH and I lived in Scottsdale for 2 years when we first got married. We're both from MA. I absolutely loved it down there. I didn't want anything to do with coming home. DH missed the snow. And family. So I compromised and we moved back to MA. Then we had kids and now I can't imagine being away from grandparents or family. There are some fabulous areas in the Phoenix valley. And there are some really bad areas. I strongly suggest going for a good week long visit and investigating the areas. It's a very different lifestyle than here in MA. Feel free to PM me with any questions!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #29
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemae View Post
I don't think so, I really don't like the sun and the heat too much. I look at AZ like I look at FL, a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Plus I think there are too many creepy crawlies there. The climate lends itself to scorpions, poisonous spiders and snakes oh my!
This is the ONLY reason I couldn't live there (or anywhere south of say...Iowa??)
Old 01-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #30
Saphire
Loves to hear good news
I can't believe they pulled it off!!!

Location: Down By The River Charles...Boston, You're My Home!

Visited many times and loved it, there is nothing like horseback riding in Arizona!

However, I am a New Englander at heart, and could never live without the rhythm of the seasons.

So for me, "it is a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there".

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: