Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #121
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat77 View Post
Not the quoted poster but I will share my routine.
Load washer before bed.
Wake up, transfer load to dryer, reload washer.
Afternoon/Evening- unload/reload dryer, kids help fold and put away laundry. Throw in third load, if needed.
I do not work outside the home, but my routine is pretty basic and would be possible if I did.

I never thought about doing it before bed- I usually throw a load in before I go to work. Sometimes I can get home for a little while at lunch and will throw that one in the dryer and another in the washer before going back to work but if not I do that when I get home from work. I could do the load of towels before bed then the other clothes in the morning, thats an idea!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #122
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat77 View Post
Not the quoted poster but I will share my routine.
Load washer before bed.
Wake up, transfer load to dryer
, reload washer.
Afternoon/Evening- unload/reload dryer, kids help fold and put away laundry. Throw in third load, if needed.
I do not work outside the home, but my routine is pretty basic and would be possible if I did.

Yep. I wash everything. If it can not survive the machine, we do not need it.
Simmons foam pillows do not lump, if anyone is looking for a good washable pillow.

(I have a horrible dust allergy. That may factor into my laundry ocd a tiny bit. I do enjoy the ability to breathe easily )
I can reuse towels but there is no way I could leave my laundry sitting damp in the washer for more than an hour. Blech!

I guess we all have our own "issues".
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 06:22 AM   #123
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm

I can reuse towels but there is no way I could leave my laundry sitting damp in the washer for more than an hour. Blech!

I often throw in a load before bed.... However we have a delayed start option so I just set it to start in 9 hours and then it is usually done when we get up for breakfast and then I can just toss it in the dryer! If we would leave it sit, our front loaders get incredibly stinky!
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #124
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonduck View Post
I often throw in a load before bed.... However we have a delayed start option so I just set it to start in 9 hours and then it is usually done when we get up for breakfast and then I can just toss it in the dryer! If we would leave it sit, our front loaders get incredibly stinky!
I would be ok with that. My washer is old skool!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #125
4luv2cdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom View Post
I have to ask -- how many family members that you have 18-20 loads of laundry a week?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelled View Post
Heavens! That's so, so much water used every year. With the most water-conservationist washer you can buy, that's well over 25,000 gallons a year; with a conventional washer, it's over 40,000. I'm not a rabid environmentalist, but I couldn't justify using that much water unless I had a family of ten.
There are 4 of us. I am neither proud nor ashamed of our laundry habits. The water consumption portion of my water bill is $25 per month. We all shower daily, run dishwasher 1-2 times day, and do laundry every day. I don't know how many gallons, but it doesn't seem excessive based on what it is costing.

Towels - about 6 loads per week (My job)

DD14 does her own laundry. About 3-4 loads per week (socks/undies, darks, lights, items needed to be washed seperate) They are small loads, but she is taking responsibility from start to finish for her own things, and I think that is most important.

DD11 is just beginning to learn how to do her own laundry. I am assisting at this point. About 3 small loads.

DH works a dirty job. He does his laundry separate (well he's supposed to. I can tell he throws my stuff in with his to save time sometimes and it ticks me off! I can smell the difference in my clothes and then will rewash them) He is responsible for both of our laundry. About 6 full loads (2 -work clothes, 4 the rest)

Things like bedding, jackets, curtains, rugs, blankets we use while watching TV, etc. all have to get washed sometime! So, there is always an extra load of something. (My job)

When the kids were not doing their own laundry, their laundry was combined and could be done in 4 loads (or even less when they were very little).
11/2009 - CBR - back again for Thanksgiving! ~ 3/2011 - POP - Spring Break ~ 11/2013 - POR - Thanksgiving - Who's coming with us?!
4luv2cdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #126
penn19
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post

Thats what I was thinking. That smell when you open the washing machine door and get a whiff of damp towel. blah.
penn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #127
4luv2cdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzolkin View Post
We are a family of 5 and we average 2-6 loads per week.

Two would be if I didn't do sheets for whatever reason and only wound up with 1. cold/darks and 2. hot/socks, underwear, towels

Six would be including all clothes, towels, and sheets (3 loads)

I cannot imagine doing 3 loads of laundry every day.
See my post above on my situation (we do many small loads) but even if I tried to combine most of our clothes together, I don't know how I could do make that work!

I have a large capacity washer / dryer and do not see how I could fit all of our darks in 1 load. I would say we'd have 2-3 loads.

If we reused our towels (say 2 - 3 times) and combined them with all our socks and underwear, we would still have at least 2 loads.

Bedding - 3 loads.

Delicates/other - There are just some things that have to be separated out. Examples: colors that will bleed (reds, the kids have some really bright blues), light colored clothing that cannot be washed in hot water with the whites or with the darks (I wash towels, underwear, socks, etc on "sanitary" which is extra hot), other blankets (bulky), kitchen towels (even on "sanitary" I cannot wash underwear with kitchen towels...just can't do it! So, say 3 "other" loads.

We'd still be at 10 - 11 loads. Not at all singling you out tzolkin, I honestly just cannot figure out how people have any less than this! Good for you though
11/2009 - CBR - back again for Thanksgiving! ~ 3/2011 - POP - Spring Break ~ 11/2013 - POR - Thanksgiving - Who's coming with us?!
4luv2cdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #128
Sorsha
People, don't be like the chickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4luv2cdisney View Post

We'd still be at 10 - 11 loads. Not at all singling you out tzolkin, I honestly just cannot figure out how people have any less than this! Good for you though
How?

Because, in my house, at least, EVERYTHING gets thrown into one load unless it absolutely MUST be washed separately. I understand that a red or a very bright garment may bleed the first time or two, but after that, I have never had an issue with color leeching out - all the excess dye is gone.

Darks, lights, undies, towels, etc - it gets thrown in, I use warm water and a quality detergent, always rinse on cold. I have a large capacity, water-saving front loader, and NEVER wash on "Hot" or "Sanitary" unless someone has done something very nasty to their clothes or I am running something that absolutely MUST go separately (DH has gotten into something gunky at work, etc).

I have been doing laundry this way for 20+ years and I have never had anyone complain that their clothes looked "less clean" because of it, I don't find that our clothes "don't last as long" (DD9 has hand-me-downs that originally belonged to DD18, and they are still in quite good shape.

It allows me to do about half the loads of laundry that I would have to do if everything were separated out, and I can use less water and less electricity., Just my experiences, and how *I* do fewer loads. YMMV.

Upcoming California and Disneyland Pre-Trip!
"My kids' through the years at Disney parks" video!
Sorsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #129
Trek Girl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfans95 View Post
ok so clean towels, but you sleep naked on the same sheets for a week
Yes. I'm dirty when I go to bed anyway. And then I get up and take a shower in the morning, and I'm clean again. Besides, I simply like the feel of a fluffy, fresh towel.

Last edited by Trek Girl; 01-08-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Trek Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #130
Trek Girl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
How about helping out the environment?
I still don't see the need. One extra load of laundry a week from me isn't going to kill the Earth or my conscience.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #131
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek Girl View Post
I still don't see the need. One extra load of laundry a week from me isn't going to kill the Earth or my conscience.

That is the type of thinking that causes problems; it isn''t just you that is doing extra laundry or other things that waste water.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #132
Trek Girl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
That is the type of thinking that causes problems; it isn''t just you that is doing extra laundry or other things that waste water.
It isn't like I think this way about everything, but water is a service I'm paying for, and unless there's a mandate by some governing entity to use less of it, or it gets crazy expensive, I'm going to use the amount that I want.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #133
declansdad
DIS Dad#639

Quote:
It isn't like I think this way about everything, but water is a service I'm paying for, and unless there's a mandate by some governing entity to use less of it, or it gets crazy expensive, I'm going to use the amount that I want.

I stand by my earlier comment.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds

Old 01-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #134
Trek Girl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I stand by my earlier comment.

As it's your right to, and I commend you for it. I respect people who care as much about the environment as you do, and maybe one day my attitude will change so that it's more in line with your thinking.

But that's not where I'm at right now. I freely admit that I'm selfish about some things (I guess water use is one of them).
Old 01-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #135
declansdad
DIS Dad#639

Quote:
As it's your right to, and I commend you for it. I respect people who care as much about the environment as you do, and maybe one day my attitude will change so that it's more in line with your thinking.

But that's not where I'm at right now. I freely admit that I'm selfish about some things (I guess water use is one of them).

Thanks for being honest about it. It is nice to have a discussion without someone feeling like they are being attacked when they have a different opinion.

me dw (pooksma) ds

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: