Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #151
mebbradley
Patiently waiting for the next trip to Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbun View Post
I use my towels for about a week, sometimes less. Do those of you who wash your towels everyday, also wash your pajamas/change pajamas daily? I wear my nightgowns several times(3-4) before they go in the laundry. What about sheets? Sleep on them once and change them? I'm pretty environmentally centered and I just can not do all this laundry-use water, soap into the water table, electric and gas use, my time...and on and on. Matter of fact, how does one have time to do this much laundry and get anything else done?
I wash my pajamas daily and I use towels once.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #152
JamesMom
DIS Veteran

Household of 4: DH, Me, DS10, DS7

Towels: Generally used 1-2x before wash. I have mid back length hair and still only use 1 towel. We do the used towel as floor mat, too

Hand towels: Don't have them. Use paper towels in kitchen and use bath towel in bathroom (clean or last nights)

Washcloths - don't have them. Use poofs instead.

PJs: Men - sleep in underwear. Me - fresh nightly t-shirt and panties. Kids would run around in blankets and underwear all day if I didn't make them dress.

Sheets: washed weekly. Would love to do more often, but too much time...

Blankets: little better than quarterly

Jeans: Wear 2-3x and then wash. With kids, I also get something on them. I wear sweats at home most of the time, change into jeans with company or out of the house.

Shirts: Change daily. We mostly wear t-shirts, polos. No sweaters or sweatshirts. If cold, wear a zipper hoodie (wearing one as I type - hypothyroid) and wash when needed.

Underwear and socks: change daily. Bras: wear 2-3 days. (I am a SAHM in my 40s - I go without most of the time alone at home)

Loads of laundry per week:
1-2 - Hubby does his own. Wears mostly darks and washes cold/ dry warm
3 - linen loads (Master sheets = 1, Kids sheets & blanket x 2 - they don't use a top sheet) wash hot/dry high
2 - Towels wash warm/high dry
2-3 Mine and Kids clothes. Non sorted wash warm/high dry. Have a hamper and when full, start the load

Never leave with a load in washer or dryer. Paronoid of flood or fire.

Thank should cover it

Trip Report: May 9-15, 2010 - Mother & Son at POR w/Free QS Dinning: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36675492

Trip Report: December 14-20, 2008 - Mother and Son (6yo) at Contemporary w/Free Dinning: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2038015
JamesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #153
Trek Girl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
That's the best you got?
Dude, (or dudette) I'm not trying to get into a verbal match with you, seriously. I just think it's ridiculous to try to guilt someone into doing things they way you want them to do it. If water parks aren't considered a waste of water, laundry habits certainly shouldn't be put under a microscope

Quote:
Remember you are leaving the Earth to your children and their children, etc.
I don't have kids, so...

Quote:
People need to get a clue about our natural resources.
I agree.
Trek Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #154
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek Girl View Post
Dude, (or dudette) I'm not trying to get into a verbal match with you, seriously. I just think it's ridiculous to try to guilt someone into doing things they way you want them to do it. If water parks aren't considered a waste of water, laundry habits certainly shouldn't be put under a microscope

I don't have kids, so...

I agree.
It's a cop out to defend one's actions by pointing out something that you deem a worse infraction than your own.
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #155
Trek Girl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
It's a cop out to defend one's actions by pointing out something that you deem a worse infraction than your own.
Well, actually, I'm not using that as a defense for my actions. I was just putting it out there as something to consider. Anyway my defense (which really is no defense, I guess), is that I'm spoiled and selfish in this regard, plain and simple.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #156
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse House Mama

Nothing sits all week here. Laundry is done every single day. I do multiple loads a day. Usually 3-5 loads. I swear I must have worked laundry in a women's prison in a past life.
You sound like an expert! Maybe I could hire you to teach the people in my house. It's not rocket science, but you'd think it was based on my DH's facial expressions when I explain whites vs colors vs sheets, etc.
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #157
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:

Walt Disney World Resortís approach to water conservation begins with using less water where possible, and maximizing use of reclaimed water. Approximately 30 percent of the resortís overall needs and 80 percent of its irrigation needs are met with reclaimed water.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #158
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, actually, I'm not using that as a defense for my actions. I was just putting it out there as something to consider. Anyway my defense (which really is no defense, I guess), is that I'm spoiled and selfish in this regard, plain and simple.
Well, if this thread is any indication, you are in good company.
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #159
Trek Girl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
Walt Disney World Resortís approach to water conservation begins with using less water where possible, and maximizing use of reclaimed water. Approximately 30 percent of the resortís overall needs and 80 percent of its irrigation needs are met with reclaimed water.
Awesome!
Old 01-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #160
ashley0139
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
And i had no idea that some people would reuse a bath towel.
Living in NYC, having to walk two blocks to the laundromat, and having to pay about $7 each time I do laundry, it would never occur to me to not use it more than once. That would be insanity here.

Pre-Trip Report 2009: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2293006

Pop Century October 19-26, 2011

Pre-Trip Report 2011: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2796928
Trip Report 2011:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2867080
ashley0139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #161
Trek Girl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Well, if this thread is any indication, you are in good company.
I was only speaking for myself when I said I was spoiled and selfish. But I only say that because I know for a fact that it's why I don't reuse my towels. I would never presume that everyone else here who doesn't reuse their towels is spoiled and/or selfish. They may have perfectly good reasons for doing so, such as medical reasons. But essentially, I don't know, really, because I don't know them.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #162
pooh4evr
Mouseketeer
In STL we drink soda and eat barbecue, use realators, eat sherbert, and drive on rout farty far

Wash everything (except sheets, coats, jackets) after each use. Including towels, both bathroom and kitchen. Other things like bedding, bath mats, and coats jackets worn to school, once a week. Even DH's dress shirts are washed after every day wear (he is an MD, so I feel like his clothes are crawling with germs and yuck!)
Old 01-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #163
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley0139 View Post
I literally had no idea that there are people who use a new towel for every single shower.
I had no idea people used the same towel for a week or two without washing it.

We both learned something.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #164
Momvic5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh4evr View Post
Wash everything (except sheets, coats, jackets) after each use. Including towels, both bathroom and kitchen. Other things like bedding, bath mats, and coats jackets worn to school, once a week. Even DH's dress shirts are washed after every day wear (he is an MD, so I feel like his clothes are crawling with germs and yuck!)
I do the same thing.....if my dh wore it to work or my kids wore it to school or just out of the house for the day, it gets washed after one use - including jeans and jackets. We live in Texas so our jackets are usually light and easily washed.

There are five of us, and I usually do two loads of laundry every day. Between our day to day wear, our workout clothes, and towels, we produce a lot of laundry. If I let one day go without doing at least two loads, I feel over-whelmed by it. I wash towels after two uses (clean towel after night time shower and reuse for morning shower). I have a full load of hots every day when I throw our towels in with our socks and underwear. The neat freak in me can not stand to have clothes piled somewhere waiting to be washed.

Me DH DS DD DS
Momvic5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #165
kt_mom
DIS Veteran

I've been on both sides of it. I grew up using a fresh towel each time. My parents and sister still do the same thing. And they are constantly washing and folding baskets of towels.

As an adult with my own household now, we have a mixture. DH and I each use the same towel for about a week. We change our handtowels as needed. Mine gets changed more often because DS likes to sneak in the bathroom and play in my sink and my towel usually ends up soaking wet or on the floor being stepped on or something.

DD and DS get a fresh towel for each shower/bath. I'm not really sure why I don't hang DS's towel up after his bath but I always drop it in his basket after I carry him back to his room. I need to have a talk with DD about reusing her towel. But she rotates between showering upstairs in her bathroom and downstairs in ours and that may be why she has been in the habit of tossing her towel in the basket each time. But they both only take a shower or bath every other day so its still not that many towels a week.

I probably change my dish towels out every other day or so depending on how much we've been home and how much they've been used.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: