Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #16
tinkerbell1984
Mouseketeer

So, with these bands, does that mean if my child gets lost they can just scan them and know she's mine and send me a text? Kind of makes me feel like we are all just walking bar codes. I def will not be using mine for purchases...Just because they require a pin for $50+ purchases, doesn't mean someone can't make 100 $49 purchases with no problem. Again, some things sound good, some bad, and some kind of freaky.
tinkerbell1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #17
danicaca
Mouseketeer

Read the article! It clearly states: "Guests will not be forced to use the MagicBand system, and people who do try it will decide how much information to share." However, I am sure they will eventually phase out the old FP system...
No countdown for now, but a trip in December of this year or perhaps next is in the works - woo hoo!
danicaca is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #18
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell1984 View Post
Just because they require a pin for $50+ purchases, doesn't mean someone can't make 100 $49 purchases with no problem.
A person would not be able to make 100 purchases of $49.........because Disney only 'authorizes' a particular amount of spending usage.

On my visit, it was $1,500 before I maxed-out my spending and needed additional authorization. Essentially, Disney needs to tap your credit card before you can spend more than $1,500. I'm sure you can have $0 charging privileges if you like.

ABC Commisary (2.5-stars*-food), Akershus (3.0*; 5* princess interaction), Artist Point (3.5*), blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Casey's (4* - Qwik Serve Overstuffed Pulled Pork & Slaw w/ Hot Dog), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (3.0* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flame Tree BBQ (3.0* + .5* for taking TiW), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.0* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4.0*), Jiko (3.5*), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie (4* - French pastry), Marrakesh (3* - Best Value 1-Credit/bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4* - View of Animals on Savannah), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Spice Road Table (3.5*), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (2.5*), Yak & Yeti (2*)
-- Items in BOLD are personal favorites.

2015 ADR's: blueZoo, Il Mulino, Capa (newly opened inside Four Seasons), Brown Derby (Fantasmic), Coral Reef, Be Our Guest (dinner), Al Forno (only whole fish other than BlueZoo), Sci-Fi Theater (child's first time), Tusker House (family first time), and 1900 Park Fare (family first time). On 'to dine' list: Monsieur Paul, Ohana, Yachtman's Steakhouse.
JZCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #19
ses1230
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiedust34

I wonder if the old machines will be in use for off-site guests, or if all will get wristbands?

I'm not sure if on-site guests will have perks (perhaps extra FPs?), though it wouldn't surprise me. Rumor has it that they are trimming down free dining (nothing for value stays, quick service for mods and deluxes) and offering FP perks is a way to entice guests to stay onsite when the resort prices keep climbing and promotions such as FD are not as good as they once were.

I also wonder how this would work for those w/o smart phones and for international guests in the parks if they want to change a reservation or FP time.

I don't mind wearing a bracelet, but I do hope it's removable for showering and sleeping.

It'll be interesting to see what develops! We won't be at WDW until Sept., so hopefully by then the system will be up and running well.
I read somewhere that there would be kiosks in the parks for those without smartphones. Whether that is true, I don't know.

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT 2015 Pop 2015 BC
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #20
disneycrazi
watch your head and step as you disembark

Have a question we are a party of 6 going in October...
Do we ALL have to use fastpasses for the same attractions each day?
Also what if the party splits and 4 go to AK and 2 go to HS...how will THAT work out????
(2003 Day Trip) (2009 April All Star Movies) (2009 September Port Orleans Riverside) (2010 April Caribbean Beach) (2010 Sept Grand Gathering POFQ) (2011 Jan Contemporary) (2011 April All Star Music) (2011 July POP Century) (2012 January All Star Sports)
(2012 Feb One More Disney Day Coronado Springs)
(2012 Sept Animal Kingdom Jambo) (2013 March Old Key West) (2013 October Art Of Animation, Polynesian)
(2014 April off site Fountains Resort)
disneycrazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #21
angelmichelle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneycrazi View Post
Have a question we are a party of 6 going in October...
Do we ALL have to use fastpasses for the same attractions each day?
Also what if the party splits and 4 go to AK and 2 go to HS...how will THAT work out????
I know the answer to the first question is no. Each member of your party can choose to use their FP+'s as they wish (this was shown on a video for the testing period but it may change?). As for the second question, no idea? I assume each member of your party goes to whichever park and uses his FP+'s as he or she wishes.

angelmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #22
topmonkeygirl
DIS Veteran

I can't wait to try it out. I hate having to pull out my room key, or SAP all the time. I love the idea of a wrist band.

It really is a "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow".
topmonkeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #23
disneycrazi
watch your head and step as you disembark

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmichelle
I know the answer to the first question is no. Each member of your party can choose to use their FP+'s as they wish (this was shown on a video for the testing period but it may change?). As for the second question, no idea? I assume each member of your party goes to whichever park and uses his FP+'s as he or she wishes.
Thanks so much that clarifies a lot for me!
(2003 Day Trip) (2009 April All Star Movies) (2009 September Port Orleans Riverside) (2010 April Caribbean Beach) (2010 Sept Grand Gathering POFQ) (2011 Jan Contemporary) (2011 April All Star Music) (2011 July POP Century) (2012 January All Star Sports)
(2012 Feb One More Disney Day Coronado Springs)
(2012 Sept Animal Kingdom Jambo) (2013 March Old Key West) (2013 October Art Of Animation, Polynesian)
(2014 April off site Fountains Resort)
disneycrazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #24
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses1230 View Post
I read somewhere that there would be kiosks in the parks for those without smartphones. Whether that is true, I don't know.
That would be great!

Disney Parks Blog has an article about the wristbands today, too.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...he-next-level/
Old 01-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #25
angelmichelle
Mouseketeer

"Disney expects MagicBands to turn into a big business in and of themselves; the company plans to introduce collectible sets of MagicBand accessories and charms."

So do you keep your MagicBand post-trip? Is it permanently yours or no?

angelmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #26
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxePrincess View Post
That big, red band is pretty ugly.

I wonder if this system allows you to park hop? If I want a Fast Pass from Epcot in the morning and MK at night, would that be allowed?
You can still park hop, but you can only use FP+ at one park per day. So one of your parks would be stand-by lines only.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #27
bwang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessArlena'sDad View Post
This is not speculation.

The terms and conditions of My Disney Experience state explicitly that if you use FP+, you can not use regular fastpass.

The reason: FP+ requires RFID tickets, but RFID tickets can not be used for regular fastpass.

For now, at least it is one or the other.
i enjoy reading everyones interpretation of the "terms and conditions", which are also "subject to change". They currently read that you can not use Fast Pass+ (RFID) and exisiting fast pass (paper tickets), which makes sense since they are on different systems. Is it possible they will make the regular fast pass machines RFID in a seperate stage? So now you just swipe your wrist band and its now on your "reservation"? Everyone assumes you will only get 3 fast passes the entire day and can not receive anymore. Could it be the 3 are the perk (onsite guests) and you can get more throughout the day through the new system which acts similar to the old?

I am going to wait to see what it actually ends up being instead of trying to decipher terms and conditions.

Here is a quote from Staggs that you can interpret how you want as well: “We know that some people like to plan every aspect of their Disney vacation in advance while others like to plan very little, letting their day unfold spontaneously. No matter where guests fall in that spectrum, My Disney Experience gives them the flexibility to plan as much or as little as they’d like to create the exact Disney experience they want.”

bwang123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #28
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

3 pre bookable FP+'s for onsite as a perk, then everyone inc locals and offsite visitors getting FP+'s available on the day, seems a sensible way to do it.

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #29
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessArlena'sDad View Post
This is not speculation.

The terms and conditions of My Disney Experience state explicitly that if you use FP+, you can not use regular fastpass.

The reason: FP+ requires RFID tickets, but RFID tickets can not be used for regular fastpass.

For now, at least it is one or the other.
That doesn't mean you won't be able to get additional FP+s in the park using a smartphone. In that scenario, I wonder about how well the wi-fi in the parks will actually work with possibly thousands of people trying to connect to it monitoring and updating their plans. Any time I've been around situations with thousands of people needing wi-fi access, it hasn't been executed well.
WillAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #30
divawife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
V.I.P. seating for parades, fireworks
This really has me interested! Does anyone know what they mean by VIP seating for parades and fireworks? I don't really care about the character meet & greets. But the fireworks and parades? That sounds wonderful.
divawife is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: