Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
tartemis
DIS Veteran

Do not go to Florida Hospital for Children

Enough time has now passed so that I am now pulled together enough to write this post as a warning to other families traveling to Disney World.

This past October, on the last day of our trip to the World, our youngest daughter (3 years old) was rushed to the emergency room because she was having trouble breathing. (She had a respiratory illness that brought on some sort of asthma-type attack, although she had no history of anything like this before.) To try and make a very long story short, we first tried to take her via cab to a walk-in clinic that the Grand Floridian (where we were staying) directed us to. When we got there, however, it was closed. At that point, my daughter also started to become critical. Luckily, we still had the cab that rushed us to the Celebration Emergency Room. Celebration was wonderful (and I wouldn't hesitate to go there again).

EXCEPT, Celebration does not have a pediatric ward. When it became clear that my daughter was going to have to be admitted, Celebration told us that they were going to transfer her to their sister-hospital, Florida Hospital, which had a brand-new Disney sponsored pediatric pavilion. Celebration said that they thought she would likely be out in 24 hours but that they needed to admit her as a precaution.

So we were transferred to Florida Hospital via ambulance in the middle of the night and arrived there around 4 a.m. We did not see a doctor until 4 p.m.! More than 12 hours later! I was pissed and started to wonder about the quality of treatment (especially because we really had no idea what was happening at that point), but figured that it wasn't worth trying to get her transferred to another hospital if she was going to be out in 24 hours anyway. Well, she deteriorated even more at Florida and we ended up spending 4 nights there. The doctors wanted her to stay another night but at that point we realized we needed to get her out of there since she was now stable enough and our doctors back home were starting to become concerned about the level of her care there.

In the end, if I ever am faced with a similar situation, I will demand that I am taken to Arnold Palmer's Children Hospital (or even the new one that just opened near the airport). I will NEVER go back to Florida Hospital again.

Hopefully no reader on here will ever need to heed this advice, but I wanted to pass along our experience in case anybody is in a similar situation. I'm still kicking myself for not listening to my gut that first day we were at Florida Hospital and I'm just hoping that my daughter does not have any lasting effects from the experience.
tartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #2
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Is your daughter doing better now? I sure hope so!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 03:18 AM   #3
Kristian
Mouseketeer

So sorry to hear about your negative experience. I hope that your daughter is much better. When we were at Disney last, in September, my dd who was 3 at the time, caught some type of a funky virus. We didn't have to go to the hospital or anything like that and within a day she was feeling better and was able to go back into the parks, but the cm's were very helpful in finding medicine on site so that we didn't have to leave etc. However, two days after we arrived home, she broke out in boil type abscesses on her legs. We took her to our local ER, which we rarely use because our experiences there haven't been great, but I panicked. Well, we waited in the waiting room for 4 hours. We got there at 6pm and waited until 10pm to even be called back and there was no one in front of us. When we finally got called back, a PA just pushed around on the abscesses and that was it. No culture's were taken, no blood, nothing. We were back there a total of 2 minutes and we left with a script for 10 days worth of antibiotics. Well, that round of antibiotics didn't work so we took her to her pediatrician, who got pretty ticked when he found out that they didn't culture the boils. He put her on a different medication, which also didn't work. Finally, after 4 rounds of antibiotics, we got rid of them, but it was a rough couple of months. The ER billed me for $400 after our insurance paid their part, which is 90%. I could not believe they billed me that much for practically doing nothing. I contested it. They did nothing. It baffles me how some hospitals go about with medical treatment, but yet charge an arm and a leg for doing next to nothing. It ended up being a staph bacteria, which could have been caught from anywhere, especially with us being in the parks at Disney, rest areas from driving etc...but it was a crazy couple of months post Disney.

Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

I'm so very sorry,and glad that your daughter is doing better.

While we haven't had any experience with the Children's Hopsital, I do want to commend the Celebration hospital. My husband was there last August, the day before we were due to leave for home. They were thinking of admitting him, but fortunately it didn't come to that. But he received excellent care. When he got home, he was admitted to a local hospital for 5 nights. He also had a staph infection-- combined with his high blood sugar, it was a rough couple of days.

And the people at the Beach Club were incredibly helpful.

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
tartemis
DIS Veteran

She is doing much better. Thank you for the kind words. It was a very stressful situation, however, and the flight home was probably the scariest thing I have ever done because the doctors warned us to not get on the plane if she was even having a hint of struggling to breathe. I swear I counted the seconds until we landed safely back home.

I get so pissed when I think of what happened at Florida Hospital. As just one other example, they had started her on antibiotics at Celebration, but after they transferred us to Florida I realized in the middle of the night that they had stopped giving her the antibiotic -- when we were finally able to reach a doctor to ask why, he said because he didn't think she needed it. The next day I had to push the doctor on it and he said that he would re-prescribe it if she had another chest x-ray (her second one in less than 48 hours) to warrant it. Well, the chest x-ray showed that her lung had further collapsed so they started her on antibiotics again. Then on discharged, a new doctor (we saw 3 different attending physicians while we were there), stopped her antibiotic again and gave me a lecture about over use of antibiotics. Really? I get the concern but (1) it is worse as far as resistance is concerned to start and stop someone repeatedly on antibiotics than to just give it to them and (2) you have a 3-year old with an unexplained illness that is getting worse requiring them to stay on oxygen and you can't explain why she isn't getting better -- its not like a 30 year-old coming into a walk-in clinic complaining that her cold isn't getting better and demanding antibiotics.
tartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
Donald Duck888
Mouseketeer

Wow, I am so sorry to hear about your situation with getting your daughter proper medical care down there that is just terrible. I do have to agree with the other poster that Celebration seems to have their act together but that other hospital sounds like a nightmare.

I actually spent 5 night myself in Celebration hospital when on a trip to Disney about 10 years ago when I developed a pulmonary embolism (actually had 2 but who's counting lol) about 2 days into a vacation. When my wife finally got me to go to the hospital after 5 nights of no sleeping because the pain was so bad and really slow walking due to only 30% lung capacity we we luckily sent to Celebration, (i wanted to finish the vacation and see doctor after we flew home). After an initial issue with being overlooked in the waiting room the care there was pretty great. I can't believe they dont have a pediatric unit. I mean really look where they are located.

Again I am very glad to hear that your daughter has recovered and hopefully you wont ever have to go through anything like that again.

DIS Dad # 630
Donald Duck888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
tigger51276
DIS Veteran

In Aug/Sept 2011 during our trip to Disney my DD9 (who was then 7) came down with an odd mainly childhood disease HSP while we were there. At first I thought she was having an allerigic reaction as it looked similar to what happened to her when she took penicillian. On our last day there, our flight got cancelled and she got worse and we ended up in the ER of Florida Hospital. We were at the one near the airport though and I have to say their pediatric ward was just excellent (can't say much for their ER though). They were great to both my kids and I making them feel very special and I felt she was in good hands. She was there for 4 days and then she improved enough to go home. I would definitely recommend that branch although it was at least a 30 min drive from WDW every day.
Pop 10/07 - SSR 1/08 - Disney Cruise 1/08 - AKV 10/09 - OKW 8/10 and AKV SV 9/10 - ASMu 5/11, AKV 8/11 and BWV 9/11, AKV Kidani 2/12, BLT Theme Park View 8/13 and AKV 8/13-9/13, BLT, AKV, SSR & BCV 6/14-7/14
Me (38) DD (10) DD (6)
tigger51276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartemis View Post
Enough time has now passed so that I am now pulled together enough to write this post as a warning to other families traveling to Disney World.

This past October, on the last day of our trip to the World, our youngest daughter (3 years old) was rushed to the emergency room because she was having trouble breathing. (She had a respiratory illness that brought on some sort of asthma-type attack, although she had no history of anything like this before.) To try and make a very long story short, we first tried to take her via cab to a walk-in clinic that the Grand Floridian (where we were staying) directed us to. When we got there, however, it was closed. At that point, my daughter also started to become critical. Luckily, we still had the cab that rushed us to the Celebration Emergency Room. Celebration was wonderful (and I wouldn't hesitate to go there again).

EXCEPT, Celebration does not have a pediatric ward. When it became clear that my daughter was going to have to be admitted, Celebration told us that they were going to transfer her to their sister-hospital, Florida Hospital, which had a brand-new Disney sponsored pediatric pavilion. Celebration said that they thought she would likely be out in 24 hours but that they needed to admit her as a precaution.

So we were transferred to Florida Hospital via ambulance in the middle of the night and arrived there around 4 a.m. We did not see a doctor until 4 p.m.! More than 12 hours later! I was pissed and started to wonder about the quality of treatment (especially because we really had no idea what was happening at that point), but figured that it wasn't worth trying to get her transferred to another hospital if she was going to be out in 24 hours anyway. Well, she deteriorated even more at Florida and we ended up spending 4 nights there. The doctors wanted her to stay another night but at that point we realized we needed to get her out of there since she was now stable enough and our doctors back home were starting to become concerned about the level of her care there.

In the end, if I ever am faced with a similar situation, I will demand that I am taken to Arnold Palmer's Children Hospital (or even the new one that just opened near the airport). I will NEVER go back to Florida Hospital again.

Hopefully no reader on here will ever need to heed this advice, but I wanted to pass along our experience in case anybody is in a similar situation. I'm still kicking myself for not listening to my gut that first day we were at Florida Hospital and I'm just hoping that my daughter does not have any lasting effects from the experience.
It's a well known fact among FL residents that all the "Florida" hospitals are not the best. They have the lowest paid staff, etc. Several years ago a friend of mine who was a ER nurse stating walking into the ER is a 8 hour wait. I experienced that wait when my daughter gashed the skin outside of her eye and needed stitches. So your daughter seeing the doctor in 12 hours. I know know all my local after hour clinics that can do x-rays, etc. Now, that I know these things, I will drive the extra 30 minutes to a non "Florida" hospital in Tampa like St. Joseph's or All's Children's hospital although the newest "Florida" hospital in my area is around 4 miles from my house.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

So sorry to hear you experienced this.

We had an exceptional experience when our baby was emergency rushed to Arnold Palmer's Children's Hospital while at WDW. We were misdiagnosed at Centra Care Clinic (which I think may be the same company as the one in question) and will never step foot in that place again.

The care we received was amazing, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Arnold Palmer.

Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
iheartwalt
Mouseketeer

What an awful situation But so glad she is doing better.
I don't have any personal experience but I do hear wonderful things about Nemours Children's Hospital. Unfortunately they are not network with my insurance but from what I have heard about them vs the other ped facilities it would be worth it to pay out of network for us should the need ever arise.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #11
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience and I hope your daughter is doing better!

I would not recommend any Florida Hospital chain (including Celebration). I could go into detail, but I went to the ER for five hours, saw the doctor for three whole minutes, and was charged over $1200 (I was told at the hospital that it would be $600 and I paid half that night, which I already considered price gouging for the amount of care I received and the few tests that were run). We are currently demanding to know what some of the charges are and our account is under review, but the whole experience has been a nightmare and I will no longer go to any Florida Hospital chain.

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:35 AM   #12
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry....that stinks! Did they ever find out what was wrong? I was guessing allergic reaction to something.
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
All Star Sports...2/2015 (just me and hubby)
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #13
jenifferf00
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian View Post
Well, we waited in the waiting room for 4 hours. We got there at 6pm and waited until 10pm to even be called back and there was no one in front of us.
I'm sorry that you had to go through this, and glad your daughter recovered. However, after working in an ER this statement bothers me. The sickest people don't often come in through the front door, they come in via the ambulance bay and you never see them. Also, 1 very sick person can tie up a large portion of the staff very quickly, CPR, nurses getting and administering meds, doctors ordering tests, procedures, and meds, staff calling to transfer, x-ray techs, respiratory techs, surgeons, etc.

While a staph infection is scary, and the wound probably should have been swabbed; it is not a situation that should take precedence over someone dying, or gravely ill.

jenifferf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #14
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifferf00 View Post
I'm sorry that you had to go through this, and glad your daughter recovered. However, after working in an ER this statement bothers me. The sickest people don't often come in through the front door, they come in via the ambulance bay and you never see them. Also, 1 very sick person can tie up a large portion of the staff very quickly, CPR, nurses getting and administering meds, doctors ordering tests, procedures, and meds, staff calling to transfer, x-ray techs, respiratory techs, surgeons, etc.

While a staph infection is scary, and the wound probably should have been swabbed; it is not a situation that should take precedence over someone dying, or gravely ill.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #15
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifferf00 View Post

Depending what is happening in the area, it is possible to nearly fill up the ER with people coming in by ambulance. Depending on what is wrong with these people it is possible to have the majority of your staff tied up with them for an extended period of time. As such, those who are triage as not being critical will end up waiting until they have the space and bodies available.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: