Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
LuvMyBoysX2
Earning My Ears

No name agency - Would you use?

I am very excited as my family is planning our very first Disney cruise. I am at the stage of finalizing with a travel agency. What I've learned so far appears that the cruise prices are virtually the same but each agency offers an incentive via their on-board credit. I have a no-namer agency offering an additional $150 OBC above what a well-known Disney cruise agency is offering. For those that have more experience in this area, who would you go with?

Thank you for your help walking a novice through the intricacies of cruise planning!
LuvMyBoysX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
sgc1107
sgc1107

Dreams unlimited!! Check them out it goes by the cost of the cruise! I just got $200 from my sailing last week and rebooked onboard listing DU (dreams unlimited) as my TA and as soon as I hit port canaveral my agent had already sent me an email that she received my booking and it will get me a $200 OBC, plus Disney's $200 OBC for booking onboard! That's $400 before I step on board!

sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
Billinaz
Waiting to spend time in our home away from home.. cabin 12506!

Check out Costcotravel.com you get a cash card that is 8 to 10 percent of your cruise cost when you return. Works out better than any OBC for us.....
02/11/2004 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/03/2005 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 3 Day WDW and 4 Night Bahamas
02/04/2006 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Eastern
02/01/2007 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/04/2007 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 3 Night Bahamas
02/23/2007 Grand Californian Concierge and DL MVMCP
02/08/2008 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Eastern
02/07/2009 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Western
02/07/2010 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/27/2011 Dream Cabin 12506- & Cabana #3 Inaugural 4Night Bahamas
03/03/2011 Dream Cabin 12506- Missed CC - Inaugural 3 Night Bahamas
04/21/2012 Fantasy Cabin 12506 & Cabana #4- Inaugural 7 Night Eastern
04/20/2013 WDW Poly & Fantasy Cabin 12506 & Cabana 4- 7 Night Eastern
Billinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

You are correct that cruise fares will be identical (some agencies may/may not include taxes and fees in their quote - therefore appearing "lower") because DCL does not allow TAs to discount their fares. The difference between TAs is what other "incentives" they offer - onboard credit, gift, prepaid Visa card, etc. As to whether to use a "no-name agency" - as with any contracted service do your research into that agency. Are they reputable? How long have they been in business? Does anyone local have experience with them? Also, how do they handle payments - do you pay the agency who in turn pays DCL or is your payment made directly to DCL (preferable!). Will the agent be available to handle your questions, make upgrades or changes you may need?

A local travel agent may be just as good as an advertised online "specialty" agency as long as you are comfortable with their service. Many of the agencies mentioned on this board specialize in DCL cruises and agents have undergone some level of training to be more familiar with DCL policies.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I would look at the training and experience of the agency and agents. Do they have a 24/7 emergency line for use while traveling? Do they have evening and weekend hours? Have the agents been on the ships? Have they attended the training that Disney provides to agents? Are they available by phone or just by e-mail?

DCL imposes no fees for a cancel before the penalty date--does the agency impose a fee?

Remember that you are selecting both the agency and the agent and be sure that you are happy with both. I won't bash a local agency. However, I've found excellent service with a large, out of town agency.

NO amount of onboard credit makes up for bad service or a messed up reservation.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyBoysX2 View Post

. . . I have a no-namer agency offering an additional $150 OBC above what a well-known Disney cruise agency is offering. For those that have more experience in this area, who would you go with?
Personally, I would not use a no-name agency to get an additional OBC.

Around three years ago, there was an agency that offered high OBCs and other perks. That is, until they went bankrupt. Orlando Sentinel -- see the fourth business. I have since cruised with people who had booked with that agency -- and they lost their cruise deposits or entire cruise fare.

I would stay with a reputable agency that specializes in Disney Cruises, has long track record, and offers excellent customer service including an 800 number.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
LuvMyBoysX2
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much for all the very helpful responses. I was leaning towards going with the tried-and-true solution so that was the kick in the pants I needed to make the right decision
LuvMyBoysX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
jiminyC_fan
Missing Captain Mickey!
always let your conscience be your guide
Gotta love popcorn!

After my DD's honeymoon experience we will ONLY use DU.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

There are lots of good agencies and agents.

With ANY agency, your payments should go directly to DCL, not to the agency. By this I mean that your credit card payment should show DCL, your check should be made out to DCL, or whatever. The agency needs to process the payment, but the payment should not be made TO the agency.

That way, if something happens to the agency, your vacation is intact.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: