Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #31
JodyTG
It's a well known fact that a woman can never own too many pairs of black shoes. Why can't my husband see that a new pair of shoes really CAN change your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriswin1
In Texas, you get sent a formal letter to meet with a judge and you will be fined. It brings a criminal record. Another reason i Homeschool...
We homeschool our son as well. We also live in Texas and a judge gave our neighbors the choice of who spent the night in jail. The mom did, (husband made more money) lost her job and now home schools all 3 of their kids.
May 1990, Grand Floridian | May 1996, Dixie Landings | June 1997, All Star Sports | June 1998, Caribbean Beach | June 2000, All Star Music | June 2002, Port Orleans French Quarter | December 2003, All Star Music | December 2005, Beach Club Villas | December 2006, Beach Club Villas & Disney Wonder 4 night Bahamas cruise | December 2008, BoardWalk Villas | December 2010, Port Orleans Riverside | December 2011, Pop Century | November 2013, Disney Wonder 7 night Western Caribbean cruise
JodyTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #32
KateMW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyTG View Post
We homeschool our son as well. We also live in Texas and a judge gave our neighbors the choice of who spent the night in jail. The mom did, (husband made more money) lost her job and now home schools all 3 of their kids.
Lord that is stupid...your neighbor, not the judge.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #33
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateMW View Post
Lord that is stupid...your neighbor, not the judge.
Why is the neighbor stupid?

Better that she lost her job than her husband!

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #34
Musicalmommy
Earning My Ears

I totally skipped asking the school and just talked to the teachers instead. Both teachers said that the kids are going to learn way more on the ocean. (since we live no where near one) than they would in class, but they are only missing two days and one of them is Valentines day.

I am afraid to ask the office staff.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #35
JodyTG
It's a well known fact that a woman can never own too many pairs of black shoes. Why can't my husband see that a new pair of shoes really CAN change your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy

Why is the neighbor stupid?

Better that she lost her job than her husband!
Believe me, they argued about it. She "won", he still has his job, and she has some "interesting" stories.
May 1990, Grand Floridian | May 1996, Dixie Landings | June 1997, All Star Sports | June 1998, Caribbean Beach | June 2000, All Star Music | June 2002, Port Orleans French Quarter | December 2003, All Star Music | December 2005, Beach Club Villas | December 2006, Beach Club Villas & Disney Wonder 4 night Bahamas cruise | December 2008, BoardWalk Villas | December 2010, Port Orleans Riverside | December 2011, Pop Century | November 2013, Disney Wonder 7 night Western Caribbean cruise

Last edited by JodyTG; 01-07-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #36
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriswin1 View Post
In Texas, you get sent a formal letter to meet with a judge and you will be fined. It brings a criminal record. Another reason i Homeschool...

Again... DS has missed at least a week a year for the past 12 years, and we have never received any such hassle from a judge or anyone else. I think it might be different if the child in question had already missed a lot of school, or was failing, or whatever.

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #37
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Did they have excessive tarties or something going on? We live in Texas and the major rule is kids (state-wide) is that they have to be present for 90% of the school year. That equals out to about 17 days of absences.
Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern October 2014
MissDaisyofTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #38
JodyTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDaisyofTexas

Did they have excessive tarties or something going on? We live in Texas and the major rule is kids (state-wide) is that they have to be present for 90% of the school year. That equals out to about 17 days of absences.
The school district said that 7 days of unexcused absences was excessive.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #39
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The school district said that 7 days of unexcused absences was excessive.
That's crazy!!!
Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern October 2014
MissDaisyofTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #40
tajz90
Mama D

I live in Texas and have good students that attend school, but one year I received a letter stating that I could be fined and jailed for excessive absences. Texas is tough. The letters come from the state and not school district.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #41
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

In Ohio no problems...

in GA it is crazy!!! The teachers themselves had no problems at all... it is the school district itself.
our kids are allowed 10 days sick every year...
well around the 7th sick day you get a letter stating they are going to turn you into CPS. and every absence after that you get the letter.
I said bring it on. ( our district gets money based on attendance.)
Needless to say CPS never showed up at our house.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #42
phoenixleigh
Mouseketeer

If your child goes to an out of area school. They have to have a 95% attendance rate and can only be late 5 times and they cannot ride the bus. For example ride the bus from school to grandparents house
Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #43
pannm
Mouseketeer

No. BUT, I think that they should have 'allowable amount of time' for vacations and things like that. BECAUSE there are families that pull their kids out for vacations several times a year, and that is A LOT of extra work for the teachers!

Now, don't get me wrong. If a child is doing poorly in school, I do NOT believe taking them on vacation is doing them any good. "Hey kid, you're not doing well- so lets reward you by taking you out of class and going on vacation."

I have sisters-in law that are teachers. They've NEVER minded kids in their class missing school for a week or so to go on vacations. In fact, for a lot of kids- they LEARN A LOT while on vacation...AND they learn in different ways than just sitting in a classroom hearing people talk, they gain life experiances.

Where I do have problems is the parents that take their kids on vacation and then they turn around and ACT LIKE IT'S the TEACHERS fault if the kids aren't getting better grades for the time that they are gone! That is unacceptable. If a kid does poorly on his/her assignments over the missed school time, then it's the kids and parents fault. It is NOT the teachers!

One of my SIL's has twins in her classroom- the parents of those twins are HORRIBLE. They'd gone on TWO vacations already before Christmas and missed 8 days one time and 11 days the next time. Both kids are "C" and "B" students. They got a lot of homework sent home to work on and my SIL said if there were any questions, to e-mail her or she would even allow them to visit her durring her regular after school classroom hours to get help with anything from when they were gone.

Both kids turned in most of their homework, a few sheets were missing and some sheets were 1/2 done or done very poorly. She asked them if they could stay after school any night for the next week and she'd help them with the missing sheets AND to finish up the 1/2 done sheets.

One of the kids told her- I'm done with all my home work, grade it as is.
The other said nothing.

She graded the papers as they had handed them in, she gave them each zero's for the papers they didn't hand in. She told them AGAIN that she'd grade the 'Zero's' papers if they handed them in and she'd help them.

About two weeks later, she got a FURIOUS CALL from their mom! This mom YELLED and CUSSED her out for giving her kids Zero's on assignments. My SIL could not get a word in at all and the mom said "You and me will be having a meeting with the principal!" and hung up the phone.

The meeting with the principal had a lot of the same screaming and cussing from the mom- because the teacher said she gave the kids time to work on it, offered her help and told them when she was available (EVERY SINGLE DAY after school for 2 1/2 hours each day)...

That mom still blames my SIL for her kids bad report cards that 1/2 of the year.

AND, my SIL just got another e-mail telling her that her twins would be missing school again for 9 days in March. She sent a nasty letter to the school board saying that her kids should be 'excused from those assignments, because they learn more on vacation than they do in the classroom'...IT DOES NOT WORK LIKE THAT.

My SIL was teacher of the year this year, so we all know that she is a great teacher. Some parents just can't accept the fact that they cannot be dragging their kids out of school SEVERAL times during the year for vacations when the kids did what they did for the first vacations they went on.

It is unacceptable to blame the teacher for poor homework and not turning things in if she offers to help AND the kids/parents refuse to take it.

Feb/March 2013...FIRST CRUISE (certainly NOT the last!)...July 2012, 4 nights Paridise Pier Disneyland...Sept. 2011, 4 nights pop century 3 nights AKL...March 2011, 11 nights pop century on dinning plan...May 2010, 8 nights all-inclusive Dreams Cabo...December 2010, 5 nights-Royal Pacific Universal resort...October 2009, 5 nights Wilderness Lodge...February 2009, 10 nights split between pop century and animal kingdom lodge...December 2007, 7 nights pop century
pannm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #44
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannm View Post
It is unacceptable to blame the teacher for poor homework and not turning things in if she offers to help AND the kids/parents refuse to take it.

Couldn't agree more. When I let my son's teachers know about us being gone, usually a month in advance, I also make it clear that if they have makeup work they would like to give him either before or after his absence then that is very much appreciated, but that in NO way do I expect them to provide that, and that my son is prepared to take the grade hit if need be. He just tries to do extra credit ahead of time and go into the trip with a cushion, if possible.

If a child is hospitalized or recuperating from an injury or whatever, then I would hope that teachers would do everything they could to help the child make up missed work. But going on vacation is my *choice* (sort of -- we couldn't afford to go at peak times) and it soooo not the teacher's job to cater to us like that.

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #45
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
No. I'm in CA and as long as you apply for Independent study they don't care. My son was 5 when I took him out for a 2 week cruise. Taking him out didn't work out well though for us. It took him a month to reacclimatize to the school environment. He's only in kindergarten but the emotional and behavioral aftermath made taking him out a mistake.
I'm in California too, and I think to be more clear, there are ways in some districts that you can take a child out, but you need to check that out and set it up BEFORE you book the cruise.

The police here once a semester do truancy sweeps, and you have 20 of the usual stereotyped uncaring drug addict parents picked up, and one parent who took their child out of school for a vacation. While the penalty can be 1 year in jail and a $10,000 fine, most first time offenders get a $100 fine and have to do 40 hours of community service.

I know some parents who put their kids in private school to get around that, but now the organizations that accredit private schools say that is no longer acceptable, so they are in the same boat as public school parents.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: