Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
LoriV
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post

I'm still amused that when we did the EBPC, the only teacher who gave us a hard time was the geography teacher.
LoriV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
DJinPA
Earning My Ears

If you children are old enough, you may want to be aware of when the state standardized testing is done, or when midterms and finals fall. In our district, if kids miss those dates, they need a doctor's note.
DJinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #18
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinPA View Post
If you children are old enough, you may want to be aware of when the state standardized testing is done, or when midterms and finals fall. In our district, if kids miss those dates, they need a doctor's note.

That's the only thing I make it a point to schedule around, along with marching band competitions. Otherwise, I don't lose sleep over it, lol. Even here in strict ole' Texas, even with DS a Junior in high school. We've been doing this since he was in Kindergarten, so he knows what he has to do, and has a whole year to plan for it. He also knows that if his grades were to slip, we wouldn't be able to go, so it has always been a great motivator.

Other than the robo-letter that is always sent out when X number of days are missed, I have never received a moment of grief and nothing else has ever been said.

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #19
mcgrawfan
Peace Love Mickey Mouse

Our DD is in second grade and we have taken her out every year since Kindergarten without problem. We always let the office and the teacher know in advance and they get her work together. (except for Kindergarten, they didnt have her do any make up work
Old 01-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #20
SnipsNSnails
DIS Veteran

My son is in Kindergarten. We tried to minimize the amount of school he will miss. Even though it's an 8 day cruise and we are driving from MI to TX he will only miss 5 days since 2 days were already scheduled off during the time we are gone. His teacher was excited for him and said that she will send work home before we leave. I do worry about how much he has missed, we've had some boughts of sickness here so he missed about 6 days his first trimester due to illness and now my husband's grandpa died so he will be missing two days this week so we can travel to the memorial service. I just hope he stays healthy the rest of the year. At the start of the year I said, no we weren't taking him out for a vacation but he's done so well, that I changed my mind.

7/1996 - CBR, 12/1998 - BC, 12/2008 - Pop DDP, 9/2011 - CBR DDP, 2/2013 - DCL Magic, 6/2013 - DL BWPPI
4 Generations Do WDW - Sept 2011 Trip Report
SnipsNSnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #21
LoriV
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinPA View Post
That's a good point. I avoid state testing dates and the end of any given grading period (quarter or semester).
LoriV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #22
Lexa
DIS Veteran

This year it will be our third time we are going on vacation just before school year ends. Last year they missed last two weeks and this year they will miss last 10 days. We never had any problems. They were not too happy, but never gave us any problems to take our kids out from school for vacation. We got some work to take with us and I'm fine with that.

Aleksandra , Chris , Luke :, Maya

May 7-14 2011 - Our 1st cruise with DCL - Disney Magic to Eastern Caribbean
April 29 -May 14 2012 - Inaugural sailing on Disney Wonder to Hawaii
May 6 - May 20 2013 - Disney Wonder Westbound through Panama Canal

May 1 - May 15 2015 - Another trip on Disney Wonder Westbound through Panama Canal
Lexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #23
Brittmarie04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriV
One other note - I do not ask permission to take them on vacation. I tell them when they will be absent and ask what work they would like them to do before, during, or after vacation.
Same here
Brittmarie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #24
bermudaannie
Earning My Ears

I don't ask I we just let the school know my kids will not be there due to a family vacation. Family time is just as important as anything they will learn in school adn they have lots more days of school then true family vacation time to enjoy it! And don't worry about the school work you can make it up (if needed) when you get back. And be sure to ask if you have to turn in any school work they give you....sometimes they give it to you because you asked but don't really expect it back.
bermudaannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #25
kriswin1
Earning My Ears

In Texas, you get sent a formal letter to meet with a judge and you will be fined. It brings a criminal record. Another reason i Homeschool...
kriswin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #26
kimberlyelayne
Mouseketeer

I have three kids DD14, DD11, and DS7. This year will be our 2nd DCL trip while the kids are in school. DD14 is a freshman this year. Last time the teaches thought it was awesome that the kids where traveling. And the teachers gave them work that had to do with the ship. Like how dose a huge cruise ship float?, journals, and reports on the ports.

This year with High school I am worried and I will not take the kids out of high school again. I will spend extra and take them while they are on break. It has just been too stressful worrying about the high school kids grades and missing out on activities.

But the schools have been supportive here in CA

Also my kids are A B students

DH Me DS 7 DD 11 DD 14
kimberlyelayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #27
reagansmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriV View Post
One other note - I do not ask permission to take them on vacation. I tell them when they will be absent and ask what work they would like them to do before, during, or after vacation.
That's my approach, too. We took DD (1st grade) out at the beginning of the year and will do it again next month. Oh well.
reagansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #28
kimberlyelayne
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriV View Post
That's a good point. I avoid state testing dates and the end of any given grading period (quarter or semester).
Yes I have always checked this prior to making our reservations.... good point!

DH Me DS 7 DD 11 DD 14
kimberlyelayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #29
DisneyMommy04
Earning My Ears

I am in NY and we have never had an issue with taking my son out for a week for a vacation. They will not give him work in advance to do while we are away but give him plenty of time to complete it when we return.

He is a good student so I'm sure that has also helped.
DisneyMommy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #30
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

The only one giving me a hard time is 13yo DD!!!!

We ended up booking during a week that she has two days off so that she'll only miss 3 days.

I don't think she'll ever hear the end of it from her older siblings who took every chance possible to miss school!

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: