Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
jbshell
Earning My Ears

Kids and missing school?

Did anybody's school give you grief for pulling your kids out of school for a week?
jbshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:44 AM   #2
Billinaz
Waiting to spend time in our home away from home.. cabin 12506!

Other than on here, no!

2015 and 2016 Aulani so no cruises on these years!

PAST CRUISES (13)
02/11/2004 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/03/2005 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 3 Day WDW and 4 Night Bahamas
02/04/2006 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Eastern
02/01/2007 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/04/2007 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 3 Night Bahamas
02/08/2008 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Eastern
02/07/2009 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Western
02/07/2010 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/27/2011 Dream Cabin 12506- & Cabana #3 Inaugural 4Night Bahamas
03/03/2011 Dream Cabin 12506- Missed CC - Inaugural 3 Night Bahamas
04/21/2012 Fantasy Cabin 12506 & Cabana #4- Inaugural 7 Night Eastern
04/20/2013 WDW Poly & Fantasy Cabin 12506 & Cabana 4- 7 Night Eastern
03/08/2014 WDW Poly & Fantasy Cabin 12506& Cabana 3- 7 Night Eastern
Billinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 01:57 AM   #3
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

We were concerned about the schools reaction. Ironically they were supportive and encouraged the sailing. Of course DD is an "A" student fwiw. Of course DD11 had to write a daily journal of events. Other than that they joked about it on the intercom at school. I was shocked.

Point is don't be shy. Ask your school. You might be surprised by their reaction. We were.

8 days, excused too, go figure.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:11 AM   #4
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billinaz View Post
Other than on here, no!
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:35 AM   #5
jpeppers
DIS Veteran

I really get sick of the thought that a school would have a problem with me taking my child on a vacation (as long as she was in good standing academically). My daughters school has late start every Wednesday and they cancel school if there is a trace of snow. They have teachers in service all the time but they want to suggest you are being neglectful if you try to take your child on vacation with notice even though they will cancel school at a moments notice leaving you to struggle for daycare. I have not had a problem with my daughters schools and have taken her out for the last few years for a week but I'm definitely starting to rethink it the older she gets and the more involved she is but as long as your child is doing well I think it should be your choice, a week out of school is not going to devestate a child who is doing well.
jpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:56 AM   #6
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

I have taken my DD10 out for vacation in the past. At her school they have independent study so she will not have any absences as long as she does her work while gone. My DD10 and I have spoken about this and she knows that she will be required to do schoolwork daily while in our cruise and WDW. She is a good student and has no problem having to do some school work. She even made comments about doing most of it on the airplane and layover so she can have more fun on the cruise and WDW.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

While we haven't had any trouble, I think it depends largely on where you live and what the rules are in that district. I understand from postings here that Texas is particularly strict about kids missing school for vacation - statewide law or something. That said, if your child is in good standing and you have good communication with the teacher(s), even if it's against "school policy" you may be able to get the work in advance and/or allow for make-up. Also, the older your child the more difficult it may be for him/her to catch up after several days out of the classroom. Many people report that starting around middle school they no longer pull their kids out of school for vacation because it's too hard to catch up. But that's an individual decision.

As to whether your school or district has a policy related to missed days for family vacation - you should check the student handbook. Personally, I think there is a lot "educational" that can be gained from a family vacation if it's approached the right way. Get creative in suggesting "assignments" your child could do while away and the teacher will appreciate your effort.
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

No. I'm in CA and as long as you apply for Independent study they don't care. My son was 5 when I took him out for a 2 week cruise. Taking him out didn't work out well though for us. It took him a month to reacclimatize to the school environment. He's only in kindergarten but the emotional and behavioral aftermath made taking him out a mistake.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
dorkeemn
Mouseketeer

We try to schedule around breaks - especially now that DD1 and DS are in High School. DD2 is still in elementary school (which isn't even graded) so when older two were younger it wasn't a problem.

HS here is a bit pickier - they never cancel school - unless there is a blizzard on the day of school (we've had school when there was a foot of fresh snow.) And they only allow 6 absence days in HS per year. If you exceed the number of absences they will automatically lower all grades by 1 letter - so an A becomes a B, B becomes a C, etc... Not worth it for a cruise or vacation. And yes our HS does a late start one day a week for teachers to communicate, plus at least 1 in service day a month.

When they were in MS and Elementary - it was never a problem to miss 4-5 days for a vacation. Teachers and admin understood and accepted that families couldn't always schedule around the school and their bureaucratic way of scheduling breaks.
dorkeemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
LoriV
Earning My Ears

We have taken our kids out of school for vacation many times over the years. We always email all the teachers about a month in advance and then again 1 week before we leave. Only one teacher has ever given us grief about it in all these years. Ironically enough, it was one their phy ed teachers. DD had to come to school early every day for a week to "make up" her gym classes. I had to laugh, though. I'm pretty sure she got way more physical activity on the excursions we did than she would have gotten at school.

Having said all that, our kids do not struggle academically, behaviorally or socially. If they did, the school might be more opposed to it. Of course, I wouldn't take them out if they were struggling anyway.
LoriV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
LoriV
Earning My Ears

One other note - I do not ask permission to take them on vacation. I tell them when they will be absent and ask what work they would like them to do before, during, or after vacation.
LoriV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriV View Post
One other note - I do not ask permission to take them on vacation. I tell them when they will be absent and ask what work they would like them to do before, during, or after vacation.

I'm still amused that when we did the EBPC, the only teacher who gave us a hard time was the geography teacher.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
braysmommy
DIS Veteran

My DS is only in kindergarten but his teacher was very supportive when I told her he would be missing 3 weeks of school for our upcoming Panama Canal cruise. He will make it back for the last 4 days of school since they are done the end of May. Now as he gets older I am not sure I would have him miss this much but for now not a problem.

Upcoming Southern Caribbean 1/16.
braysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
gemini2727
Mouseketeer

My kids' schools were always wonderful about them missing days for our vacation while they were in elementary and middle school. No problems or regrets at all...once high school rolled around, we decided it would be too much work to make up for my daughter, so no more trips during school time for us any more. I think the high school would have been less forgiving about the missed days as well.

(April 1976-Off Site) (April 1993-CB) (July 1998-ASMusic) (April 2006-ASMovies)
(March 2009-POR) (March 2010-POR) (Sept 2011-POR) (Aug 2012-POR) (Aug 2013-BC)

gemini2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #15
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

No, my son's teacher was fine with it. The school district's policy is to fill out a form, get it approved, and the days are considered unexcused. But, my son was still able to make up the work. I'm glad I did it 2 years ago and we're doing it again in a few weeks!
Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern October 2014
MissDaisyofTexas is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: