Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
momof4fans
Mouseketeer

Sunscreen for scalp?

Hello, I'm curious if any of you Disney fans have ever used sunscreen for your scalp? We all have hair, but me and my girls parts get sunburned when we're in the sun all day. I'll wear a hat sometimes, but I don't want to wear one for 5 days. My girls will probably wear a hat on and off, but not all day. I'm looking for one that doesn't make your hair greasy or gross looking. I'm asking on here because you are all so knowledgeable! Thanks!
momof4fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
bcla
DIS Veteran

There are some specific sunscreens that are designed for the scalp. Some are specific for use on hair, while others are non-sticky varieties that are suitable for both skin and around hair. Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Banana-Boat-Sp.../dp/B000P9IEO0

I knew someone with red hair who burned easily. She used to wear visors, which of course left the top of her head vulnerable. She'd actually use a hairpin to hold a small flap of hair from around the front to cover the part.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
pennyring
Thrift Ninja

Wish I knew about scalp screen two weeks ago! I've already survived the dandruff-like flakes and peeling this year.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
snvanvl
Earning My Ears

I have something similar to the sunscreen posted above but instead of spraying it on the scalp I take a q tip and dip it into the sunscreen then put it on my part that way.
snvanvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
hootey
DIS Veteran

Banana Boat works just fine for me
hootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
Misskitty3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snvanvl View Post
I have something similar to the sunscreen posted above but instead of spraying it on the scalp I take a q tip and dip it into the sunscreen then put it on my part that way.
What a great idea!
Disneyland: Nov '14-Hojo's... June '13-Hojo's.....May '12-BWPPI...May ’09-Hojo’s…Oct ‘07–Grand Californian…Nov ‘06–Paradise Pier...June ’04–Disneyland Hotel...June ‘96-Anaheim Hilton…July ‘95-Carousel Inn…Aug ’92–Carousel Inn…July ’90-Embassy Suites…July ’89-Anaheim Hilton…May ’88-Penny Sleeper…May ’87-Penny Sleeper…April ’77 (?)…June ’76 - Disneyland Hotel….June ‘73 First trip ever to Disneyland!!!

WDW: July ’94 - Marriott Orlando World Center.…April ’94 - Marriott Orlando World Center….July ’86 - Marriott Orlando World Center….April ’86 - Marriott Orlando World Center
Misskitty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
aussietravellers
who LOVE disney holidays!

Location: Australia or Austria... they are the same place aren't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
There are some specific sunscreens that are designed for the scalp. Some are specific for use on hair, while others are non-sticky varieties that are suitable for both skin and around hair. Here's one:

I knew someone with red hair who burned easily. She used to wear visors, which of course left the top of her head vulnerable. She'd actually use a hairpin to hold a small flap of hair from around the front to cover the part.
Wow, thank you for posting this! I've never heard of it.

OP. I do use sunscreen on the scalp and I have used it on DS scalp too. We only use that invisible zinc, so it was rather thick and took days to wash out of our hair, lol
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2009 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
aussietravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Everyday I put a tiny dab of regular sunscreen on my finger and rub it on the part in my hair. I don't rub it all over my hair, so it doesn't make my hair greasy. I don't like wearing hats, they give me a headache. I'm blonde and light skinned and this has been fine for me. I don't buy anything special.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
aliceindisneyland
DIS Veteran

Haha I never knew there was scalp sunscreen!
I have always made my own: a couple tablespoons of Coppertone Faces sunscreen (the regular, not the one with zinc) and water shaken together in a travel size spray bottle.
It is the only brand I have found that easily mixes with water, and DD has never gotten a sunburn on her part.
I apply it twice during the day in summer.
aliceindisneyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
natfrac
Mouseketeer

I use Neutrogena baby sunblock that comes in a stick. I have fine, thin hair and this stuff worked like a charm last September at WDW. I used my finger to apply, rubbing into the parts of my scalp I wanted to cover. I never noticed I had it on.
natfrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
bcla
DIS Veteran

Any sunscreen will obviously work to prevent sunscreen if it can be applied to the scalp. The main issues will be what's comfortable. You can try various things or just go with something marketed as suitable for application on the scalp.

I know I've accidentally gotten sunscreen on my hair, and certain types feel like I've spilled soda or honey on my hair. Some of the liquid ones with an alcohol base (stay away from any ignition source until it's dry) have a large amount of plastic bonding agents to help with water resistance and will harden like hairspray. I generally don't like how that feels.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #12
momof4fans
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post

I had no idea Banana Boat made a sunscreen for the scalp. I'll have to look at Walmart or Walgreens and see if they have it. That's awesome! Thank you!

I hate the feeling of sunscreen in my hair. I sprayed it on before when out hiking and stuff. And it makes my daughters hair look gross. They have fine blonde and light brown hair. It looks stringy. I know it's not a fashion show or anything, but I like to look halfway decent! I don't want to look like I need to wash my hair.

That's funny Aussietravelers. Was it like A&D ointment or something? Yuck!

I googled scalp suncreen and that Banana Boat one DID NOT come up. Weird. The only one I was considering was this dry mineral powder that you dusted on. It was pricey though.

Well, thanks everyone. As usual, you have come through!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #13
VandVsmama
Mouseketeer

I think that it would be definitely worthwhile to try out such a sunscreen at home on your scalp before you go to DL. Also I imagine that you would have to reapply it during the day like you would sunscreen on your face and arms.
VandVsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:10 AM   #14
momof4fans
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandVsmama View Post
I think that it would be definitely worthwhile to try out such a sunscreen at home on your scalp before you go to DL. Also I imagine that you would have to reapply it during the day like you would sunscreen on your face and arms.
I totally agree! Thanks
Old 05-04-2013, 01:38 AM   #15
zoeandjacks
Mouseketeer

If you happen to already have or use a powder mineral makeup, like Bare Escentuals or similar, it's really easy to dust some of that into your part. It has worked well for me. You can get some cheaper powder mineral makeups at the drugstore now too, i am sure Revlon or L'Oreal has one.

WDW Christmas Vacation 1992
DL 1998,1999, 2002, DCA Christmas 2002, DL/DCA Christmas 2004, DL/DCA March 2013.

Next trip: DL/DCA 11/29-12/4/2013 for DS's 7th birthday!!!
zoeandjacks is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: