Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #16
burnurcomputer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
Never thought of it that way can't think of the last time I owned a pair though I guess they still sell them
5 Below usually has them in store. They might not be the the most adult looking aka. teen prints or crazy color mixture, but they would get the job done on a budget

BTW, I also attract the strange ones too!
burnurcomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #17
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
Never thought of it that way can't think of the last time I owned a pair though I guess they still sell them
They are making a huge comeback. A lot of younger people are switching to them. My DD finds them much more comfortable. In fact the Dr. Dre Beats (if I spelled that correctly) are hugely popular and quite expensive ($200 - $300).

I purchased the SkullCandy purple ones for my DD for around $30 on line. But I'm sure you can find a pair of headphones at Wal-Mart or Target.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #18
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

A bit expensive, but DH and DS have these ones, and love them. DH thinks that unless there is a lot of bass, you might as well not listen to the song.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i01 (we paid nowhere near that price, but I included the type anyway, just in case you decide to google and see where to buy them)
rszdtrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #19
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Wow.

Is it really so wrong for someone to start a conversation on the bus or subway and be friendly?

Must we all stick headphones in our ears and avoid eye contact at all costs?

I usually try to be friendly to anyone sitting next to me and will strike up a conversation (NOT if they have a book open) if possible.

Never thought I'd be looked at for being weird for attempting to be nice.

Gone are the good ole' days when people actually TALKED.
threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #20
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Thanks I will look into the big headphones of I can get them for less then 35 dollars that would be great
Old 01-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #21
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Wow.

Is it really so wrong for someone to start a conversation on the bus or subway and be friendly?

I usually try to be friendly to anyone sitting next to me and will strike up a conversation (NOT if they have a book open) if possible.

I'm sorry but yes, it is a problem when people ask you where you work, where you live, and other very personal details after knowing you for all of 5 seconds. This is not "friendly" conversation. This is about people are invasive and keep asking the same questions over and over. I have had people ask me where I work, am I married, where I live, if I have kids, etc.. Sorry bus stranger, I'm not telling you that when you didn't even tell my your name. Not everyone is looking for a pleasant conversation and a new friend.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #22
Ceila
DIS Veteran

OP, if I recall correctly, you had a lot of anxiety over taking the bus previously, and you were worried about something horrible happening to you on your way to work. It sounds like you may be misinterpreting normal conversation as sinister based on your own fears instead of what is actually taking place. Have you talked to a therapist about this?

Last edited by Ceila; 01-07-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: quoted another poster by mistake, edited it out
Ceila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #23
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceila View Post
If I recall correctly, you had a lot of anxiety over taking the bus previously, and you were worried about something horrible happening to you on your way to work. It sounds like you may be misinterpreting normal conversation as sinister based on your own fears instead of what is actually taking place. Have you talked to a therapist about this?
I'm assuming you meant to quote the OP and not me??? Not sure.
It has been at least 7 years since I have taken public transportation, well before I was on the DIS and I have never talked about it before. I never had any issues with it in the 2 1/2 year I took the train. In fact I really liked it because I didn't have to deal with traffic and could spend the time reading. Needles to say I did a lot more reading back then. I just don't like it when the first thing out of someones mouth is "Where do you live?". Fortunately that didn't happen often.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #24
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

I feel like I must come from another planet or something.

I would have NO PROBLEM whatsoever with someone asking me if I had kids Sure, I do! I have 3 of them! Boys! Gosh, it's even in my screen name here on DIS, and as far as I know, all of you are STRANGERS!

I have no problem telling people where I live either. Not street address, lol, but certainly the town, and I'm sure that's all people are wondering when they ask you where you're from, lol.

When I ask you on the plane or wherever if you're from around here, I am most certainly NOT looking to attack you or rob you or kidnap your children, lol. I am just looking to be a little friendly in a very cold and mean world....
threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #25
Ceila
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
I'm assuming you meant to quote the OP and not me??? Not sure.
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to hit "quote!" I'll edit it right now...
Ceila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #26
abdmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I would have NO PROBLEM whatsoever with someone asking me if I had kids Sure, I do! I have 3 of them! Boys! Gosh, it's even in my screen name here on DIS, and as far as I know, all of you are STRANGERS!

I have no problem telling people where I live either. Not street address, lol, but certainly the town, and I'm sure that's all people are wondering when they ask you where you're from, lol.

When I ask you on the plane or wherever if you're from around here, I am most certainly NOT looking to attack you or rob you or kidnap your children, lol. I am just looking to be a little friendly in a very cold and mean world....
Some people's situations make them more vulnerable. Disclosing their life circumstances is not always in their best interest.
abdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #27
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

And they what to know the exact location of the school and given what just happen up north I am not giving it out.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #28
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I've had people, who after telling them what town I lived in, then ask what street, do you live near XYZ. Sorry, I don't feel comfortable telling a strange guy I've never seen before anything like that. Plus a bus only goes so far, there is a good chance we all live in the same town. A public bus or train at 10pm is a much different crowd than a plane. They guy asking could just get off the bus when you do and follow you home. (Sure someone could do that from a plane but that would need to be way more dedicated, lol)
As a young woman traveling alone I never felt comfortable with men talking to me and questioning me like that. Maybe they weren't sinister but they weren't "nice" guys either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceila View Post
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to hit "quote!" I'll edit it right now...
No problem. I was just confused.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #29
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

Quote:
Wow.

No, it's not wrong for someone to initiate a conversation on the bus, or anywhere for that matter. But. If the other person obviously doesn't want to converse, then let them be. Not all of us are outgoing people (sounds like you are and there is nothing wrong with that) and not all of us want to have conversations with total strangers.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #30
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

When did I get to be the bad guy for wanting to keep my coworkers safe as well as the kids I work with

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: