Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #1
minerva78
Mouseketeer

Emerald Island vs. Indian Creek

I've been researching some 4 BR rental homes and I think I'll probably end up trying to get one at Indian Creek or Emerald Island. Both of these seem to be fairly close to the parks and I've found decent prices at both, although Indian Creek homes are generally a little cheaper. The main differences I can find is that Emerald Island has resort-type amenities and security gates while Indian Creek does not. For anyone who has stayed at these two locations, or similar ones, did you find yourself utilizing the resort amenities or did you mainly spend time at your rental home? I'm trying to decide if any resort features really matter if you spend most of the time at parks. We'd be doing either a 6 or 7 night stay but probably 4 days at the parks - no parks on arrival and departure days and one "break" day. We'd probably come back to the house each day for a break after lunch and likely go back to parks in the evening - our group would consist of both adults and children. I guess I'm just trying to get an idea of whether or not you value and use resort amenities when you're at a rental home, if that's a deciding factor when choosing a home. TIA!
minerva78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
AJKMOM
DIS Veteran

Hoping to also see what others recommend!
AJKMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

We're going on a trip with extended family in February and we just rented a house in Emerald Island. I also was going to look at Indian Creek, but we looked online first at Emerald Island and something came up that was available and looked good for us so we just went ahead and booked it.

I'll report back after our trip.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
Melknor
Mouseketeer

We stayed at Indian Creek in 2011. It was great having our own private pool. Personally I think if I have a private pool, I would never use the resort amenities anyway. The house we rented had a game room as well, so that provide several options during "down time".

April 2010 TR - Aloha Adventures with Stink-eye, Chunk Hurling and Pixie Dust 4/21 - 4/27
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post36477614

May/June 2011 - Off Site - Indian Creek

July 2014 - Disneyland - 1st Trip!!

Me , DH , DS9 & DS14
Melknor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
minerva78
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melknor View Post
We stayed at Indian Creek in 2011. It was great having our own private pool. Personally I think if I have a private pool, I would never use the resort amenities anyway. The house we rented had a game room as well, so that provide several options during "down time".
That's what I was kinda thinking as well. I think I'm leaning towards Indian Creek because I am doubting we would really use the resort amenities if we stayed at Emerald Island. I'm definitely finding better deals with Indian Creek. Even though I believe it's an older development, I don't think that would matter much to me as long as the house was clean and we had a pool, spa, and game room.
minerva78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #6
formill
DIS Veteran

We've stayed in villas several times- one area had it's own community pool- we never used it when have our own. The only thing we have ever used is playgrounds -and Indian Creek has basketball,tennis and 2 playgrounds-those areas we have used. Indian Creek is nice area to go for a walk too- pretty big and has some paths around lake etc.
formill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
Booogie27
Earning My Ears

We rented a home in Emerald Isle in 2005 and 2007. We didn't use any of the resort ammenities. The location was perfect. More restaurants of all types than you could ever need just a few minutes away. The drive to the main gates of the Disney parks was very minimal.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

We've stayed at Indian Creek 2x and LOVED it there! I even tried to talk dh into buying a home there
We stayed in Dream house this past time http://www.houseforrentflorida.net/en/houses.php and had stayed in a different house the owner had the previous 2 years. I highly recommend his homes! They are clean, well kept and they have curtains on the windows! Can't stand just white blinds as then my kids are up at the crack of dawn!
I also think IC is closer time wise to the parks..think 5-6 min. to AK, 8-9 to HS, 10-11 to MK, and 13-14 to Epcot.
Plus 10 minutes down the road you have a Supertarget, Publix, Flippers pizza, Giordanos, Baham Breeze etc. A bunch of the places are new having been built in the past 2 years.

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
turning into fanatic
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveysbydesign View Post
We've stayed at Indian Creek 2x and LOVED it there! I even tried to talk dh into buying a home there
We stayed in Dream house this past time http://www.houseforrentflorida.net/en/houses.php and had stayed in a different house the owner had the previous 2 years. I highly recommend his homes! They are clean, well kept and they have curtains on the windows! Can't stand just white blinds as then my kids are up at the crack of dawn!
I also think IC is closer time wise to the parks..think 5-6 min. to AK, 8-9 to HS, 10-11 to MK, and 13-14 to Epcot.
Plus 10 minutes down the road you have a Supertarget, Publix, Flippers pizza, Giordanos, Baham Breeze etc. A bunch of the places are new having been built in the past 2 years.
We are staying at this owners other home in Indian Creek the first week of December. If I mapquest directions to the park is that sufficient, or are there back roads that will get us there quicker?

11/30/13-12/7/13 Staying offsite at house, surprising kids! My parents are coming along too!!

Spring Break 2012 - First visit to WDW(stayed at Orange Lake), very crowded but still had a blast!
turning into fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turning into fanatic View Post
We are staying at this owners other home in Indian Creek the first week of December. If I mapquest directions to the park is that sufficient, or are there back roads that will get us there quicker?
It's super easy to get to the parks!
When going to AK turn left onto Formosa Gardens, then right onto Rte 192, then left onto Sherberth, follow to the next light and make a right and then the next immediate left(kind of a like a crossover through the middle of the road) and AK entrance will be directly in front of you
When going to the other parks we always went left out onto Formosa, then right onto Livingston(1st road on your right, maybe 2 blocks down), go about 1 mile to stop sign and then left onto Old Lake Wilson, go about 1 mile and then right onto 192(this avoids all the lights on 192) and then the 1st exit, about 3/4 mile down, is the main drag to all the parks.
Enjoy for us as we aren't able to go this fall./winter.

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
sympatico
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by turning into fanatic View Post
On this map you can follow the purple line, which runs by Indian Creek #11, to the red line and turn left at the red line and follow it into Disney via Sherberth Rd. OR follow the purple line to the green line to the red line and turn left and follow Sherberth into Disney. It's a quick way to Animal Kingdom but you can get to the rest of Disney also by following the signs. Otherwise you'll be turning right onto 192 and following it to the exit for World Dr. which is a few miles east.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...mid=1384871061
If you click on the lines, directions will pop up. All Disney markers are pink.
When returning from the parks follow the signs for Animal Kingdom then as you get closer stay to the left for Animal Kingdom Lodge. This will take you to the lights for Sherberth Rd. Turn left and follow Sherberth back to 192 and return to Indian Creek or where ever.
Lindfields: twice, Lake Davenport, Venice hotel,Oak Plantation, St. Pete's Beach Hilton, Wyndham Cypress Palms, Pink Shell Fort Myers Beach, Liki Tiki Village, Grand Reserve, Rotonda Lakes near Port Charlotte,Windsor Hills: 5 times, Indian Creek (twice), Emerald Island (4 times), Reunion Resort (twice) Sunset Lakes, Crestwynd Bay, Briarwood in Naples

Last edited by sympatico; 11-19-2013 at 08:41 AM.
sympatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
turning into fanatic
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sympatico View Post
On this map you can follow the purple line, which runs by Indian Creek #11, to the red line and turn left at the red line and follow it into Disney via Sherberth Rd. OR follow the purple line to the green line to the red line and turn left and follow Sherberth into Disney. It's a quick way to Animal Kingdom but you can get to the rest of Disney also by following the signs. Otherwise you'll be turning right onto 192 and following it to the exit for World Dr. which is a few miles east.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...mid=1384871061
If you click on the lines, directions will pop up. All Disney markers are pink.
When returning from the parks follow the signs for Animal Kingdom then as you get closer stay to the left for Animal Kingdom Lodge. This will take you to the lights for Sherberth Rd. Turn left and follow Sherberth back to 192 and return to Indian Creek or where ever.
Quote:
It's super easy to get to the parks!
When going to AK turn left onto Formosa Gardens, then right onto Rte 192, then left onto Sherberth, follow to the next light and make a right and then the next immediate left(kind of a like a crossover through the middle of the road) and AK entrance will be directly in front of you
When going to the other parks we always went left out onto Formosa, then right onto Livingston(1st road on your right, maybe 2 blocks down), go about 1 mile to stop sign and then left onto Old Lake Wilson, go about 1 mile and then right onto 192(this avoids all the lights on 192) and then the 1st exit, about 3/4 mile down, is the main drag to all the parks.
Enjoy for us as we aren't able to go this fall./winter.
Thank you so much!! We will be sure to enjoy.

11/30/13-12/7/13 Staying offsite at house, surprising kids! My parents are coming along too!!

Spring Break 2012 - First visit to WDW(stayed at Orange Lake), very crowded but still had a blast!
turning into fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
rt2dz
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at both. Both are close to the parks and both were great. We did not use the resort amenities and I don't personally believe they are worth the extra. Also, if you come in at a peak time, the gates back up. Not really a big deal and very common of gated communities; we live our real lives in a gated neighborhood. That is the worst I can say about Emerald island. As for Indian Creek, it is a mix of rentals and full time residents. Some of the full time homes weren't maintained as well since looking good isn't required to pay for the place.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 11-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #14
rt2dz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We've stayed at Indian Creek 2x and LOVED it there! I even tried to talk dh into buying a home there We stayed in Dream house this past time http://www.houseforrentflorida.net/en/houses.php and had stayed in a different house the owner had the previous 2 years. I highly recommend his homes! They are clean, well kept and they have curtains on the windows! Can't stand just white blinds as then my kids are up at the crack of dawn! I also think IC is closer time wise to the parks..think 5-6 min. to AK, 8-9 to HS, 10-11 to MK, and 13-14 to Epcot. Plus 10 minutes down the road you have a Supertarget, Publix, Flippers pizza, Giordanos, Baham Breeze etc. A bunch of the places are new having been built in the past 2 years.
I can second this! We've stayed in Michael's homes too.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards