Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
cheshiregoofy22
Earning My Ears

2 Rooms at POP or 1 at Boardwalk?

We are a family of five (three teenagers - 2 girls and a boy) visiting this May. When the kiddos were younger, we shared one room at POR AB and all was fine. Though I wish we could afford two deluxe rooms, it's not in our cards. I've booked us for two rooms at POP but I'm interested in any thoughts on five in one room at a deluxe such as BW or BC or YC (since we all LOVE EPCOT). We're used to one bathroom at home so that's not really an issue - I'm wondering if the deluxe "daybed" is "adult-sized" or if it's wicked cute (and perhaps tiny) like what I see in the pictures at POR these days? Thank you for weighing in!
cheshiregoofy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:55 PM   #2
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshiregoofy22 View Post
We are a family of five (three teenagers - 2 girls and a boy) visiting this May. When the kiddos were younger, we shared one room at POR AB and all was fine. Though I wish we could afford two deluxe rooms, it's not in our cards. I've booked us for two rooms at POP but I'm interested in any thoughts on five in one room at a deluxe such as BW or BC or YC (since we all LOVE EPCOT). We're used to one bathroom at home so that's not really an issue - I'm wondering if the deluxe "daybed" is "adult-sized" or if it's wicked cute (and perhaps tiny) like what I see in the pictures at POR these days? Thank you for weighing in!
The daybeds at the deluxes are pretty big. Closer to a twin bed than what you had at POR. I'd pick the BWI or BC/YC over POP for teenagers. They would have easy access to walk to Epcot or DHS, and you wouldn't need to worry about them getting on a Disney bus to do so.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #3
cheshiregoofy22
Earning My Ears

Thank you!!!
Old 01-28-2015, 04:18 PM   #4
patty57
DIS Veteran

Just to cloud the picture...
When my boys hit their teens, I really needed a separate room from them. As much as the Epcot resorts is my favorite location to stay, I would go for two rooms somewhere else.
On the other hand...how about a one bedroom at BWV or BCV? You could bring an air mattress for the floor for one of them. Have you priced two rooms at the Swan & Dolphin? They have some pretty good discounts such as AAA, teacher, nurse etc.
patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

I would get an Art of A suite or 2 rooms somewhere. I love Art of A. It's a lively fun place to stay.

Having 2 bathrooms would be well worth it. (Or, rent a 1BR DVC unit at BLT or Kidaini that have 2 bathrooms in the 1BR units. But that gets expensive)

I have 4 kids. When they get bigger, things get more complicated.
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
OurLaughingPlace
Mouseketeer

We stayed at Beach Club with 5 people and my DD (13 at the time) was very comfortable on the day bed. The Boardwalk area is perfect with teens as they can walk the Boardwalk by themselves, go mini golfing at Fantasia, walk into Epcot ... We were fine with the space in the room, but to be honest, we are rarely in the room. We are usually at the parks or in Stormalong Bay. I would choose a Boardwalk area resorts over 2 value rooms for the location.
Have fun
August 2015 (2 nights at Beach Club followed by 2 weeks at POFQ with Free Dining ) POFQ August 2014; Disney Fantasy Cruise and Beach Club August 2013; POFQ August 2012; POFQ August 2011; POFQ and POP August 2010; POFQ August 2009; PORS and Disney Magic Cruise at Christmas 2009; POFQ August 2008; POFQ August 2007; AS Sports August 2006
Offsite Christmas 2003 and 2005
OurLaughingPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:25 PM   #7
chefmb
DIS Veteran

If your family is good with the togetherness and one bathroom that one hotel room would give you, then the reasons mentioned are definitely good reasons to stay at BWI. My DH really wanted the extra space once our boys were older, so for our last 3 family trips (since 2007), we had two rooms at POP. One thing to really think about is bedtime. Our sons would stay up later than we did, so the separate room for them helped keep everyone happy--we could sleep when we wanted and they didn't have to go to bed until they were ready.

1996-Dolphin, 1999-offsite, 2003-CBR, 2007-2010-2013-POP, 2011-POFQ, 2012-BC, 2013-CBR, 2014-CSR
chefmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #8
JJsmama
WDW addict

The day bed in the deluxes is great. My boys generally argue who gets it bc they like it.

I have 3 kids too all boys though,2 teens and a 7 yr. whenever we go on vacation, we find a place with lots of space-- some sort of villa or house, or 2 hotel rooms at the very least. It is just not relaxing to be all crammed in.

That said, at WDW only, we don't get two rooms. We just are not in the room enough to matter. Every year I wring my hands over one or two rooms and even my teens say, "Mom, chill. It's fine with one room." It is a bit of a crush in the mornings, but since we are a Rope Drop family, our rule is No Primping in the mornings. We go in summer and so we just look terrible and sweaty after a few minutes at the park anyway. We take a break after lunch every day and go to the pool, chill at resort. At that time, we all can have leisurely bathroom time, etc before dinner. If everyone in your party needs to shower, makeup, hair gel.... Before you leave the room in the morning, the I would choose two rooms.

That said, I still prefer deluxe and choose 1 deluxe over 2 others. Mostly for the locations and convenience.

Contemporary x 6 trips, Polynesian x 4 trips, Beach Club x 2 trip, Animal Kingdom Lodge x 1 trip, Wilderness Lodge x 1 trip, Port Orleans R / FQ x 3 trips, All Stars Movies x 1 trip, Tokyo DisneyLand and Tokyo DisneySea x 1 trip, Disney Cruise line x 3 cruises

Grand Floridian Here We Come! Summer 2015
JJsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:35 PM   #9
VickieMouse
Mouseketeer

My Vote is BC or BWI

Although I don't have 3 teens so I can't speak from experience, I would definitely go with 1 room near Epcot. Location can't be beat! I think the pros to that location outweigh having more space, beds, baths, etc. How often and for how long will all 5 of you be in the room anyway?
VickieMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:47 PM   #10
lovewdwdvc
DIS Veteran

Independence

My kids would prefer one room at Boardwalk to two someplace else. Location is everything.

RESORTS: POP, ASSp, Poly, BWI, SSR, CBR, Swan, VWL, AKL, Dixie Landings, POR, PORFQ,BWV. BCV, Fort Wilderness Cabin, BCV
lovewdwdvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #11
cheshiregoofy22
Earning My Ears

We don't spend much time in the room for sure and I'm beginning to think we can deal with suitcase Armageddon for a week in exchange for a hop,skip, and a jump to Epcot! We are also rope drop people and though we have zero experience with the new fastpass + system... I suspect we will continue our early morning style. Thanks for all the great advice and ideas! So excited!
Old 01-28-2015, 08:49 PM   #12
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

i don't love the idea of 5 in a room but I wouldn't stay at a value. the convenience of bw would win out. have you thought about going with a deluxe room? bigger and include the club level amenities but probably cheaper then two rooms.

2015October 8 days ambassador suite June- 5 day concierge double dip dream cruise 10 days bwi deluxe room cl March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 4 days GF RPC Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
jcjen519 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:33 PM   #13
Pattil1960
Mouseketeer

Have you thought about renting points and getting a larger villa at the Boardwalk?
Pattil1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM   #14
Fruto76
DIS Veteran

I would absolutely go for an Epcot Resort room. With my oldest in college, we now have 3 kids, ages 11-16 that are with us and we choose an Epcot resort 98% of the time.
If you allow them, they can come and go very easily to 2 parks within walking distance. Half my crew showers at night, so that does alleviate the bathroom congestion in the morning.
Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM   #15
Disneytam
disneytam

Have you thought about a club level room at the Boardwalk Inn. Depending on what time of year you go the rooms are often only $30-$50 dollars a night more than the standard size rooms and having three teenagers just being able to have an early breakfast in the lounge before you head off to rope drop would save you plenty. They comfortably sleep five and you have the extra room of the lounge area as well. So the kids could go to the lounge at 7:00 am and be having breakfast and watching tv while the parents get ready.

I don't know about your teenagers but the drinks and snacks alone save me a bundle with my teenage son. It's also really nice to have snacks when you come back from the parks at night. Just another thing to think about.
Disneytam is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: