Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
xjay
Mouseketeer

Late Flight or Early Arrival?

So I'm about to buy our flight tickets for our December trip before airline prices start going up. Now I'm debating if we should book a late flight the day before our initial arrival date or leave early in the morning .

Originally, I was going to book us the earliest flight for Wednesday, Dec 10, which leaves at 6:15am and arrives at MCO at 9:30am. That would mean that we would have to leave for the airport around 4 AM. But out of curiosity this morning, I checked for late flights the day before and there is a flight that leaves at 7:50pm and arrives at MCO at 10:55pm for the same price. The only thing is that we would have to book an extra night at a value/mod before our AKL stay on the 10th.

I'm not sure if we should do the late flight or early arrival. With the late flight, we'll be able to have an earlier start to our day on the 10th. But we only have one night booked at AKL before we finish the rest of our vacation at the CR. So that would mean a lot of moving from resort to resort. I'm not sure if the hassle is worth it. Also, I don't know if my bf will be able to leave work early if we end up doing the late flight. He usually works on Tuesdays until about 10pm and he's already asked his boss for his vacation days. I'm not sure his boss will allow him to leave early an extra day..

But if we do the early arrival, then I'm scared that we'll be so tired from the plane ride that he would just want to nap at the hotel until the afternoon, which I don't mind, but I want to hit the parks ASAP.

AHHHHH! All of this planning is starting to make me go crazy...

What would you do? Help please!

Disneyland - Countless Times as a Kid
December 2013 - Off-Site *** December 2014 - AKL CL/Contemporary CL

Our Little Family :
Me(22) DBF(23) DDog(Kapu) DDog(Keanu)
xjay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjay View Post
So I'm about to buy our flight tickets for our December trip before airline prices start going up. Now I'm debating if we should book a late flight the day before our initial arrival date or leave early in the morning .

Originally, I was going to book us the earliest flight for Wednesday, Dec 10, which leaves at 6:15am and arrives at MCO at 9:30am. That would mean that we would have to leave for the airport around 4 AM. But out of curiosity this morning, I checked for late flights the day before and there is a flight that leaves at 7:50pm and arrives at MCO at 10:55pm for the same price. The only thing is that we would have to book an extra night at a value/mod before our AKL stay on the 10th.

I'm not sure if we should do the late flight or early arrival. With the late flight, we'll be able to have an earlier start to our day on the 10th. But we only have one night booked at AKL before we finish the rest of our vacation at the CR. So that would mean a lot of moving from resort to resort. I'm not sure if the hassle is worth it. Also, I don't know if my bf will be able to leave work early if we end up doing the late flight. He usually works on Tuesdays until about 10pm and he's already asked his boss for his vacation days. I'm not sure his boss will allow him to leave early an extra day..

But if we do the early arrival, then I'm scared that we'll be so tired from the plane ride that he would just want to nap at the hotel until the afternoon, which I don't mind, but I want to hit the parks ASAP.

We have done both and we prefer to take a late flight the night before and add another night to our resort reservation. If it were me, I'd book another night at AKL and only move once vs adding a value or mod the first night, then moving to AKL for only 1 night, then moving again to CR. Moving 2 times with the first 2 nights being at different resorts would be too much moving for me. Good luck with your decision, although I'm sure you'll have a great trip no matter which flight you choose .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:

Chances are your room will not be ready in the morning when you get there. So you can either hang around the pool or lobby or head to a park until you get the text that it is ready. You might get lucky and it will be ready but I would not count on it.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
Wild4Walt
DIS Veteran

We fly in the night prior quite a bit - it tends to take some of the pressure off. Meaning if my flight is delayed on my arrival day then I tend to start thinking about all the fun Disney stuff I am missing!

If you are planning on using MDE, you may want to consider staying at the Hyatt at the airport for the one night ( it's actually attached to the airport ).

POR Oct 14 / POP Oct 12 / Poly Oct 12 / CBR Nov 11 / POR Oct 10 /Pop May 10/Poly Nov 09 / CBR Mar 09 / BWI - Feb 09 / BC- Oct 08 / POFQ - Feb 08 / SSR- Dec 07 / POR - Oct 07 / Poly Oct 05
Wild4Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
wdwjeffc37
DisneyWorldFan

We always take the early flight which means waking up at 4:30 AM. Arriving at MCO about 10:00 AM. Usually by the time we get through the airport down to the Magical Expressw we get to the resort about noon or so. Most of time our room is ready when we get there. I always do online check in and put down our expected arrival time. Then we drop off our carry-ons and head right to the park. If we get tired we can always make an earlier night of it. Using FP+ this last time was great because we were able to make reservations for some bigger rides that afternoon. Before FP+ that would have been impossible. If the room is not ready we leave our stuff with bell services and then head out.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

most places we travel, I prefer the late night flights. That way we can start first thing the next morning. I usually always stay in cheap hotels so paying for an extra night is no biggie. When we go during free dining, its a no brainer since we get a whole day's extra meal credits.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #7
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Some people fly in at night, stay at the hotel in the airport, then leave for disney in the A.M.
Upatnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #8
xjay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
We have done both and we prefer to take a late flight the night before and add another night to our resort reservation. If it were me, I'd book another night at AKL and only move once vs adding a value or mod the first night, then moving to AKL for only 1 night, then moving again to CR. Moving 2 times with the first 2 nights being at different resorts would be too much moving for me. Good luck with your decision, although I'm sure you'll have a great trip no matter which flight you choose .
I would do this, but the thing is that for our AKL stay, we're staying CL. If we're arriving that late, then booking another night for the same room isn't worth it since the lounge closes at 10 and we probably won't get to the resort until about 12am if we did the late flight. That's why I suggested doing a value or mod. But I don't think my bf is too keen on moving resorts that much .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Chances are your room will not be ready in the morning when you get there. So you can either hang around the pool or lobby or head to a park until you get the text that it is ready. You might get lucky and it will be ready but I would not count on it.
Chances are they might not if we went for the earlier flight because then we would arrive at the resort around 11am, but if we did, I'm sure my bf would rather nap than hit the parks, which is what I don't want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild4Walt View Post
We fly in the night prior quite a bit - it tends to take some of the pressure off. Meaning if my flight is delayed on my arrival day then I tend to start thinking about all the fun Disney stuff I am missing!

If you are planning on using MDE, you may want to consider staying at the Hyatt at the airport for the one night ( it's actually attached to the airport ).
We are using DME and we won't be renting a car. When you mentioned that, I looked into prices at the Hyatt and it's $170/night. It would be cheaper if we stayed in a value or mod and just switched to AKL if we were going to be staying at another hotel. Plus, there would be no point in booking the later flight since we would arrive at AKL at the same time as if we were leaving for the earlier flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwjeffc37 View Post
We always take the early flight which means waking up at 4:30 AM. Arriving at MCO about 10:00 AM. Usually by the time we get through the airport down to the Magical Expressw we get to the resort about noon or so. Most of time our room is ready when we get there. I always do online check in and put down our expected arrival time. Then we drop off our carry-ons and head right to the park. If we get tired we can always make an earlier night of it. Using FP+ this last time was great because we were able to make reservations for some bigger rides that afternoon. Before FP+ that would have been impossible. If the room is not ready we leave our stuff with bell services and then head out.
That's what I was thinking of doing! Were you tired at all from that earlier flight? I know I won't be since I'll be too excited to be at Disney, but I'm not sure about my bf since he doesn't really want to go on this trip anyways. He's only going because I'm making him go for my birthday

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine amj View Post
most places we travel, I prefer the late night flights. That way we can start first thing the next morning. I usually always stay in cheap hotels so paying for an extra night is no biggie. When we go during free dining, its a no brainer since we get a whole day's extra meal credits.
We aren't going for FD, but that is what I was thinking of doing, late night and early start. It would be easier to plan the day that way.

Our Little Family :
Old 08-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #9
Tiggr924
Fun, fun, fun, fun, FUN!

A lot depends on cost and what you're hoping to do the first day. On our last trip we took a 5am flight, which personally I didn't mind. But we also didn't plan to go in the park so resting at the pool made is an easy day. We typically do an early flight in order to get the most out of our vacation, which it seems like you leaving the night before may allow you to do that.

On our most recent trip we had a split stay and decided we probably would never do it again because the time we wasted moving hotels wasn't worth it. We checked out, took a cab, and then checked into the other hotel and it felt like a lot of work. I know a lot of people post on the boards about split stays and it not being a big deal, but we felt like it was a hassle.

1986 ~ Hotel Plaza 1988,1991,1993 off-site 1995,1997 ~Doubletree, Hotel Plaza 2000, 2003, 2005 All-Star Movies 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013 Caribbean Beach Resort 2008, 2009, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside
Tiggr924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #10
tinkerbella16
DIS Veteran

We have never flown the night before, but it sounds like a great idea and then getting a good nights sleep to start the first full day. I would probably do this, if my resort had availability so we didn't have to switch. It can be a hassle.

We always take the first flight out on our arrival day, so the day starts by waking up by 3am and I can never sleep anyway so its never a big deal for me and I am up at 4am on a normal day for work. By the end of the first day though, we are exhausted so we usually call it a night a little earlier than the rest of the trip. We always do Epcot on arrival day since its the most laid back park and we can take our time to do things and take it all in, have dinner at one of the many restaurants then head back to the resort.

tinkerbella16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:24 PM   #11
lroger01
DIS Veteran

You mentioned you weren't sure if your BF could get off early to fly in the night before. That alone tells me you should stick with the morning flight. Since he's not totally on board for this trip, he may not try too hard to get the time off. And if he can't, you're stuck with trying to change flights.

You don't mention how long your trip is. If it's close to a week then I'd plan your first day for travel. Get a flight that allows your BF to get a decent nights sleep, even if it means arriving after noon. FP+ means you'll still get on a few good rides that first afternoon/evening at the parks.

Since your BF doesn't really want to go, I'd do everything I reasonably can to ensure he has a stress free/exhaustion free trip - so he'll want to come back!

AKL is an awesome resort. If he does want to nap when you first get to the room, you can always spend time exploring the resort or watching the animals from your balcony. The parks will be there when everyone is rested and ready to go.

Remember forum newbies
When responding to first timers, please make an effort to spell out acronyms the first time you use them in a post. The newbies will thank you!
lroger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #12
mickeyinjune
Mouseketeer

We have done both. My favorite was when we came in the night before, we stayed at the value resort so an extra night was not much of an expense. It was a much more relaxed way to travel. The flight for us is 2.5 hours non stop. The DME is less crowded in the evening and we picked up our luggage and took it on DME with us since we arrived at 11pm. Check in was empty and the room was ready. We went right to our room then went swimming which we had the pool mostly to ourselves. We got up early for the extra magic hour the next day and enjoyed the less crowded hour.(his was before FP+)

You said you were arriving on Dec 10th, Dec 11th is the extra magic morning hour for MK.(something to think about.)

When we do the early travel day we do not go to the parks, we usually just stay at the resort or do a waterpark.
mickeyinjune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:50 PM   #13
GoingtoWDWagain
All because two people fell in love.....

I'm having the same dilemma Although, I'm leaning towards our usual early morning flight. I don't like or enjoy the early rush to the airport, we usually leave by 4:00am to make our 6:30am/7:00am flight. But arriving early gives our family a chance to make sure we're happy with our room, pick up some snacks, beverages at the store, relax by the pool till dinner time or head to a park and have dinner there. We're only debating for this Christmas trip on a morning or evening flight due to the difference in airfare (morning flight is $84.00 more per person). We once took an evening flight arrived at AKL around 11:30pm had booked a pool view room. When we went to our room it was a parking lot view. We went back to the front desk, they apologized for the error but all pool view rooms were taken so we had to wait till the morning to switch rooms, the room the next morning wasn't ready till 2:00pm. Not that this is the norm but because of that experience and now being a family of 5 including two little ones, I'd rather check in once to one room till the end of our stay. Whichever you decide I wish you a magical trip

Villa's at the Grand Floridian
GoingtoWDWagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #14
xjay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggr924 View Post
A lot depends on cost and what you're hoping to do the first day. On our last trip we took a 5am flight, which personally I didn't mind. But we also didn't plan to go in the park so resting at the pool made is an easy day. We typically do an early flight in order to get the most out of our vacation, which it seems like you leaving the night before may allow you to do that.

On our most recent trip we had a split stay and decided we probably would never do it again because the time we wasted moving hotels wasn't worth it. We checked out, took a cab, and then checked into the other hotel and it felt like a lot of work. I know a lot of people post on the boards about split stays and it not being a big deal, but we felt like it was a hassle.
Well, I was hoping to hit AK after we check in since we have lunch ressies at Yak & Yeti at 1pm and then stay at AK until the afternoon. Then go to MK at night since I have a dinner ressie at CP at 7:30pm as well. That's why I was thinking of leaving the night before. That way we'll be well rested before hitting the parks, but booking another night at a value or mod for one night and then switching resorts and then switching again the next day is such a hassle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbella16 View Post
We have never flown the night before, but it sounds like a great idea and then getting a good nights sleep to start the first full day. I would probably do this, if my resort had availability so we didn't have to switch. It can be a hassle.

We always take the first flight out on our arrival day, so the day starts by waking up by 3am and I can never sleep anyway so its never a big deal for me and I am up at 4am on a normal day for work. By the end of the first day though, we are exhausted so we usually call it a night a little earlier than the rest of the trip. We always do Epcot on arrival day since its the most laid back park and we can take our time to do things and take it all in, have dinner at one of the many restaurants then head back to the resort.
Yea. If we did the early flight then I was planning on doing AK after we check in since we'll be in the same vicinity and AK is a more laid back park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lroger01 View Post
You mentioned you weren't sure if your BF could get off early to fly in the night before. That alone tells me you should stick with the morning flight. Since he's not totally on board for this trip, he may not try too hard to get the time off. And if he can't, you're stuck with trying to change flights.

You don't mention how long your trip is. If it's close to a week then I'd plan your first day for travel. Get a flight that allows your BF to get a decent nights sleep, even if it means arriving after noon. FP+ means you'll still get on a few good rides that first afternoon/evening at the parks.

Since your BF doesn't really want to go, I'd do everything I reasonably can to ensure he has a stress free/exhaustion free trip - so he'll want to come back!

AKL is an awesome resort. If he does want to nap when you first get to the room, you can always spend time exploring the resort or watching the animals from your balcony. The parks will be there when everyone is rested and ready to go.
Well if we did the early flight then we would be there for 7 days/6 nights, one night at AKL and 5 nights at CR. Yea, I'm trying to make this trip fun, exciting, and different so hopefully he can turn into a Disney lover like me! Originally, we were going to be in Orlando from Dec 11-Dec 21, but things came up, and we had to shorten our trip. So I feel like this trip is so short and there's so much that we can do, that we aren't going to get to do it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyinjune View Post
We have done both. My favorite was when we came in the night before, we stayed at the value resort so an extra night was not much of an expense. It was a much more relaxed way to travel. The flight for us is 2.5 hours non stop. The DME is less crowded in the evening and we picked up our luggage and took it on DME with us since we arrived at 11pm. Check in was empty and the room was ready. We went right to our room then went swimming which we had the pool mostly to ourselves. We got up early for the extra magic hour the next day and enjoyed the less crowded hour.(his was before FP+)

You said you were arriving on Dec 10th, Dec 11th is the extra magic morning hour for MK.(something to think about.)

When we do the early travel day we do not go to the parks, we usually just stay at the resort or do a waterpark.
Well there are earlier flights that get us at MCO at around 7pm for $9 more a person, which that is a possibility as well, but like I said before, I don't know if my bf will be able to leave work early if we end up doing the late flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingtoWDWagain View Post
I'm having the same dilemma Although, I'm leaning towards our usual early morning flight. I don't like or enjoy the early rush to the airport, we usually leave by 4:00am to make our 6:30am/7:00am flight. But arriving early gives our family a chance to make sure we're happy with our room, pick up some snacks, beverages at the store, relax by the pool till dinner time or head to a park and have dinner there. We're only debating for this Christmas trip on a morning or evening flight due to the difference in airfare (morning flight is $84.00 more per person). We once took an evening flight arrived at AKL around 11:30pm had booked a pool view room. When we went to our room it was a parking lot view. We went back to the front desk, they apologized for the error but all pool view rooms were taken so we had to wait till the morning to switch rooms, the room the next morning wasn't ready till 2:00pm. Not that this is the norm but because of that experience and now being a family of 5 including two little ones, I'd rather check in once to one room till the end of our stay. Whichever you decide I wish you a magical trip
Thanks ! Yea, that's what I'm scared of as well. I hear some people on the boards that don't receive the room that they booked because their flight landed too late, so they're stuck with whatever is left. I don't want to be put in a crappy room because of a late flight

Our Little Family :
Old 08-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #15
JVP1
Mouseketeer

A few years ago I started booking our trips with us flying out the evening before. We work that day and then fly out afterwards. Get to our hotel by or before midnight go right to sleep and then we have the entire first day well rested and already checked into our room. It does cost more because you are paying for an extra night but we all agree it is worth it.
And then we aren't exhausted that first day because we had to get up at 3am

Quote:

JVP1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: