Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #16
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
I think Hillary Clinton and Natasha Richardson are good examples of how what seemingly is a minor bump on the head may need more medical attention than you think.
Exactly! I also watched a show about head injuries and just to be on the safe side I would take him to the ER, ASAP.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #17
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

Even if you don't take him to the ER please read about dealing with concussions. Head injuries need time to heal.
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #18
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Update:

So, I basically waited through the night, waking him up every hour or so to make him talk to me. This morning I called the pediatrician, who asked me "is he irritable?" Ummm, he's a teenage boy and I keep waking him out of a sound sleep to ask him if his head hurts. Yes, he's irritable."

Anyway, the pediatrician asked us to make an appointment with the concussion center at our local children's hospital, and then if that appointment was more than a day away to go the ER. The concussion center can't see him until Thurs., so we went to the ER where they checked him out and said it was likely a mild concussion and to follow up at the concussion center. They gave him motrin and "NO PE" note, and sent us home.

Then, on the way home, the Steubensville story came on the radio and he asked me to explain it to him. I did, and when we stopped the car he threw up a tiny bit. So, now I don't know whether to rush back to the hospital (because vomiting with a head injury is a bad thing) or thank my lucky stars that I have the kind of kid who agrees me with that that story is horrifying.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #19
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Thanks for the update! Id go back to emergency to be honest. But that's just me! Again, better to be safe than sorry!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #20
redrosesix
DIS Veteran

It depends where the head injury is whether you start vomiting or not. My mother had a serious brain injury and was in a coma for 3 weeks and never threw up. And you know yourself that just having a bad headache can make you feel nauseous, so no wonder consider he was in a moving car at the time.

I would watch for any other symptoms and if you are suspicious head back to the ER. But then again, I've never heard of doctors prescribing ibuprofin for a head injury -- I guess they were sure there wasn't a bleed???

One other thing -- the person that got the head injury often isn't the best one to take advice from. Most people don't remember losing consciousness because they were...ummm...unconscious at the time. Most people, even with serious brain injuries, have no idea how badly they were hurt. You know your son and you know what he's usually like. You've been through enough injuries and sicknesses to know what is mild and what is more serious. Trust your instincts.

Feb. 2008 All Star Music Feb. 2009 All Star Music Feb. 2010 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2011 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2012 Pop Pop Pop and All Star Music Feb. 2013 AoA, ASMusic and off-site with our team Feb. 2014 ASMusic and Cypress Pointe Resort Feb. 2015 Cypress Pointe Resort, US Cabana Bay and All Stars for Twirlmania
redrosesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #21
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrosesix View Post
It depends where the head injury is whether you start vomiting or not. My mother had a serious brain injury and was in a coma for 3 weeks and never threw up. And you know yourself that just having a bad headache can make you feel nauseous, so no wonder consider he was in a moving car at the time.

I would watch for any other symptoms and if you are suspicious head back to the ER. But then again, I've never heard of doctors prescribing ibuprofin for a head injury -- I guess they were sure there wasn't a bleed???

One other thing -- the person that got the head injury often isn't the best one to take advice from. Most people don't remember losing consciousness because they were...ummm...unconscious at the time. Most people, even with serious brain injuries, have no idea how badly they were hurt. You know your son and you know what he's usually like. You've been through enough injuries and sicknesses to know what is mild and what is more serious. Trust your instincts.
I think he'd know if he lost consciousness, because in my experience people at the ski hill come pretty quickly to ask if a kid is OK after he fell. He told me no one, including the friends he was with, got to him before he was back on his feet, which makes me think he sprang up pretty quickly.

My gut feeling is that he's a little foggy, but that could be the headache and the sleep deprivation. I don't think he's got a severe injury. It seems like we'd see more signs than a headache that seems to be getting better and one incident of vomiting almost 24 hours later. I think I'll keep a close eye, and see what the neuro people say on Thurs.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #22
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

I'm glad you took him in. Just watch him closely.

The person does not always know if they lose consciousness. We totaled a Tahoe in a wreck on the way to WDW. I told everyone from the firemen to the paramedics to the doctors that I never lost consciousness. DH is a paramedic and told them the same because I responded to questions, just not well. Apparently, it was fast and since I was obviously in pain, they thought I was awake the entire time. It wasn't until later that the neurosurgeon was assessing me and asked some questions that he realized I really was out. The nausea did not hit for a couple of hours after the accident. There are things I do not remember, people who were driving on the interstate who stopped to help, etc. that I have no recollection of so your son could have been out and not really known it. One thing DH told me to watch for was if a person asks the same things or says the same things repeatedly, they usually have a head injury.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #23
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
Update:

So, I basically waited through the night, waking him up every hour or so to make him talk to me. This morning I called the pediatrician, who asked me "is he irritable?" Ummm, he's a teenage boy and I keep waking him out of a sound sleep to ask him if his head hurts. Yes, he's irritable."

Anyway, the pediatrician asked us to make an appointment with the concussion center at our local children's hospital, and then if that appointment was more than a day away to go the ER. The concussion center can't see him until Thurs., so we went to the ER where they checked him out and said it was likely a mild concussion and to follow up at the concussion center. They gave him motrin and "NO PE" note, and sent us home.

Then, on the way home, the Steubensville story came on the radio and he asked me to explain it to him. I did, and when we stopped the car he threw up a tiny bit. So, now I don't know whether to rush back to the hospital (because vomiting with a head injury is a bad thing) or thank my lucky stars that I have the kind of kid who agrees me with that that story is horrifying.
I know that they told me to watch for vomiting. Maybe you could call the nurse line again and ask them.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #24
whatname
Mouseketeer

Yes, people do not always know they have lost consciousness. My dr. told me he was in a car accident when he 1st came to this country and thought how wonderful the emergency response was here that they came so soon after the accident. He was actually unconscious before they arrived.

Don't mess around with head injuries. We are finding that even "mild" bumps are more serious than people thought in the past and need more intensive treatment than ever thought. Especially those brains that are still developing.

Hope things go well for you and your son.
whatname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #25
chris1gill

But you know I'm thinking (scary enough)

Our daughter had a similar accident 4 years ago, she did hit her head and came back to our condo. We were told initially not to take her in even though she did lose consciousness... she had a concussion along with a neck sprain. Unfortunately she suffered from the neck sprain for several months, it was the end of her season to be sure, she unfortunately needed a lot of PT. Just for the record, we took her to the small local hospital which just let her go with nothing and we then brought her to the trauma center which was much more equipped to deal with her IMHO.... so if you take your son back just know you aren't the only parent that has done so!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #26
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Chris,

When you took him to the bigger hospital and they "did" something, what did they do? He just told me he didn't want dinner because he "didn't feel well". That's after I ordered his favorite caesar salad delivered to entice him to eat. So, I'm worried but I'm not sure what the ER would actually do if we went back in. We have an appointment with the neuro clinic for Thursday.

He's also very bored since they told him no computers, no TV, no video games, no sports and no homework.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #27
leebee
DIS Veteran

Unless your son experiences sudden pain, vomiting, or cannot follow conversation and rambles, there probably isn't much more an ER will do for him, other than to tell you to watch him, and for him to not do anything that'll challenge his thought processes. My DD sustained a moderate concussion on Easter Sunday 2012. It was August before she felt she could think clearly, remember details completely, follow conversation and directions accurately, etc. The doctors told your son not to read or watch TV, no video games, etc., not so HE will "rest," but so that his brain isn't challenged. Brains need rest, and that means significantly limiting sensory input... and yes, that's boring, but necessary; his brain needs to heal. These days scientists/doctors know that concussions are far more than bumps on the head that make us confused, and that they take months to fully resolve.

DD has a friend who had a serious concussion,who spent a week in her room in the dark; they didn't want anything challenging her brain, not even light. Her mom said it was incredibly difficult but they did it, and it really seemed to help her healing. It was almost a year before this girl felt she had her faculties back. Hopefully your son's injury is mild and his brain will heal in a timely fashion.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #28
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Based on some of these accounts, we were really lucky with my daughter's concussion from the kick in the head. She was a little headachey for a day or so, and that was about it. She recuperated really well.

OP, I hope your son is better soon!
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #29
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

OP here,

I kept him home today because he didn't sleep much last night. I'm not clear whether that's because he hadn't done anything all day and wasn't tired or because his head hurt or what, but the Dr. said to tell him to call to come home if he was tired, so I figured sending him exhausted was a bad idea.

He woke up around noon and is much more "himself". He says the side of his head (where the impact was) still feels bruised but there's not throbbing in his head. He also asked for Chipotle for lunch and gobbled it down, as opposed to yesterday when he asked for "just salad" for dinner and ate 3 bites.

Here's my next big question. The follow up clinic is apparently to do neuropsych testing to see if there are lingering cognitive effects. They called back today and said my insurance denied them. Without insurance it's $717 per visit and they couldn't tell me how many visits he'd need.

I can come up with $717, but it's a lot of money for us. If he needs it, of course we'll go, but I'm wondering if I could wait and see if I see anything before taking him. They said they usually schedule a few weeks out, so I assume it's not urgent to go right now? I have a call in to the ped's about what they suggest, but I'd love thoughts from here too.

I'll be honest and say without the Natasha Richardson story I would have given him some Motrin, and sent him to school. So to jump from that to 3 days of no school, the ER, $717 in medical bills, etc . . . seems like a lot. Just not sure.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #30
redrosesix
DIS Veteran

the most important thing is that he was wearing a helmet. Like my mom's neurosurgeon said: "it's amazing -- no helmet, serious brain injury. Helmet, no injury or nothing that causes permanent damage".

Your son will probably be fine, especially based on what you posted last. But if the doctor set up the appointment I don't understand why the insurance is denying it. Can the doctor push it through? Sorry -- we don't have these issues, we live in Canada. It may be totally unnecessary but if our doctor referred us to a clinic, we would go.

Feb. 2008 All Star Music Feb. 2009 All Star Music Feb. 2010 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2011 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2012 Pop Pop Pop and All Star Music Feb. 2013 AoA, ASMusic and off-site with our team Feb. 2014 ASMusic and Cypress Pointe Resort Feb. 2015 Cypress Pointe Resort, US Cabana Bay and All Stars for Twirlmania
redrosesix is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: