Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #766
DVC4US
DVC Member since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
FIXES!!

We need more FIXES!
Robo - I am with you. LEAVE THE FP SYSTEM ALONE!!!!!!

Old 01-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #767
ryalluvdiz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousermerf
So this is what it looks like when a person is under your accoutn and you can "assign" them things:

Currently if you try to assign them anything it wont "stick" and you also can't do so between full-blown accounts either. It just forgets the choice, say for dining, immediately after you do it. Dining Reservations ask for each person but then promptly forgets who you chose other than the primary. On a full blown account this little bar indicating what they have reserved doesn't appear presently either - it's under My Profile - Family and Friends - Edit (whichever account you've added) in the pseudo-accounts.

But as you can see there's the all important "Virtual Ticket." APs, people with reservations, etc.. will have a ticket assigned to them. That will allow the FP+ to be assigned at 60 days or less.
I have mine saved with our dinning reservations for each person saved.... Some people in my group are arriving later so people are on different reservations.... Mine seems to have been "stuck" for a couple of days. Yes mine appear under my family and friends.
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #768
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
When you have a group that big, is it really your responsibility to make sure everyone rides Soarin on a specific day? At that point, can't the other adults in the group create smaller touring groups and be responsible for making their own plans?
Under the "Regular" "Unfair" "Tired" "Old Fashioned" FP system, a "director" of a tour group could take all of the passes of guests that WANTED to ride X attraction and get FP's.
OR- the guests who did want to ride X attraction could line up with the others in the group and get a FP.

AND- that whole group COULD ride "within a given period of time" so that the group could stay "together" at that attraction at (about) the same time.

This new system, with some MAYBE having their own "electronic connection" to the FP+ system on that day they are in the park (or at some earlier date,) may or may not (I'm thinking NOT) be able to get a FP for X attraction at (about) the same time.

It's another complex situation that was not very complicated before.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #769
sweetpea29488
Mouseketeer

I haven't read everything yet so I'm a little confused. Has there been a date set for when this will begin?
Old 01-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #770
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea29488 View Post
I haven't read everything yet so I'm a little confused. Has there been a date set for when this will begin?
No official word on that yet but rumors indicate that it will begin at Boardwalk in mid to late February.

Mousemerf, do you have info on when this will get to any other WDW resort hotels.
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
Old 01-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #771
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
Just to summarize what I think WDW is doing with this whole FP+/MyMagic+ thing.
I put a link on the first page to this. Thanks!
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
Old 01-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #772
DVC4US
DVC Member since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
When you have a group that big, is it really your responsibility to make sure everyone rides Soarin on a specific day? At that point, can't the other adults in the group create smaller touring groups and be responsible for making their own plans?
No it's not my responsibility but most of these people have never been to WDW and I couldn't imagine trying to explain the FP+ system to them. How would the adults in the group creating their own profiles and making their own plans allow us all to book a FP+ for Soarin' at the same time? We would have to coordinate a time to be online so we could all book the same time(if even possible). Nightmare!! With the current FP system we just walk into EPCOT and if a FP for Soarin' is available then we take our tickets, pull a FP and wait for our time to ride.

In the past I have planned multiple trips to WDW and multiple cruises on DCL with 2 or 3 other families. They usually give me their reservation numbers and let me do all the planning. Works great with the current FP system and will probably work with the new FP+, but I don't see this being so easy with the group we have going in June.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #773
DVC4US
DVC Member since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Under the "Regular" "Unfair" "Tired" "Old Fashioned" FP system, a "director" of a tour group could take all of the passes of guests that WANTED to ride X attraction and get FP's.
OR- the guests who did want to ride X attraction could line up with the others in the group and get a FP.

AND- that whole group COULD ride "within a given period of time" so that the group could stay "together" at that attraction at (about) the same time.

This new system, with some MAYBE having their own "electronic connection" to the FP+ system on that day they are in the park (or at some earlier date,) may or may not (I'm thinking NOT) be able to get a FP for X attraction at (about) the same time.

It's another complex situation that was not very complicated before.
What he said!!

Thanks Robo! You always say it so much better!!

BTW - my nickname is "Tour Guide Barbie"!

Old 01-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #774
DeaverTex
Smelling like a horse doesn't make you a cavalryman
I'd wear a pair. I might even be able to get Mrs. Tex to wear some
I need to provide sufficient background in every post to make sense

Others have said this before me, but it really is beginning to sound like New Coke. I miss WDW and I want to go back as soon as possible, but right now I'm glad that I've got a couple of years for this to sort itself out.

I just don't think that 3FP a day (yeah, FP+, but once you have 'em they're the same exact thing) is going to work out for the folks who have even an inkling of what FP are about. I do wonder, though, if the plan might be to run the FP and FP+ systems in parallel for a while, then shift it all to FP+ and increase the daily number? Too much speculation, I suppose.

Deaver Tex Mrs. Tex Tex Jr.

7-10 October 2012 - POR
Nothing else planned right now.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #775
DVC4US
DVC Member since 1998

The reports(rumors) keep saying it will be rolled out at the BWI in Feb or March. Does anyone know if this is only the hotel side or hotel and villas both?

Old 01-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #776
katdralion
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaG View Post
but for those who are unable to get there at rope drop there is not the same opportunity.
I'm not really sure where this idea came from that FP wasn't fair to people who wanted to sleep in! We never found this to be the case.

We never made rope drop (through choice) but felt we had the same opportunity to ride what we wanted as everyone else. We usually didn't arrive at the parks until mid afternooon and there were always plenty of FP available including FP for the headliners. TSM is the only exception.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #777
phineasfan100
Mouseketeer

Again, this whole system gives RD no value at all. The old system worked fine, Disney is just catering to the lazy people who don't get up in time for RD and complain that there are no TSM FPs available.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #778
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

The more I think about this the more I come to the conclusion that...

1) many people will somehow find a way to remain in the dark about it
2) many people will most likely not use it out of a lack of interest
3) many people will most likely find it too complicated. I don't mean they wouldn't always figure it out, just in some cases they wouldn't be overly inclined to do so. People can use discounts and weird ways to save money, but sometimes they don't. I know people who couldnt be bothered to figure the old system out. Human nature and innate laziness. If it ain't simple, some people can't be bothered. I'd include myself here to some extent.
4) many people will most likely not utilise this properly anyway, I.e. booking fast passes for the wrong times of day, wrong rides etc, despite (or because of...) Disney trying to suggest alternatives.
5) many people will still stick to fastpass if they can, especially veteran visitors.
6) many people will not react well when told they can't use both systems, or their chosen reservation was booked up three weeks ago, or their chosen reservation was pointless since the ride was a walk on anyway. Lots of scope for cheesing off customers here tbh.

And finally...

7) I still think Disney has by far overestimated the number of people taking advantage of this new system and its effects. I really do think its flawed on a basic level in expectation and aims. We will have to see what the execution is like.

Worst case scenario, enough people use it to seriously affect times in standby and the number or availability of fastpasses but not enough or without enough impact to please Disney, whilst the support system for this new fastpass can't handle it.

Best case scenario, this fails to attract enough users, Disney quietly cancels plans for the removal of normal fastpasses and keeps plugging away with this new system as an alternative to normal fastpass for those who actually want it. Alternately, they manage to iron out the many many kinks after a few months and things run smoothly for everyone... Lets hope for one of these. I'd prefer the first.

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Old 01-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #779
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

Is there any indication that there will be charge for missed FP+ attractions? If they do institute that, like they did for dining, it will be the end of Disney trips for my family. I travel with a large and highly unpredictable group of people, if they decide to stop and have a few drinks at the ESPN club, then a Soarin' FP+ is not going to convince them to leave, even if there is a surcharge for missed reservations.

We have already stopped dining at signature restaurants because of this, I don't want rides and fireworks to be phased out of our vacations as well!
Old 01-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #780
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
The more I think about this the more I come to the conclusion that...

1) many people will somehow find a way to remain in the dark about it
2) many people will most likely not use it out of a lack of interest
3) many people will most likely find it too complicated. I don't mean they wouldn't always figure it out, just in some cases they wouldn't be overly inclined to do so. People can use discounts and weird ways to save money, but sometimes they don't. I know people who couldnt be bothered to figure the old system out. Human nature and innate laziness. If it ain't simple, some people can't be bothered. I'd include myself here to some extent.
4) many people will most likely not utilise this properly anyway, I.e. booking fast passes for the wrong times of day, wrong rides etc, despite (or because of...) Disney trying to suggest alternatives.
5) many people will still stick to fastpass if they can, especially veteran visitors.
6) many people will not react well when told they can't use both systems, or their chosen reservation was booked up three weeks ago, or their chosen reservation was pointless since the ride was a walk on anyway. Lots of scope for cheesing off customers here tbh.

And finally...

7) I still think Disney has by far overestimated the number of people taking advantage of this new system and its effects. I really do think its flawed on a basic level in expectation and aims. We will have to see what the execution is like.

Worst case scenario, enough people use it to seriously affect times in standby and the number or availability of fastpasses but not enough or without enough impact to please Disney, whilst the support system for this new fastpass can't handle it.

Best case scenario, this fails to attract enough users, Disney quietly cancels plans for the removal of normal fastpasses and keeps plugging away with this new system as an alternative to normal fastpass for those who actually want it. Alternately, they manage to iron out the many many kinks after a few months and things run smoothly for everyone... Lets hope for one of these. I'd prefer the first.
Initially I think most people were interested in the FP and the next generation connection to that. But it is apparent that the bracelet - the magicband is the most important thing. The FP+ is a hook to make people wear the bracelet. Maybe after the rfid system is common practice along with the next gen interactive queues and food reservation systems are established FP can revert back to a ride experience tool.

The only problem with 'hoping' that the system fails because people won't figure it out or bother to figure it out is that millions of people can easily navigate things like netflix or online airline reservations. If they can do that, this app isn't that much more difficult.

Except linking family and friends. Yuck!
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities

Last edited by bcrook; 01-13-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: