Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #601
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
My guess is that those of us who want to ride the headliners more than once, would still need to get there early, get in SB, and the FP+ for later in the day
That will be our strategy to "maximize" the new system. Book the FP+ rides for the afternoon or evening, and then be at the front for rope drop, ride the headliners right away, then come back later for our reserved rides.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #602
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

It's hard for me to figure out which direction Disney wants to go when it comes to queues. It would appear that queue-less queues (such as the new Dumbo) would be the queue of the future. But Disney keeps spending more money on interactive queues (Space, Winnie the Pooh, Haunted Mansion and Big Thunder), it feels as if the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is planning.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #603
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAustin View Post
That will be our strategy to "maximize" the new system. Book the FP+ rides for the afternoon or evening, and then be at the front for rope drop, ride the headliners right away, then come back later for our reserved rides.
So can we assume the late sleepers will also sleep late on FP+ reservation day and be stuck with all the early AM slots?

Cuz my plan is just like yours.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #604
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
So can we assume the late sleepers will also sleep late on FP+ reservation day and be stuck with all the early AM slots?

Cuz my plan is just like yours.
We can hope. I've always had good luck booking ADRs as soon as we can do it. I'm hoping that luck will carry over to FP+.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #605
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
It's hard for me to figure out which direction Disney wants to go when it comes to queues. It would appear that queue-less queues (such as the new Dumbo) would be the queue of the future. But Disney keeps spending more money on interactive queues (Space, Winnie the Pooh, Haunted Mansion and Big Thunder), it feels as if the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is planning.
I think "queueless" queues like Dumbo are impractical to do at every attraction, as it requires equipment and personnel to manage it. Dumbo is one of the most popular attractions at WDW, so it warrants some attention.

I expect that they are expecting people to be waiting in lines more frequently again, which is why the "NextGen" queues were implemented - to keep people occupied on something other than staring at the same spot wondering how much time has passed.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Last edited by doconeill; 01-12-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #606
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I think "queueless" queues like Dumbo are impractical do do at every attraction, as it requires equipment and personnel to manage it. Dumbo is one of the most popular attractions at WDW, so it warrants some attention.

I expect that they are expecting people to be waiting in lines more frequently again, which is why the "NextGen" queues were implemented - to keep people occupied on something other than staring at the same spot wondering how much time has passed.
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Old 01-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #607
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

I posted a few pages back that I had read the Magic Bands would be tied to CC info and wondered about hacking possibilities since they're wirelessly scanned everywhere. I was told that was never the case and CC info wouldn't be tied to them, however, I just saw another article that mentions CC info being tied to them. I know there is very little anyone knows for certain, but I thought I'd share.

http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/travel...ands-1B7874882
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Old 01-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #608
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
I posted a few pages back that I had read the Magic Bands would be tied to CC info and wondered about hacking possibilities since they're wirelessly scanned everywhere. I was told that was never the case and CC info wouldn't be tied to them, however, I just saw another article that mentions CC info being tied to them. I know there is very little anyone knows for certain, but I thought I'd share.
You need to know that the CC info is not "ON" the bands at all.

The bands just link to a Guest File where all of that info is stored.

If a thief were to clone the RFID on the band (or other card or RFID trinket) that RFID would
not contain any of the guests info. Just a number of a file that would only mean something
to the Disney computer system.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #609
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
You need to know that the CC info is not "ON" the bands at all.

ETA: I just saw the rest of your post pop up. Thanks for the info. I get it now!
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Old 01-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #610
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAustin View Post
This is the opposite of what we have been doing. We always used both short lines and fastpasses in the morning, often left for a bit in the afternoon and then just relaxed in the evening. I'll have to rethink that I guess...
Old 01-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #611
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
This is the opposite of what we have been doing. We always used both short lines and fastpasses in the morning, often left for a bit in the afternoon and then just relaxed in the evening. I'll have to rethink that I guess...
My kids have always wanted three rides on TSMM, and I won't wait in a long line. The only way we could get that done was grab a FP and then 2 standby rides immediately. After 3 everyone's arms are tired enough to make us stop.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #612
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I think "queueless" queues like Dumbo are impractical to do at every attraction, as it requires equipment and personnel to manage it. Dumbo is one of the most popular attractions at WDW, so it warrants some attention.

The next Disney innovation after "queueless queues" will be "rideless rides," and I believe the Legend of Jack Sparrow is just a prototype for that...

You'll walk up, tap your bracelet, and be instantly admitted to a large, dark room at the other end of which will be a large sign reading, "This Way to the Egress."
Old 01-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #613
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
The next Disney innovation after "queueless queues" will be "rideless rides," and I believe the Legend of Jack Sparrow is just a prototype for that...

You'll walk up, tap your bracelet, and be instantly admitted to a large, dark room at the other end of which will be a large sign reading, "This Way to the Egress."
Years ago they created the line-ride, it's called the Swiss Family Treehouse.

Also.. once at Sea World on NYE I went into the shark area.. it had a 45min wait to get in.. it's literally just a walk through. Color me baffled.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #614
luvmyguyz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
FPs as they currently are administered will likely go away, but if they are replaced with same day FP+s, I don't have a problem.
Why wouldn't you simply relinquish your AK FP+s and see about getting some same-day FP+s for those Epcot rides? Sure, they may no longer be available, but that's exactly the same situation that you would be in with the old FP system.
I don't think this is necessarily true. As the FP system works now, if you get to any of the parks within the first two hours of it opening, you are almost guaranteed to get a FP for your favorite ride for use sometime before the park closes. (I've never gone to WDW on holiday weeks, so I don't know if this guarantee applies during the super peaktimes, but I have gone during extremely crowded weeks and was able to get Soarin FP after arriving at Epcot after 11 AM and TSMM FP as long as I got there by 10:30.) I say almost, because obviously this doesn't always apply if the ride is down for any length of time.

With FP+, there seems to be the possibility that FP for a super popular ride may be all gone months in advance, and getting one the day of, even if you arrive at RD, may no longer be possible.

My hope is that only a percentage of FP+ will be available in advance, and there will still be an opportunity (although somewhat diminished) to obtan FP for the most popular rides the day of. I am a planner, and will be online the second I am able to to book my FP+ choices, but it just doesn't seem fair for people who plan an impromptu visit to WDW to not be able to get a FP regardless of what time they show up at the park. And there have been plenty of times where we pulled a FP and then something came up and we weren't able to use that time slot, but instead got a different one for the same day. With the new system, this option seems unlikely.

I am also wondering why they decided to limit it to 3 FP+ per day, when it seemed like they were allowing 4 FP+ during the test phase. Hopefully, this is because they are trying to limit the number of pre-scheduld FP+ per day to enable people to get additional FP+ on the day they are at the park.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #615
luvmyguyz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornXBL View Post
I was just going by the Terms mentioning that using FP+ meant you couldn't use standard FP. It implies that standard FP will be around temporarily.

How temporarily, we will have to see.

My next trip will be my first since the change to FP return time enforcement, so I'm already working out how much that impacts us. My youngest sibling is 16 so we did a lot of FP-running back in the day. Usually ended the night with a stash of spare FPs to hand out to random strangers we saw a few hours before the park closed. That was always fun to do.
Our last trip was our 1st with the return time enforcement, and honestly, it wasn't that big of a deal. It required a bit more planning to coordinate FP return times with ADRs and show times, but it worked out pretty well. The thing I think I will miss most is the ability to get FP for everyone in our group and then deciding not to use them for ourselves so the kids could ride their favorites twice in a row. YES, I am aware that this wasn't the way FP was intended to be used, but I still enjoyed being able to do it, and I'll miss it on our next trip. We got the Photopass+ and seeing the photos of my kids riding RnRC and EE three times in a row (and their varying expressions) just makes me smile.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: