Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #571
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMinnieMom View Post
This is great! I think I'm going to have to try to follow your travails as you explore this new system! When is your next WDW trip?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMinnieMom View Post
I LOVE your attitude!!!! Nothing will keep this Disney-tripper down!!!

OK... I'll keep an eye out for your posts... our next big family trip is in October.

DODGE THOSE BULLETS FOR US!!!
Will do.

I also added our August 2012 youtube video to my siggie. It's the closest I'm going to get to a TR for that trip. And even if I had the time, by the time I got it written the tips on how to deal with enforced FP return time will be irrelevant.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #572
kmarie99
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCFanatik View Post
Because that is not how things work. They dont need to release every little detail when making an announcement of this nature. The announcement gives a 10,000 ft overview of the program. Many of the details are probably still be sorted out and data from the testing is being analyzed

If they are reading all this on the Dis, I bet they are getting a good chuckle about some of the more paranoid ramblings and uninformed conjecture that is going on. I understand the nature of this board is for discussion about these matters, but some of it is down right just bashing this because people dont like change even before everything is finalized, they will tell you how it will fail.

I will just laugh after this gets rolled out and 95% of these predictions from the Disney "experts" on here fail to come to fruition.
My thoughts exactly...

Oh, you should never, never doubt what nobody is sure about - Willy Wonka
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #573
mummabear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oswald12 View Post
Forgive me if it's been mentioned, but is there an anticipated list of all attractions that will be eligible for FP+? I can assume those that are already eligible for regular FP, but what about additional rides/show ie Lion King or any other shows?
I saw something a few weeks ago before Disneys announcment it had 2 sections saying you could pick x from 1 list and x from the other but fir the life of me I can't find it again grr!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #574
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boski

I agree that they are probably working out the details on this new system but I seriously hope they aren't chuckling so much reading these comments as maybe saying wow we may have F'd up. By being vague they can make tweaks and pass them along as "oh thats what we always planned" but unless you are on the inside we've got no idea what was originally planned vs. what they roll out. For them its a good move to release this big breaking news but leaving a lot of details out to see peoples reactions and what seems to be well liked and what isn't. That way they don't pull a Netflix and roll out this new system without any input from the end users and then have to do a complete 180.
We left Netflix and never went back over that too... Hope disney doesn't do that!

Old 01-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #575
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boski View Post
I agree that they are probably working out the details on this new system but I seriously hope they aren't chuckling so much reading these comments as maybe saying wow we may have F'd up. By being vague they can make tweaks and pass them along as "oh thats what we always planned" but unless you are on the inside we've got no idea what was originally planned vs. what they roll out. For them its a good move to release this big breaking news but leaving a lot of details out to see peoples reactions and what seems to be well liked and what isn't. That way they don't pull a Netflix and roll out this new system without any input from the end users and then have to do a complete 180.
This confuses me. Netflix change raised prices 60% in one day. And said they knew some customers would be mad but they didn't care. They decided to do this 72 hours before they did it.

Disney isn't raising prices with this change. Plus, they've been testing it out in their actual parks since 2011. And lots of end users have had a chance to try it out and comment. And they are rolling it out slowly one step at a time. I really have no idea how long prior to that they started the idea. But it's been at least 2 years that they've been testing it in the real world, and listening to consumers.

Reed Hastings thought up his idea in the spring of 2011, didn't listen when his fellow executives said to wait, and didn't do any testing of any kind.
"I messed up. I owe everyone an explanation. In hindsight, I slid into arrogance based upon past success."
--Reed Hastings in a blog post to customers

Apples and Oranges.

We Disboarders crack me up. It's like the whole coffee thing. For years and years I've heard the whining about the nasty coffee at WDW. "Why????" people have complained, "Why must Disney have such horrific coffee when amazing coffee exists?" So Disney listened. They heard. They went out and got bids from all the good coffee places. The most famous coffee place in the world gave them a quote they could live with. And Starbucks signed on. And ever since there has been nothing but questions as to why Disney would be such idiots to change our precious Main St bakeries. "WHY???? do they never listen to us? We love our Main St. bakery."

Sorry, this won't be anything like Netflix. It won't ever cause Disney's stock to drop by 80%. It's only a big deal to very few people. It could, however, be like the time McDonald's tried to make us shake our salads. Remember that? They heard us whining that it's hard to eat a salad in the car. So they gave us salad shakers. Sounds like such a good idea. But it really wasn't. If FP+ isn't everything they think it'll be, they'll just use less of it. Or keep FP along side it. Or modify it. McDonald's does still have salads, after all.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #576
MickeyMinnieMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherhead View Post
This confuses me. Netflix change raised prices 60% in one day. And said they knew some customers would be mad but they didn't care. They decided to do this 72 hours before they did it.

Disney isn't raising prices with this change. Plus, they've been testing it out in their actual parks since 2011. And lots of end users have had a chance to try it out and comment. And they are rolling it out slowly one step at a time. I really have no idea how long prior to that they started the idea. But it's been at least 2 years that they've been testing it in the real world, and listening to consumers.

Reed Hastings thought up his idea in the spring of 2011, didn't listen when his fellow executives said to wait, and didn't do any testing of any kind.
"I messed up. I owe everyone an explanation. In hindsight, I slid into arrogance based upon past success."

Apples and Oranges.

We Disboarders crack me up. It's like the whole coffee thing. For years and years I've heard the whining about the nasty coffee at WDW. "Why????" people have complained, "Why must Disney have such horrific coffee when amazing coffee exists?" So Disney listened. They heard. They went out and got bids from all the good coffee places. The most famous coffee place in the world gave them a quote they could live with. And Starbucks signed on. And ever since there has been nothing but questions as to why Disney would be such idiots to change our precious Main St bakeries. "WHY???? do they never listen to us? We love our Main St. bakery."

Sorry, this won't be anything like Netflix. It won't ever cause Disney's stock to drop by 80%. It's only a big deal to very few people. It could, however, be like the time McDonald's tried to make us shake our salads. Remember that? They heard us whining that it's hard to eat a salad in the car. So they gave us salad shakers. Sounds like such a good idea. But it really wasn't. If FP+ isn't everything they think it'll be, they'll just use less of it. Or keep FP along side it. Or modify it. McDonald's does still have salads, after all.
And the coffee analogy is a terrific one.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #577
Boski
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Apples and Oranges.

I think you maybe taking the analogy to literal? I said Disney might be doing this so they don't pull a Netflix. Not "they are pulling a Netflix"
2012(August): Beach Club
2013(Sept): Beach Club
Old 01-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #578
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boski View Post
I think you maybe taking the analogy to literal? I said Disney might be doing this so they don't pull a Netflix. Not "they are pulling a Netflix"
Yes you did. My mistake.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #579
Melodious
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherhead

Apples and Oranges.

Still a great post
Old 01-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #580
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:

Apples and Oranges.

See I dont drink coffee but I think Disney only half listened. Yes people want different coffee, they just wanted it to be put somewhere else, or not mess with the bakery, but serve the coffee. Have what we love about the old mixed with the new.

Kind of like FP+ for me at least, I want the be able to schedule some things ahead of time, but I still want to repull a FP for my favorite ride later too. Or the old way I could ride TSMM and RNR, will I be able to do that with the new way, if not than we are not going to be happy campers. So I wanted the FP+ but I wanted it to enhance what I liked about the old way, so far I am not sure that is happening, it feels like a complete change. But maybe I am wrong
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Old 01-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #581
Melodious
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop

See I dont drink coffee but I think Disney only half listened. Yes people want different coffee, they just wanted it to be put somewhere else, or not mess with the bakery, but serve the coffee. Have what we love about the old mixed with the new.

Kind of like FP+ for me at least, I want the be able to schedule some things ahead of time, but I still want to repull a FP for my favorite ride later too. Or the old way I could ride TSMM and RNR, will I be able to do that with the new way, if not than we are not going to be happy campers. So I wanted the FP+ but I wanted it to enhance what I liked about the old way, so far I am not sure that is happening, it feels like a complete change. But maybe I am wrong
I think you have the crux of it, it's different. Period. There's no getting around that. Change can be exciting, I personally can't wait for MSB to be part Starbucks, partly because I'm not a coffee drinker. Change can be frightening and that's why people have lost their heads
Old 01-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #582
inkedupmomma
If you live to be a 100, I hope to live to be 100 minus 1 day. So I never have to live without you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
As far as we know right now, no, FP+ will not be in use by that time.

But stay tuned...Disney could announce a date anytime.
I usually back Disney decisions pretty hardcore, but I am NOT feeling this new FP system :/
Old 01-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #583
rendy7
Earning My Ears

Longtime lurker here. I visited WDW a lot when I was a kid and we lived near by but skipped about thirty years or so before I started going back 3 years ago. Thanks to this board my wife and I had a great time both visits. Long way of saying I have no clue what I'm talking about here.

I can't really believe that Disney intends to screw up 50+ years of queue evolution by deliberately making standby lines longer and more painful. They have spent a lot of money on this entire project and they are touting it as a revolution in what it means to visit a theme park.

Fastpass introduced the virtual queue. I would guess that FP+ builds on that and wonder if just maybe this a first step to making all lines virtual. There is no reason that I've read so far that that one couldn't just walk up to ride entrance and scan the card or bracelet and receive a ride time to come back. A FP+ just gets waved on into the queue of course. The ride time is added to the itinerary and you go do something else.

There would need to be a certain amount of line of course just to ensure ride efficiency, but that would be solved by having a return window. The return window would have to be much smaller than current FP windows. Lets say for example a fifteen minute window with 5 minutes before and 10 minutes after for a total return window of thirty minutes. That would probably make the queue a relatively stable thirty minutes or less in length. If the time one received was less than thirty minutes away one would get right into the queue.

People missing the window would move others up in the queue meaning one would need to check often for updates to the ride time if it was several hours away like I am sure TSMM would be. It would also mean more people clogging the walkways since they wouldn't be in line.

If I'm being stupid feel free to say so. I've just been pondering this whole thing in my head and this is the only thing I can see that makes sense. I've read a lot about this here and on other forums and blogs and whatnot and like most I'm just not seeing a lot of benefit to the avg guest unless there is some sort of endgame that we just aren't seeing yet.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #584
linzbear
Flirts with Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendy7 View Post
Longtime lurker here. I visited WDW a lot when I was a kid and we lived near by but skipped about thirty years or so before I started going back 3 years ago. Thanks to this board my wife and I had a great time both visits. Long way of saying I have no clue what I'm talking about here.

I can't really believe that Disney intends to screw up 50+ years of queue evolution by deliberately making standby lines longer and more painful. They have spent a lot of money on this entire project and they are touting it as a revolution in what it means to visit a theme park.

Fastpass introduced the virtual queue. I would guess that FP+ builds on that and wonder if just maybe this a first step to making all lines virtual. There is no reason that I've read so far that that one couldn't just walk up to ride entrance and scan the card or bracelet and receive a ride time to come back. A FP+ just gets waved on into the queue of course. The ride time is added to the itinerary and you go do something else.

There would need to be a certain amount of line of course just to ensure ride efficiency, but that would be solved by having a return window. The return window would have to be much smaller than current FP windows. Lets say for example a fifteen minute window with 5 minutes before and 10 minutes after for a total return window of thirty minutes. That would probably make the queue a relatively stable thirty minutes or less in length. If the time one received was less than thirty minutes away one would get right into the queue.

People missing the window would move others up in the queue meaning one would need to check often for updates to the ride time if it was several hours away like I am sure TSMM would be. It would also mean more people clogging the walkways since they wouldn't be in line.

If I'm being stupid feel free to say so. I've just been pondering this whole thing in my head and this is the only thing I can see that makes sense. I've read a lot about this here and on other forums and blogs and whatnot and like most I'm just not seeing a lot of benefit to the avg guest unless there is some sort of endgame that we just aren't seeing yet.

Fun fact: This was in testing at RnRC a couple of years ago, and is currently in practice (in a slightly different form) in dueling Dumbos.

I call it the Deli Counter Queue. Take a ticket, wait around until your number is called
04/92 - CBR | 03/94 - Offsite | 03/03 - VWL | 05/05 - BWV | 05/06 - DLR | 12/06 - VWL | 04/07 - BCV | 10/07 - OKW/AKV | 12/07 - VWL | 09/08 - OKW | 10/09 - AKV | 11/10 - AKV/VWL | 10/11 - BLT/Swan | 5/13 - VWL
Planned:
11/14 - AKV
Old 01-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #585
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Folks this is a reminder to stay on topic.
We are giving the thread a bit of latitude but perhaps it has run its course.
As long as it does not go it will remain open on this board.

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board

Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: