Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #556
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

We are buying military tickets at SOG when we get there - we won't have ticket numbers. I wonder if we'll be able to use our resort number to schedule or just be out of luck? As it is, the system doesn't recognize our phone number so I can't even link anything anyway.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #557
shelbyf31
Mouseketeer

It is making my head hurt
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #558
gwmort
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
Frankly, if WDW tries to re-route others out of my crowded park by sending enticing "whatevers", I would be happy that I stayed if the crowds really did thin out...
I hadn't thought of them rerouting people clean out of the park but that is a great idea. They'll be able to see people with park hoppers in crowded parks and offer them spontaneous fp+ in less crowded parks to entice them to hop over there.

Something along the line of an SMS blast "Would you be interested in an additional fp+ for X attraction in Y park?", clue enough people to check the apps for wait times and entice them to switch to the other park.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #559
UNCFanatik
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
My real disappointment right now is that Disney hasn't disclosed everything. I hate this parceling out information nonsense. You make an announcement about this grand initiative but give us no details on how it works. For heaven's sake just tell us what's going on! I can't believe that the execs are sitting there reading all the blowback (and I'm sure they know about the DIS and other sites) and thinking it's okay.
Because that is not how things work. They dont need to release every little detail when making an announcement of this nature. The announcement gives a 10,000 ft overview of the program. Many of the details are probably still be sorted out and data from the testing is being analyzed

If they are reading all this on the Dis, I bet they are getting a good chuckle about some of the more paranoid ramblings and uninformed conjecture that is going on. I understand the nature of this board is for discussion about these matters, but some of it is down right just bashing this because people dont like change even before everything is finalized, they will tell you how it will fail.

I will just laugh after this gets rolled out and 95% of these predictions from the Disney "experts" on here fail to come to fruition.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #560
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
I hadn't thought of them rerouting people clean out of the park but that is a great idea. They'll be able to see people with park hoppers in crowded parks and offer them spontaneous fp+ in less crowded parks to entice them to hop over there.

Something along the line of an SMS blast "Would you be interested in an additional fp+ for X attraction in Y park?", clue enough people to check the apps for wait times and entice them to switch to the other park.
But the flip side is that it makes finding an uncrowded park VERY difficult. I used to always rely on going to the MK on party days in the fall/winter. If I opt into that for my day, then all of a sudden they entice folks over with extra FP's...... it's no longer worth being there on a day with no night entertainment. All of a sudden, instead of benefiting from the research and thought I put into it, I'm just a pawn, along for the ride. So to speak.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #561
ThornXBL
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
This might be possible.

Imagine that you are staying on-site, but not buying tickets through Disney. You have paper tickets from UT, AAA, your non-expiring ticket stash, wherever. You'll be issued a magic band when you check in at your resort, but don't link your paper tickets to your online profile. Those paper tickets would still work in the old-school FP machines and you would receive other band-related MyMagic+ services.
This is what I plan to try in September, if it's still possible.
Disneyland: 9/2012

"Looks like Brer Fox and Brer Bear are causin' some kinda commotion downstream..."
Old 01-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #562
Boski
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCFanatik View Post
Because that is not how things work. They dont need to release every little detail when making an announcement of this nature. The announcement gives a 10,000 ft overview of the program. Many of the details are probably still be sorted out and data from the testing is being analyzed

If they are reading all this on the Dis, I bet they are getting a good chuckle about some of the more paranoid ramblings and uninformed conjecture that is going on. I understand the nature of this board is for discussion about these matters, but some of it is down right just bashing this because people dont like change even before everything is finalized, they will tell you how it will fail.

I will just laugh after this gets rolled out and 95% of these predictions from the Disney "experts" on here fail to come to fruition.
I agree that they are probably working out the details on this new system but I seriously hope they aren't chuckling so much reading these comments as maybe saying wow we may have F'd up. By being vague they can make tweaks and pass them along as "oh thats what we always planned" but unless you are on the inside we've got no idea what was originally planned vs. what they roll out. For them its a good move to release this big breaking news but leaving a lot of details out to see peoples reactions and what seems to be well liked and what isn't. That way they don't pull a Netflix and roll out this new system without any input from the end users and then have to do a complete 180.
2012(August): Beach Club
2013(Sept): Beach Club
Old 01-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #563
oswald12
Earning My Ears

Forgive me if it's been mentioned, but is there an anticipated list of all attractions that will be eligible for FP+? I can assume those that are already eligible for regular FP, but what about additional rides/show ie Lion King or any other shows?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #564
UNCFanatik
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boski View Post
I agree that they are probably working out the details on this new system but I seriously hope they aren't chuckling so much reading these comments as maybe saying wow we may have F'd up. By being vague they can make tweaks and pass them along as "oh thats what we always planned" but unless you are on the inside we've got no idea what was originally planned vs. what they roll out. For them its a good move to release this big breaking news but leaving a lot of details out to see peoples reactions and what seems to be well liked and what isn't. That way they don't pull a Netflix and roll out this new system without any input from the end users and then have to do a complete 180.
Yes, I agree. It is wise to see what their customer base is saying about any proposed changes. And there have been some VERY valid concerns and points brought up here about the limited information that has been released so far about the FP+ program. But also, there have been some unfounded paranoid ramblings from people that just dont like change. Those are the comments I would think the Disney Execs would get a good laugh out of.

Bottom line, with any change of this magnitude, they can never make everyone happy. Some concerns will be heard and addresses and others will not be feasible.

I am just looking forward to the day I can compare these predictions to what actually happens.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #565
MickeyMinnieMom
If you ticket it, they will come... ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherhead View Post
Always glad to help.

I've always been excellent at tests. And I'm a tester of limits. So if there are ways to win and advantages I will poke around till I find them. And I have no guilt as anyone could do it if they are brave enough to poke around. I am indeed one of the people who have alarms go off in museums because I lean too close to paintings. I don't TOUCH them as that would be against the rules. I just get super close. And I check door knobs too to see if they are locked. But that was Walt, right? “When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do.” I guarantee you he tested door knobs when he walked past in public buildings.

But I also know when I'm found out and I raise my hand when the alarms go off. Curiosity does, indeed, kill cats. That's why God gave them 9 lives. So down the rabbit's hole for me!
This is great! I think I'm going to have to try to follow your travails as you explore this new system! When is your next WDW trip?!?

Old 01-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #566
MickeyMinnieMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
And people who don't carry a phone in the park (yeah, I hear there are some who roll that way) well they'll get nothing at all.
It's all about choices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodious View Post
I don't think having a dynamic system is a fix, I think it's the point. I think the Dis is so caught up in FP that we're not thinking about the larger system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCFanatik View Post

This always happens. The most recent (that I can remember) was how enforcing the FP return time was going to spell the end of magical Disney vacations. Somehow, we still enjoyed our last trip. Rose above it, I guess...

Old 01-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #567
Superspectral
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMinnieMom View Post
It's all about choices...

This always happens. The most recent (that I can remember) was how enforcing the FP return time was going to spell the end of magical Disney vacations. Somehow, we still enjoyed our last trip. Rose above it, I guess...
I think people are trying to picture just exactly how taking a trip to WDW with FP+ and MagicBands is going to work for them. You can make a pretty informed guess of what changes when they enforce FP return times. But there just aren't enough details to figure out FP+ and MagicBands from afar. Disney has released a lot of aspirational and vague information; along with some details - and if you try to figure it out, you run into a "yeah but what then?" question pretty quick. Not the least of which is that the concept may work out all well in good when a few thousand testers try pieces of it. But when 50,000 are all using it simultaneously?

FP did alter the strategy to experience the parks with the least hassle. There are tradeoffs. If you are knowledgable about the system IMHO in general the perception is that a few reduced waits in popular FP attractions are worth the extra standby waiting if you want to do that attraction twice. The worst tradeoff with FP is that for the super popular attractions you have to arrive when the park opens to get your FP walk in the rope drop herd. So OK there is now FP+. At first glance, yay! no more rope drop herd for certain FP. But if the tradeoff is you have to commit to being in DHS 60 days early to get a Midway Mania FP? Well that may be a little steep.

Disney is rolling out a lot of this all at once IMHO. Many elements of the FP+ system (like reserving FP 60 days ahead) could have been implemented resort wide using the old KTTW system in baby steps. There is a lot of risk.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #568
MickeyMinnieMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superspectral View Post
I think people are trying to picture just exactly how taking a trip to WDW with FP+ and MagicBands is going to work for them. You can make a pretty informed guess of what changes when they enforce FP return times. But there just aren't enough details to figure out FP+ and MagicBands from afar. Disney has released a lot of aspirational and vague information; along with some details - and if you try to figure it out, you run into a "yeah but what then?" question pretty quick. Not the least of which is that the concept may work out all well in good when a few thousand testers try pieces of it. But when 50,000 are all using it simultaneously?

FP did alter the strategy to experience the parks with the least hassle. There are tradeoffs. If you are knowledgable about the system IMHO in general the perception is that a few reduced waits in popular FP attractions are worth the extra standby waiting if you want to do that attraction twice. The worst tradeoff with FP is that for the super popular attractions you have to arrive when the park opens to get your FP walk in the rope drop herd. So OK there is now FP+. At first glance, yay! no more rope drop herd for certain FP. But if the tradeoff is you have to commit to being in DHS 60 days early to get a Midway Mania FP? Well that may be a little steep.

Disney is rolling out a lot of this all at once IMHO. Many elements of the FP+ system (like reserving FP 60 days ahead) could have been implemented resort wide using the old KTTW system in baby steps. There is a lot of risk.
Agreed -- I'm trying to figure it out, too. I'm just not taking the doomsday approach popularized on the DIS!

It is a lot to be rolling out. But consider that they've been testing for quite some time. They make vague, aspirational statements -- yes -- this is just the "wide announcement" -- they want to gain excitement in the general public about it -- it's just marketing. People here are bound to lose it -- at least initially -- no matter what the change -- I'd suspect they know that. They plan to roll out through Spring, and I'd suspect many of the fun little MagicBand extras that they've conceived of won't roll out right away.

I guess that while they hit bumps in the road (uh, MDE website rollout, anyone?!?), Disney generally rights their ships relatively effectively. For me, Disney has earned the confidence I have in it as a company. So I take the "jury's still out" approach, rather than "they're killing my WDW vacation!!!" approach.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #569
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMinnieMom View Post
This is great! I think I'm going to have to try to follow your travails as you explore this new system! When is your next WDW trip?!?
August! And I will be TR'ing, of course. I figure I'll wait till May of this year and start my pre-trippie. Hopefully by then the March and April tourists will have taken a few bullets for the rest of us and we can start making real plans.
But I will be sharing all of our tips that we come up with with the new plan. My sister, Suzy, and I can pretty much make anything work for us. We refuse to be foiled by any nefarious plans.

Suzy: Uh-oh.
Perla: Don't tell me. We're about to only get 3 FP+ per day.
Suzy: Yep.
Perla: And all at one park, only 2 headliners?
Suzy: Most likely.
Perla: Bring it on.

We shall have a New Groove.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #570
MickeyMinnieMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherhead View Post
August! And I will be TR'ing, of course. I figure I'll wait till May of this year and start my pre-trippie. Hopefully by then the March and April tourists will have taken a few bullets for the rest of us and we can start making real plans.
But I will be sharing all of our tips that we come up with with the new plan. My sister, Suzy, and I can pretty much make anything work for us. We refuse to be foiled by any nefarious plans.

Suzy: Uh-oh.
Perla: Don't tell me. We're about to only get 3 FP+ per day.
Suzy: Yep.
Perla: And all at one park, only 2 headliners?
Suzy: Most likely.
Perla: Bring it on.

We shall have a New Groove.
I LOVE your attitude!!!! Nothing will keep this Disney-tripper down!!!

OK... I'll keep an eye out for your posts... our next big family trip is in October.

DODGE THOSE BULLETS FOR US!!!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: