Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #436
Cinderumbrella
Wench

As a repeat customer, I am MUCH less likely to buy stuff. Why? Because I bought everything I wanted on my first trip! (And that was before FP+ magically freed up time for me...)

Maybe if the same stuff wasn't available in virtually every store, I would be more apt to wander through gift shops again...
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #437
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
As a repeat customer, I am MUCH less likely to buy stuff. Why? Because I bought everything I wanted on my first trip! (And that was before FP+ magically freed up time for me...)

Maybe if the same stuff wasn't available in virtually every store, I would be more apt to wander through gift shops again...
Exaclty why they don't want those first-timers standing all day in line. The more time they have in shops the more they will buy.

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #438
jagruti6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAWL View Post
I've seen a number thrown out there (I think it may have been earlier on this thread, not sure) that 60% of WDW guests are first-time visitors. I've seen 70% thrown out there on an older thread. Anyone think this way off?

I'm going to guess that the vast majority of those guests used FP very little compared to you. So those guests were waiting in line much longer than you... and potentialy spending much less time in shops, in restaurants, at snack vendor carts. With FP+, many of those guests will find more time for these other things. Those are the people who may wind up spending more.

This whole thing is for those people. Not the 422,052 members of the Disboards. This is to get the "masses" out of line just a little bit so they have more time to spend money.

And I'm not sure if it can encourage people to stay in a Disney Resort, but it CAN encourage them to stay in the park once they are there.

Before: "The lines are getting so long here - lets go try Universal this afternoon."

After: "The lines are getting so long here - but hey, we've got that fastpass thingy for Space Mountain at 3pm. Let's go get some ice cream and check out the gift shop while we wait."
Here is what doesn't make sense to me. If the majority of people stuck in lines are first timers who do not utilize FP enough, what makes Disney think it will change with this new system?
What suddenly makes them more likely to go online and make advanced Fast passes? Are they likely to take the time to download the app or visit the FP kiosk?
Every single time we have visited we have found ourselves explaining the system to other guests, that had no idea they could use fast passes at all. There is just so much information to take in.

me DH DS9 DD5
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #439
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Exaclty why they don't want those first-timers standing all day in line. The more time they have in shops the more they will buy.
But my point was that I DID already buy what I wanted to without being pushed into stores by scheduling my FP's. Shoppers will shop if they want (and non-shoppers won't no matter how much free time you give).
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~

Old 01-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #440
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagruti6 View Post
Here is what doesn't make sense to me. If the majority of people stuck in lines are first timers who do not utilize FP enough, what makes Disney think it will change with this new system?
What suddenly makes them more likely to go online and make advanced Fast passes? Are they likely to take the time to download the app or visit the FP kiosk?
Every single time we have visited we have found ourselves explaining the system to other guests, that had no idea they could use fast passes at all. There is just so much information to take in.
I think all those people who go to the DisneyWorld website to book their trip, or even just their tickets, are going to be prompted to create a profile for this super new way to add magic to their trip. If they don't know what to do, the website will schedule FP+ for them. Now they don't have to go looking for a fastpass kiosk and figure out how to use it. They just show up with their wristband and walk past the long line. How cool is that?!? Disney just made FP that much easier for them.

Quote:
But my point was that I DID already buy what I wanted to without being pushed into stores by scheduling my FP's. Shoppers will shop if they want (and non-shoppers won't no matter how much free time you give).
Ok, you did. But do you not think that out of 17,000,000 visitors to the MK each year, that Disney might be able to sell quite a bit more if 60% of them are given just 30 more minutes to shop each day? I do.

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Old 01-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #441
Kaylasmomma
Mouseketeer

I am so lost trying to keep up with all the info on this FP+
we havent been to Disney World since 2008 so i am sure a lot has changed since then... but we didnt really do fast passes even then. We went in April (spring break) and had NO problems waiting in line for things..in fact i think our longest wait was only something like 40mins.. has Disney become so crowded
since "08 that this FP is needed??

I mean our trip this time is a whole other animal our family of 3 is now traveling with my sisters family of 6. The kids ages are 1,2,5,7,8 so most are too young to ride any of the "big" things (the 8YO is 53" so she prob is but is scared of big rides).....

is this FP+ something i should really worry about, look into and keep my eye on for our trip (march 1st)?????
Old 01-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #442
Kaylasmomma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I think all those people who go to the DisneyWorld website to book their trip, or even just their tickets, are going to be prompted to create a profile for this super new way to add magic to their trip. If they don't know what to do, the website will schedule FP+ for them. Now they don't have to go looking for a fastpass kiosk and figure out how to use it. They just show up with their wristband and walk past the long line. How cool is that?!? Disney just made FP that much easier for them.

So i did actually make a profile and link our reservation numbers and each day there are "times" for things ...
i thought those were suggestions. Are you saying it might be we have "FP+" already for those.. I need to log back in and look closer......
Old 01-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #443
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylasmomma View Post
So i did actually make a profile and link our reservation numbers and each day there are "times" for things ...
i thought those were suggestions. Are you saying it might be we have "FP+" already for those.. I need to log back in and look closer......
No, I don't think the system is just going to give you FP+ if you don't do anything.

There WILL be an option for people who don't want to choose, but want the system to pick for them based on their preferences...a "quick pick" of sorts.

And you STILL won't find anything FP+ associated with your reservations. This is NOT LIVE yet.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #444
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylasmomma
I am so lost trying to keep up with all the info on this FP+
we havent been to Disney World since 2008 so i am sure a lot has changed since then... but we didnt really do fast passes even then. We went in April (spring break) and had NO problems waiting in line for things..in fact i think our longest wait was only something like 40mins.. has Disney become so crowded
since "08 that this FP is needed??

I mean our trip this time is a whole other animal our family of 3 is now traveling with my sisters family of 6. The kids ages are 1,2,5,7,8 so most are too young to ride any of the "big" things (the 8YO is 53" so she prob is but is scared of big rides).....

is this FP+ something i should really worry about, look into and keep my eye on for our trip (march 1st)?????
It is busier than 2008. But not insanely so. Many people here compare Disney now to the short few years after the WTC crashed on 9/11 and people stopped travelling. thats when free dining came on board. WDW was dead. The changed their model and started discounting things and advertising like crazy. They not only got their customers back, they attracted new customers. But it really isn't that much different crowd wise from 2008. The quiet times are just not as quiet. You shouldn't worry. We went in August this year. And we are a party of 11 with kids from 4-15. We used FP for the bigs rides and many things were under a 10 minute wait. It's just like always. If you get to DHS at rope drop and immediately go ride TSM you will be fine.

On here we are Disney experts. Most often we know more than 95% of Disney employees. And we obsess.

You will have a fantastic time. If FP+ is available then (I assume it will be) you can read the instructions on the map and make use of it. If not, you can still use regular FP. Or not use any at all. You will have so much fun being there with kids and any of those three choices will be totally fine.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #445
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:

Ok, you did. But do you not think that out of 17,000,000 visitors to the MK each year, that Disney might be able to sell quite a bit more if 60% of them are given just 30 more minutes to shop each day? I do.
Perhaps, but it still leads me to the last part of my statement:

Shoppers are going to shop and non-shoppers won't (no matter how much time you give them).

Believe, me I am not naive enough to think that the sole reason they are doing this is to for people just to shop more. I am sure it added into the equation. But I would hate for them to be naive enough to think that everyone automatically will shop more/spend more just because they have more time.

For us, we will take the extra time and simply head back to the resort and spend time at the pool (and thus spend nothing additional) since I will not spend my afternoons in 60 minute + standby lines once my 3 FP's are gone.

Limit it as much as it is feared it will be someday, and we will take all our "extra" time as well as our vacation $$$ to a completely different destination.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV

Old 01-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #446
Kaylasmomma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherhead View Post
It is busier than 2008. But not insanely so. Many people here compare Disney now to the short few years after the WTC crashed on 9/11 and people stopped travelling. thats when free dining came on board. WDW was dead. The changed their model and started discounting things and advertising like crazy. They not only got their customers back, they attracted new customers. But it really isn't that much different crowd wise from 2008. The quiet times are just not as quiet. You shouldn't worry. We went in August this year. And we are a party of 11 with kids from 4-15. We used FP for the bigs rides and many things were under a 10 minute wait. It's just like always. If you get to DHS at rope drop and immediately go ride TSM you will be fine.

On here we are Disney experts. Most often we know more than 95% of Disney employees. And we obsess.

You will have a fantastic time. If FP+ is available then (I assume it will be) you can read the instructions on the map and make use of it. If not, you can still use regular FP. Or not use any at all. You will have so much fun being there with kids and any of those three choices will be totally fine.

Thanks I am sure we will still have fun
There will really only be a "handful" of big rides we do anyway.. i think
The only one I am concerned about right now is the Safari at AK b/c we have ADR at tusker house the day we visit there so that will put us into the park after people have arrived..in this case FP+ would be awesome.
If it hasnt rolled out yet could we still go to a kiosk at AK when we arrive and get regular FP for that .. for after we dine????

and what is TSM at the studios.. ???
Old 01-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #447
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Perhaps, but it still leads me to the last part of my statement:

Shoppers are going to shop and non-shoppers won't (no matter how much time you give them).

Believe, me I am not naive enough to think that the sole reason they are doing this is to for people just to shop more. I am sure it added into the equation. But I would hate for them to be naive enough to think that everyone automatically will shop more/spend more just because they have more time.

For us, we will take the extra time and simply head back to the resort and spend time at the pool (and thus spend nothing additional) since I will not spend my afternoons in 60 minute + standby lines once my 3 FP's are gone.

Limit it as much as it is feared it will be someday, and we will take all our "extra" time as well as our vacation $$$ to a completely different destination.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV
Same here, 20 minutes is the maximum I would ever wait for a ride. If the new system causes me to have to wait longer than that to do the rides I want, then I'll leave the park.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #448
hvanes
Mouseketeer

I have 5 kids. 5 kids who love attractions... NOT shopping. I have to believe that Disney knows their guests, and a lot of their guests are kids. Surely they're smart enough to realize that kids don't want to go to an amazing theme park to shop... especially 13-year-old boys, and 1-year-old boys (both of which I have).

We're going at the end of May, and this trip will be a litmus test. If FP+ facilitates our enjoyment of all our favorite attractions, Disney will continue to get our money through resort fees, food, and tickets. If not, we'll have to find somewhere else to vacation. And I'm not saying that with a threatening tone - what we spend on our trips is a microscopic drop in the bucket for Disney - it's just the sad reality for our family.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #449
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Yes. I've walked over to safari many a time from Tusker House. I just pop out once we've met all the characters and grab our fps. They are very close. Then you all pay, finish your coffee, pack up, use the potty, etc and it'll be time to ride. Or u can grab fp right after breakfast and do the animal trail that is right there while you wait.

And like you said, fp+ would be even better for you.

Toy Story Mania is TSM. It the hardest ride to skip lines for in all of wdw. If you don't get there 15 min before rope drop or have a fp or fp+ you are looking at 70 minutes even in slow time periods. And it's fun for all ages so everyone wants to do it.

I thought of an analogy for why we are all panicking but you shouldn't.

It's like we Disboarders have been given the answer to the test for years. And now the teacher has stopped doing that. Everyone will know the secret to our good grades. So we don't like it.

When we went to Disneyland this year I read an read on here and micechat all the tips. But when I got there I realized EVERYONE knew the tips. So all my studying had done had brought me up to par with the other guests. I didn't have a cheat sheet. I think that is the goal here.

So don't worry at all. You know more than most and they are making it less important to know a lot. So in all ways you will be better off than in 2008.

My family, on the other hand, collected 106 fast passes one day 3 years ago, then napped and came back and used them all late from 8-10 pm and then stayed for evening emh. We did all of mk that day. Many things 3-4 times. It was fantastic.

Enforced fp return times already changed that in August. It was a hard adjustment.

But really, there was no need for us to have the best time on earth with no waits for any rides while everyone else waited forever. But who doesn't love being teachers pet?
Old 01-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #450
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvanes View Post
I have 5 kids. 5 kids who love attractions... NOT shopping. I have to believe that Disney knows their guests, and a lot of their guests are kids. Surely they're smart enough to realize that kids don't want to go to an amazing theme park to shop... especially 13-year-old boys, and 1-year-old boys (both of which I have).

We're going at the end of May, and this trip will be a litmus test. If FP+ facilitates our enjoyment of all our favorite attractions, Disney will continue to get our money through resort fees, food, and tickets. If not, we'll have to find somewhere else to vacation. And I'm not saying that with a threatening tone - what we spend on our trips is a microscopic drop in the bucket for Disney - it's just the sad reality for our family.
That is why they put shops at the end of many attractions, because they know some people won't go to DTD or MouseGears or the Emporium. So they bring the shopping to you.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: