Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #331
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
That depends on what you believe the goal of MyMagic+ is.
If you want to talk about what you think the goal of Disney's program is, that's cool.

But, why did you specifically quote me about the accuracy of my saying that the most popular attractions are currently "maxed-out" in their vehicle numbers and loading speed?
Old 01-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #332
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
You are likely misunderstanding my meaning.
I guess that 'maxed out' could have some other meaning. I took it to mean that 'the ride couldn't support any more riders than currently ride it'.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #333
ThornXBL
Earning My Ears

Quote:
That's the thing. We don't even know if the current FP machines will exist. The official stuff that has been posted says something to the effect of 'people can opt out of using FP+'. To my knowledge, it doesn't say that they will be able to still use old-school FP.
I was just going by the Terms mentioning that using FP+ meant you couldn't use standard FP. It implies that standard FP will be around temporarily.

How temporarily, we will have to see.

My next trip will be my first since the change to FP return time enforcement, so I'm already working out how much that impacts us. My youngest sibling is 16 so we did a lot of FP-running back in the day. Usually ended the night with a stash of spare FPs to hand out to random strangers we saw a few hours before the park closed. That was always fun to do.
Disneyland: 9/2012

"Looks like Brer Fox and Brer Bear are causin' some kinda commotion downstream..."
Old 01-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #334
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio
I can't pull up a FP+ button in the app. The terms of service that some have mentioned, however, is available. Click 'more', 'privacy & legal', 'Disney Park Experience Terms and Conditions'.
Found it!!!! Finally.... thank you guys soo much..

Old 01-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #335
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Quote:
I guess that 'maxed out' could have some other meaning. I took it to mean that 'the ride couldn't support any more riders than currently ride it'.
You are correct.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #336
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If you want to talk about what you think the goal of Disney's program is, that's cool.

But, why did you specifically quote me about the accuracy of my saying that the most popular attractions are currently "maxed-out" in their vehicle numbers and loading speed?
Because you guys were talking about whether these rides were at capacity. You seemed to be taking the postion that they were by saying that they were 'maxed out'. I brought up the fact that they do have excess capacity that the FP+ process might be able to drive guests to. (FP+ is the thread topic, after all.)
Old 01-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #337
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
For rides like TSM, Soarin', Space Mtn., EE, and maybe a few more, for the most part, that is the case.

I'm not talking about, say, 8AM EMH, mid-Jan.
I'm talking in general daily terms.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #338
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Someone reported that the button had disappeared as well. Seems it was premature.
I'm running it on my iPad right now. "Select FastPass+" button is still there, and still takes you to a calendar that errors out.

I do have a trip within the next 30 days though, so that might matter.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #339
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Because you guys were talking about whether these rides were at capacity. You seemed to be taking the postion that they were by saying that they were 'maxed out'. I brought up the fact that they do have excess capacity that the FP+ process might be able to drive guests to. (FP+ is the thread topic, after all.)
I don't know of ANY time when Soarin', TSM, and the other E-ticket attractions need people directed towards them. Aside from the first few minutes of the day, they run pretty much flat out except on REALLY slow days.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 01-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #340
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
For rides like TSM, Soarin', Space Mtn., EE, and maybe a few more, for the most part, that is the case.

I'm not talking about, say, 8AM EMH, mid-Jan.
I'm talking in general daily terms.
Actually.. it's not..

The rides as designed have a theoretical maximum capacity - commonly referred to as the THRC - Theoretical Hourly Rider Count. This is different than the OHRC - the Operational Hourly Rider Count.

Those two numbers are never the same. Why? Because the THRC works off mathetical calculations that include load/unload that spans an hour and averages the result (the THRC may calculate a 40 person vehicle unloading "on the hour" and thus gives each hour 20 guests equally, whereas in reality it unloads 5 seconds before or after giving the full 40 to a particular hour) and guests don't fill every seat nor do CMs and sometime rides get delayed or don't dispatch perfectly.

Heck, in a theater with bench seats it could be that there's bigger butts than ancitipated (or lots of little ones even.)

OHRC can be both above or below THRC.

The gap between the two numbers is known as Utilization. It's a percentage - the percentage of THRC actually achieved via the OHRC. Disney considers rides with very low utilization levels to be strains on their operational budgets. They do, already, change the number of operational units (and thereby change the THRC) to match predicted crowd levels. This allows them to do maintenance work on vehicles, staff lower, and etc..

Most notably you'll see them not running all the cars at the Speedway in MK, more duplicitous you -might- notice that Star Tours is only loading 4 of the available six vehicles despite the line being an hour long. Disney considers some waits to be acceptable.

At the same time, they have (as i mentioned above) increased the THRC of several attractions over the last 12-24 months in anticipation of the FP+ system. Minor tweaks add a few more guests per hour. Flumes chug water slightly faster, complex ride systems are reprogrammed to move a little quicker, etc.. They know they need the capacity with more people expecting to get on right-away via FP+.

They have also increased the number of FP's allowed at attractions from the previously set ratios. It used to be set to a near walk-on at all times.. it's now an anticipated and "acceptable" 5-10min wait, with 15mins not be unheard of on a normal day.

Last edited by mousermerf; 01-09-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #341
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Why wouldn't you simply relinquish your AK FP+s and see about getting some same-day FP+s for those Epcot rides? Sure, they may no longer be available, but that's exactly the same situation that you would be in with the old FP system.
e.
It is not the same as the old system. In the old system, on a rainy day, I would just not go to AK, hit up Epcot(or wherever) and get my FPs. If they dont do they same day FP+ or there are none left when I log on (how early would I have to log on) right now I get there at rope drop, ride and get a FP for later, in the new system I would have to log on when? and hope that they are still some Soarin FPs.

I also lost the quote about meeting family. But if I am meeting with family from FL at the last minute, the whole point is to ride rides TOGETHER, which we could do under the old system. We would meet at the park or at the resort, all enter together and pull FPs together. Now if I have to book mine early then we can ride but they cant. Or we take our chances that there will be same day FP+ so we can ride together only to find out they are gone. This would never have happen under the old system unless we waited until later in the day.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Old 01-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #342
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I'm not sure why there are so many assumptions about FP+ causing standby lines to get longer. FP+ does not change the capacity of the attraction. The same number of people will go through the attraction.
I am guessing that once the system gets going the total of FP and FP+ issued for each hour will be somewhat greater than last year's number of FP (only) issued for each hour.

Should (regular) FP go away then it is certainly possible for a same-day FP+ reservation to suggest or assign the "earliest possible" time slot still available which then mimics regular FP.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #343
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

And before says "but the rides are maxed out.."

No, typically they are not. Test Track runs with fewer vehicles than its maximum capacity almost every day of the year despite 2-3 hour waits.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #344
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashoreCM View Post
I am guessing that once the system gets going the total of FP and FP+ issued for each hour will be somewhat greater than last year's number of FP (only) issued for each hour.

Should (regular) FP go away then it is certainly possible for a same-day FP+ reservation to suggest or assign the "earliest possible" time slot still available which then mimics regular FP.
But I don't see why the total number of FP and FP+ will be greater than FP alone. My assumption is that when a FP+ is obtained, a corresponding FP is removed.

If they thought that the attraction could tolerate more reservations, be it via FP or FP+, they likely would have already added more FPs to the attraction to see the effects.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 01-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #345
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
It is not the same as the old system. In the old system, on a rainy day, I would just not go to AK, hit up Epcot(or wherever) and get my FPs. If they dont do they same day FP+ or there are none left when I log on (how early would I have to log on) right now I get there at rope drop, ride and get a FP for later, in the new system I would have to log on when? and hope that they are still some Soarin FPs.

I also lost the quote about meeting family. But if I am meeting with family from FL at the last minute, the whole point is to ride rides TOGETHER, which we could do under the old system. We would meet at the park or at the resort, all enter together and pull FPs together. Now if I have to book mine early then we can ride but they cant. Or we take our chances that there will be same day FP+ so we can ride together only to find out they are gone. This would never have happen under the old system unless we waited until later in the day.
They can buy their tickets in advance, be in your travel party on the MyMagic+ website, and have their tickets entered into the system and be able to book in advance.

No one is stopping anyone from buying tickets in advance. It IS possible.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: