Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #316
UNCFanatik
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
There are certain limits to how many vehicles such systems support safely - and it's a good bet that unless they've had to remove vehicles for mechanical reasons, they are already at that capacity.

Not necessarily with each increment, but then eventually someone will realize that overall it's been shortened quite a bit. And as I mentioned in a previous post...how much does that save you? TSM isn't the largest capacity attraction to begin with, which is part of it's problem.
My larger question was if the rides are already at maximum capacity? People were asserting that ride capacity could not be increased. Was curious if this was merely conjecture of a matter or certainty

Last edited by UNCFanatik; 01-09-2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 01-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #317
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousermerf

Several attractions have been speed up by a few seconds - Pirates, Test Track, etc.. There was an article on this recently. A few seconds each hour means hundreds to thousands of guests per hour. There was an article on it recently - it's why Country bear Jamboree is shorter.
At DL they complete go rid of it... SAVED LOTS of time for us!! ;-)
Was / still not a big fan of this show, yet there is always at least one person in my group that has to see it!

I don't know if you all remember " A goofy movie" but every time I get dragged to see this show I feel like max....

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #318
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Quote:
Obviously, the number of 'advance' FPs will reduce the number of total FPs available, but this doesn't mean that same-day FPs won't be offered.

They could, for instance, hold back a certain percentage of FPs for same-day use. They could even stagger when those were made available throughout the day, if they wished.
Sure, they could.
But, why would they want to?

If the FP+ system is to be successful, they have to make as many desirable FP+ positions available as possible.

Otherwise, what's all the hype about?
Actually, by staggering the amount of FP+s that are released in advance and holding some until same-day, two things would happen:
  1. The very same number of desirable FP+ positions would be made available, and
  2. These fastpasses would still be available beyond 60 days prior, allowing more people to benefit from FP+. This would, therefore, increase FP+ satisfaction, especially among the important 'passholder' and 'local, non-tourist' groups.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #319
UNCFanatik
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousermerf View Post
Several attractions have been speed up by a few seconds - Pirates, Test Track, etc.. There was an article on this recently. A few seconds each hour means hundreds to thousands of guests per hour. There was an article on it recently - it's why Country bear Jamboree is shorter.
Thanks for the info. I see there have been measures to increase ride capacity and that more maybe possible.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #320
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCFanatik View Post
My larger question was if the rides are already at maximum capacity? People were asserting that ride capacity could not be increased. Was curious if this was merely conjecture or a matter or certainty
If Disney is running attractions with variable capacity at less than maximum at peak times, then they are not doing anything to keep the guests out of the lines they so desperately want them to not be in.

The only reason they'd do that otherwise is to save on maintenance - i.e, they only run 1 concourse out of 2 at Soarin' to save wear and tear on one of them...but again, at peak times, I wouldn't expect them to do this.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 01-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #321
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorilais_mommie View Post
I didn't want to book FP+ yet.... I know it's not up yet..

Others have been able to pull up the button and FP+ info on the app...
I would really like to read through it myself.. However I still have not be able to find what they have been talking about..

I'm not sure if this is b/c they have packages booked? Or within 60days of their trips...

It seems some can pull it up and some can't... I just wanted the treks and conditions others have be reading through direct from disney.... That's all...
I can't pull up a FP+ button in the app. The terms of service that some have mentioned, however, is available. Click 'more', 'privacy & legal', 'Disney Park Experience Terms and Conditions'.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #322
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
Actually, by staggering the amount of FP+s that are released in advance and holding some until same-day, two things would happen:
  1. The very same number of desirable FP+ positions would be made available, and
  2. These fastpasses would still be available beyond 60 days prior, allowing more people to benefit from FP+. This would, therefore, increase FP+ satisfaction, especially among the important 'passholder' and 'local, non-tourist' groups.
That puts us back a lot closer to square one, doesn't it?

The "regular" FP system (still in use at Disneyland) offered fair and equitable FP opportunities to all guests who simply went to the park and got them.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #323
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
There were reports that the iOS app (NOT the Android app) had a FastPass+ button when looking at the attractions, but it didn't work (called up a error screen or something). No one can book anything yet.
I'm in the iOS app right now. When I pull up an attraction, it shows me the current FP return window and the current wait time. It doesn't have a FP+ button.

Just an FYI.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #324
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
I'm in the iOS app right now. When I pull up an attraction, it shows me the current FP return window and the current wait time. It doesn't have a FP+ button.

Just an FYI.
Someone reported that the button had disappeared as well. Seems it was premature.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 01-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #325
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
1- I'd never say "couldn't," but logically they have already maxed-out the "E-ticket" attractions due to their super popularity.
It occurs to me that that statement isn't quite accurate. There are certain times of the week and day that a person can pretty much walk on these attractions and the rides are run at these times with empty seats. It seems that FP+ could be used to drive demand to this supply.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #326
ThornXBL
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I don't believe that the bolded bit is correct.

The off-site guests get a 'ticket with features of touch'. This would be an RFID card, not a tyvek card. In my mind, statements like this make it pretty clear that the old FP system is going away pretty quickly.
While I agree that this whole thing sounds like a harbinger of doom for the old FP system, guests would still have the option of using their Tyvek tickets if they have them, or else the existing FP machines would be unusable by all guests. You can trade in a Tyvek for a 'ticket with features of touch' if you want the new MyMagic+ stuff.

Now, it will be interesting to see if resort packages w/ tickets force you in to using the bands and preventing you from using old FPs. I am guessing they would. I am already planning my next trip to be a Room-Only deal with Tyvek tickets from Undercover Tourist, but I am curious to see how this all unfolds.
Disneyland: 9/2012

"Looks like Brer Fox and Brer Bear are causin' some kinda commotion downstream..."
Old 01-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #327
Robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornXBL View Post
While I agree that this whole thing sounds like a harbinger of doom for the old FP system, guests would still have the option of using their Tyvek tickets if they have them, or else the existing FP machines would be unusable by all guests...
There has been lots of discussion about this.

It's safe to put your money in the long-term (say, a year or so) that the conventional ticket/FP machines won't
be an option.

Last edited by Robo; 01-09-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #328
Robo

Quote:
1- I'd never say "couldn't," but logically they have already maxed-out the "E-ticket" attractions due to their super popularity.
Quote:
It occurs to me that that statement isn't quite accurate. There are certain times of the week and day that a person can pretty much walk on these attractions and the rides are run at these times with empty seats. It seems that FP+ could be used to drive demand to this supply.
You are likely misunderstanding my meaning.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #329
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That puts us back a lot closer to square one, doesn't it?
That depends on what you believe the goal of MyMagic+ is.

I'm of the camp that believes that it is to turn visitors into wowwed visitors by better helping them manage their park time, adding extra wow, and getting them to buy things now and return to buy again. AP holders and locals who have little prayer of riding what they want to ride are less likely to come back and spend again compared to those who have a chance at obtaining a same-day FP for their favorite rides.

I donubt that going to FP+ is change for change sake. Nor is it completely throwing away the current FP schema, given that many (most?) guests see the current FP model as a useful benefit. I believe that the end game is to add to the benefits of FP, not take away from it. The only way to truly accomplish this is to offer some amount of quality same-day FPs, in my opinion.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #330
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornXBL View Post
While I agree that this whole thing sounds like a harbinger of doom for the old FP system, guests would still have the option of using their Tyvek tickets if they have them, or else the existing FP machines would be unusable by all guests. You can trade in a Tyvek for a 'ticket with features of touch' if you want the new MyMagic+ stuff.

Now, it will be interesting to see if resort packages w/ tickets force you in to using the bands and preventing you from using old FPs. I am guessing they would. I am already planning my next trip to be a Room-Only deal with Tyvek tickets from Undercover Tourist, but I am curious to see how this all unfolds.
That's the thing. We don't even know if the current FP machines will exist. The official stuff that has been posted says something to the effect of 'people can opt out of using FP+'. To my knowledge, it doesn't say that they will be able to still use old-school FP.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: