Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #2956
Wadecool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-dad66

Train wreck complete.

Heading over to catch the new train.
Nah, there's lots more dead horse beating yet to do...

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 01-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #2957
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraught View Post
I think the 'pay to play' mentioned late last night is the other shoe dropping.

US and basically every other theme park charges something for their version of FP. Disney was giving it away for free. Don't you think they wanted to get some return on that? People were paying many hundreds of $ for a stay in a deluxe, and complaining "there were no FPs available when I showed up! Do you know how much I paid for this? I deserve better! I'll go to US where they are happy to take my money and give me superior benefits."

And Disney was giving the best FP perks away for free to people who probably didn't spend as much (I know I sure didn't.)

I think a valid ticket will get us some minimal FP+, and staying on-site or at a fancier resort will get you more.

As a family of 5, we always stay off-site ($75 for a 3 bedroom condo instead of $300 a night for anywhere at Disney). I'm disappointed, but I understand the business reasons behind it.

The mouse wants his cheese.
I really think this is something they are going to look at. Rather than free dining to get guests to stay onsite (which actually costs real money) they could give out extra FP+ (which add zero extra costs to the system once it is already in place). Seems like an easy way to increase revenue.

Now what will they do for DVC owner? If nothing, how will that impact their sales. What they could do though is say direct purchasers get the perk and resale purchasers don't.
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #2958
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Somewhere in this thread, rumor and hearsay turned into "info".

How this thread remains open boggles the mind.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #2959
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCFanatik View Post
Yes, I do realize that. Same people that seem to fail to understand the difference between actual policy versus any guest recovery methods that are put in place to address specific issues.

The same people that claim they never broke ANY Disney rules. Well, except the rules that didnt really matter or apply to them or of course they didnt agree with.

It certainly is a worldview that I cant comprehend.
Wow..I'm sorry, but that's just rude. Honestly, I never thought I was breaking any disney rules by passing on a FP when we couldn't use it. Obviously we were, but that doesn't mean my view of the world is that rules don't matter or apply to me if I don't agree with them. TBH, I never took the time to read anything other than the return time on the FPs. I doubt I'm the only one.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Old 01-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #2960
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie View Post
Anyone who would like to explain how they stand to make a billion+ on this whole thing, feel free. I'm not seeing it.
30,000 hotel rooms * 365 days * $20/day = $219,000,000

While totally made up numbers, if they can use this to increase the revenuce they get from each hotel room every day of the year it could add up to a lot.

Or taking all Disney parks attendence at 121,400,000 annually (2011 numbers from Wikipedia), if they can turn that in to a couple of extra dollars from each guest, it adds up quickly.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #2961
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
I don't believe that anyone is taking the position that the company spent a billion dollars just to keep a few of us from riding TSMM five times per day.

Instead, I believe that they were building the nextgen/mymagic+/magic band system to do many things that tend to serve the bottom line. The development of nextgen allowed them to also fix some things that weren't quite right, but never really rose to the importance of deserving their own big change. One of these was FPs.

FP supposedly wasn't working in practice the same way that it was conceived. The few tweaks that were made over the years never really got it to where it was conceived to be. Rolling it into nextgen allows a more sweeping change to be made that might allow it to be 'fixed' once and for all.

Of course, this is all just speculation.
I would say your speculation is very close to the mark.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #2962
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
I would say your speculation is very close to the mark.
Very much so...

People seem to be missing that FP+ is the small part of the whole NextGen project. however it's the part where people are getting those noses bent out of shape because Disney is implementing the rules it wants to get guests to behave the way they want.

I dont begrudge anyone for doing what they were allowed in the old system, but the new system is what Disney wants.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #2963
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Fixes!

We need more FIXES!

You keep saying that like it's a bad thing The reality of it is that every change that they have made since day one has been a 'fix'. There is nothing wrong with continually trying to improve.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #2964
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan1080 View Post
Absolutely, FP+ could have been done for various reasons, no question. But, imo, it's primary reason is revenue.
Every decision that every company makes is about revenue, or more technically, profits. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I have no doubt that Disney is keenly aware of how guest satisfaction ties into profits.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #2965
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousermerf View Post
You realize the same people ignoring a printed obvious actual policy are the same one arguing the validity of a "policy" they believe that was never in print..?
What do you mean 'was never in print'? Here it is:
Old 01-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #2966
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I think we can now just dispense with all the arguments about what did and didn't qualify as abuse. It is irrelevant now, much like the debates on late FP returns and whether it was a "policy" or a "procedure" or a "guideline" or whatever.

The new system is coming. It puts an end to practices that some believe were abuse and others don't, but no matter what it is coming to an end.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: