Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #1546
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldTDuck View Post
If all vacations started on Sunday, they could save millions on staff at the resorts. But they don't. You've nailed that argument.

That's a bunch on malarkey(TM Joe Biden). Many people that do 2 MK days don't ride the Speedway on day 1 because it's not a priority. But on their second MK day, which may be day 2 of their vacation, they ride it because they've pretty much been there done that with everything else. We are not little houses made out of ticky tacky and we don't all tour the same.
It's an average, and that's all Disney needs to make a profit. Day 5 guests do not cost the same in resources as Day 1 guests.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #1547
g-dad66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousermerf View Post
Depending on what you do, you physically cost Disney less than a Day 1 park guest on average.

Say you go to MK on your Day 1 - ride a bunch of rides, visit guest relations for a birthday button, stick around for the parade and fireworks, etc..

Well, every single moment cost them money to produce. Nothing is natural and sprung up from the earth - not the grass, not the trees, not the water. All of it cost money to put there. Plus staffing, etc..

So then Day 5.... You visit MK, ride a "few" attractions, don't stop by guest relations for a button, don't stop to see the parade, and don't watch the fireworks because you've done that already.

You've cost them less money. Yes they still had people at Guest Relations but only 3 instead of 4 to cover yours and all the other day 5 guest questions/button requests in a reasonable amount of time. Same for the parade and fireworks.. yes they still have it.. but they're not doing the parade twice like they do during busy seasons and they're not having to open the backstage gates and reroute people and hire more crowd control staff like they would if all the Day 5 guests were behaving like Day 1 guests.

And that's why you cant sell a ticket to someone else.. because it reverts to a Day 1 ticket when a new person uses it and thus the calculations for how much a guest "costs" is thrown all out of whack and costs Disney more than they expected to keep you safe, happy, etc..

Epcot needs 10,000 paying guests to stay in the black, btw. Otherwise it loses money just by being open.

OK, I get it, thanks.

BUT.....doesn't that line of reasoning lead to the conclusion that it's better to encourage repeat business rather than first-time customers? Don't repeat customers use fewer resources? (e.g. "If we don't ride TSM this trip, no biggie, we'll be back again in 6 months."

Yet, we are told that FP+ is designed to reduce the complaints from first-time (or infrequent) customers at the expense of us repeat FP super-users, aren't we?

Seems strange to me.

Historical Orlando weather data here: http://www.leaveittogenie.com/weather.html
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #1548
DonaldTDuck
DIS Veteran

I believe that in six months after roll out Bill Cosby will go on tv to apoligize for FP+ and say that for now on it will be called New Fastpass and will reintroduce Fastpass Classic. Then in a year FP+ will disappear without a word, only upsetting those in Detroit.
If we don't learn from our mistakes we are doomed to repeat them. Disney has done poor research on this and will pay the price.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #1549
mummabear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
And believe it or not, most folks are most concerned about how this affects THEIR trip as opposed to the collective whole.
Of course they do! I have spent over $10,000 on my trip in May/June and I'm not even there yet the transition period concerns my ability to really enjoy the trip I have invested this kind of money in
Old 01-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #1550
MickeyMinnieMom
If you ticket it, they will come... ;)

Quote:
It's an average, and that's all Disney needs to make a profit. Day 5 guests do not cost the same in resources as Day 1 guests.
Makes good common, logical and business sense.

But wait: that's business -- not magic... they must not care about anyone who stays past 5 days... or is it less than 5 days... wait... who should be angered by this?!?! Please clarify ASAP.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #1551
DonaldTDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They can say it and you can quote it, but it doesn't make it any more true.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #1552
MickeyMinnieMom
If you ticket it, they will come... ;)

Quote:
I believe that in six months after roll out Bill Cosby will go on tv to apoligize for FP+ and say that for now on it will be called New Fastpass and will reintroduce Fastpass Classic. Then in a year FP+ will disappear without a word, only upsetting those in Detroit.
If we don't learn from our mistakes we are doomed to repeat them. Disney has done poor research on this and will pay the price.
Sounds factual. Case closed.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #1553
UNCFanatik
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Please mark your calendar for this. Would love to match your prediction to what actually happens.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #1554
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Re: Transferring FP+ reservations to others in your party (e.g. letting your kid use your Tower FP). Depending on how exactly you read the DPE Terms and Conditions, this may well be possible. I would not assume you can't just yet.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #1555
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-dad66 View Post
OK, I get it, thanks.

BUT.....doesn't that line of reasoning lead to the conclusion that it's better to encourage repeat business rather than first-time customers? Don't repeat customers use fewer resources? (e.g. "If we don't ride TSM this trip, no biggie, we'll be back again in 6 months."

Yet, we are told that FP+ is designed to reduce the complaints from first-time (or infrequent) customers at the expense of us repeat FP super-users, aren't we?

Seems strange to me.
People who "game the system" are also paying less than other guests, on average. They're there on comp tickets from employee friends, using FL resident discounts, made a complaint to get comp nights, etc..

There is essentially a group of guests Disney has no qualms about kicking to the curb in order to replace them with more profitable guest demographics.

And the RFID technology allows them to zero in on exactly who these people are better than ever before.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #1556
londonderrydisneyfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Way too much money has been spent for FP+ to disappear, but I will be surprised if it still limits people to 3 FP per day a year after it's rolled out.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #1557
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Apparently they all do.. and they still wonder why Disney is limiting them to 3 FP+ per day...
Yeah. Cuz selling a FP to a total stranger for profit is exactly the same as letting your child use it.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #1558
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
People who "game the system" are also paying less than other guests, on average. They're there on comp tickets from employee friends, using FL resident discounts, made a complaint to get comp nights, etc..

There is essentially a group of guests Disney has no qualms about kicking to the curb in order to replace them with more profitable guest demographics.

And the RFID technology allows them to zero in on exactly who these people are better than ever before.
Looks like I was always bad--I live in Florida. Oh well, I guess I can go tear it up now.

Very insightful.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #1559
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

Quote:
I'll be waiting for them to zero in on me as one of their more profitable guests and see what happens.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #1560
g-dad66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Apparently they all do.. and they still wonder why Disney is limiting them to 3 FP+ per day...
I've been reading DisBoards for five years now, and I can't recall anyone ever defending SELLING of Fast Passes.

I'm not interested in re-debating why selling is wrong, but giving away is OK, (although isn't there obviously a difference in financial return between selling and giving? Just askin'.....)

At any rate, just wanted to correct the idea that we FP super-users must be in favor of selling FPs.

Historical Orlando weather data here: http://www.leaveittogenie.com/weather.html
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: