Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #16
BellePrincessBelle
Nothing says Thanksgiving like some road kill

I used bumpers & all my kids are alive & well. What I did for the solid back crib was cut off the extra, sew the ends up & tie it to the 3 sides.
BellePrincessBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #17
ChitownFamily
Mouseketeer

i think they are a waste of money. A product that can only be used for a couple of months. can't use them early on b/c of SIDS risk, can't use them once they start to pull up- b/c they can stand on them to pull out of crib.

anyways, when you say solid back, i'm not sure if you are not interested in the safer breathable bumper option:
http://www.amazon.com/BreathableBaby.../dp/B0013FGWD0

ETA: oh good lord, i'm TIRED! I read that - as you were looking for a solid crib bumper...SMH!!!
ANYWAYS a quick google search:

i found a picture/product for solid back cribs: http://www.breathablebaby.com/mm5/me...CRIB-FIT-GUIDE

Cruise March 2013 (RCI-LIberty of the Seas)
11/28/12-12/8/12 art of animation (Nemo)
Spring 04- offsite, Universal/IOA, Discovery, DW
Christmas-New Years 02-offsite (Been there, Done that!)

Last edited by ChitownFamily; 01-07-2013 at 07:00 AM.
ChitownFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #18
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellePrincessBelle View Post
I used bumpers & all my kids are alive & well. What I did for the solid back crib was cut off the extra, sew the ends up & tie it to the 3 sides.
Well, I did too, and mine are fine, but I also never wore a seatbelt until I was in my 20's, and never got into a car accident. However, my kids wear seatbelts.

I was also told to place my oldest on her side to sleep (with some contraption). I was told to put the rest of them on their backs. I was told to turn my kids around in the car at one year, because that was safest.

Things are always changing, as more information is gained. I did love bumpers, if only to keep the binkies in the crib! But it's sure easier to change a crib sheet without them.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #19
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellePrincessBelle
This is one of the most illogical arguments I have ever heard. Just because you did something and "your kids are fine" doesn't mean what you did was safe or right! Many laws/rules/recommendations have changed over the years due to DEATHS. That is usually what is the cause of a change. This is why babies are now in carseats (and much longer for that matter), that is why we have seat belt laws, etc. There have been NUMEROUS babies dying from suffocation due to bumpers! Doctors are also trying to determine if SIDS is linked to bumpers due to a lack or decrease of airflow around the baby. Just as carseat rules/regulations have changed to help prevent unnecessary death over the last few years, so has the rules about bumpers. It drives me nuts when people use the argument that "I did X and my kid is fine, so don't listen to the research and advise of doctors!"
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt

Last edited by thedonduck; 01-07-2013 at 09:40 AM.
thedonduck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #20
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchulka View Post
This response is beyond ridiculous. Are you seriously insinuating that she is planning to get a crib bumper so that she can just throw the baby in a crib all day instead of taking care of it?!! The responses in general are crazy, everyone acts like if she gets a bumper she is threatening her childs life just for vanity!! She already said she wanted advice on what bumper not a discussion on whether she should get a bumper or not. I bet if she was planning to put the bumper on a drop side crib people would already be calling CPS on her! Everything in life has a small risk to it, if you do enough research you can find that a small number of babies have been killed by virtually any item out there. To the OP I have no advice on how to make a bumper work on a crib with a flat back but I can tell you I have a 9 & 10 year old who are alive and well despite sleeping in a drop side crib with a bumper. Also I did put them in there sometimes to play quietly alone! I guess it's a wonder that they are alive and seemingly well adjusted given the death wish I had on them as infants
Well, I have a 16 year old that is lucky to be alive.

First day home in the hospital, put baby in crib for the night. On back, no blankets, pillows, center of crib, following all the suggestions in place back then. I was a seasoned mother, so was pretty confident I was doing it just fine.

Got up to do middle of the night feed and somehow the baby had scooted into the bedding. To this day, I have no idea a newborn scooted enough to get into the bumpers, they are supposed to be helpless and not move. Because of the weight into the bumper on the bottom, the top was creased over the baby's face.

Bumpers came out that night and never went back in.

Glad to hear that 16 years later bumpers are now frowned upon.

I won't give any suggestions on how to put the bumpers on that type of bed (same type as we had and it was the solid part where the bumpers folded over because of no way of securing them) because I agree with the literature that they should not be used.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #21
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonduck View Post
This is one of the most illogical arguments I have ever heard. Just because you did something and "your kids are fine" doesn't mean what you did was safe or right! Many laws/rules/recommendations have changed over the years due to DEATHS. That is usually what is the cause of a change. This is why babies are now in carseats (and much longer for that matter), that is why we have seat belt laws, etc. There have been NUMEROUS babies dying from suffocation due to bumpers! Doctors are also trying to determine if SIDS is linked to bumpers due to a lack or decrease of airflow around the baby. Just as carseat rules/regulations have changed to help prevent unnecessary death over the last few years, so has the rules about bumpers. It drives me nuts when people use the argument that "I did X and my kid is fine, so don't listen to the research and advise of doctors!"
You must have quoted the wrong person. The person you quoted was actually agreeing that bumpers are not necessary and better to follow today's warnings.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #22
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
You must have quoted the wrong person. The person you quoted was actually agreeing that bumpers are not necessary and better to follow today's warnings.
Crap, I clicked the wrong one and will edit!!! Thanks :-)
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #23
Mickey Fliers
(Not so)Tagless
"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. And sometimes, it rains"
Don't hate me for the love of the boy band

Location: Until the Navy says otherwise: Yokosuka, Kanagawa, Japan

Quote:
This response is beyond ridiculous. Are you seriously insinuating that she is planning to get a crib bumper so that she can just throw the baby in a crib all day instead of taking care of it?!! The responses in general are crazy, everyone acts like if she gets a bumper she is threatening her childs life just for vanity!! She already said she wanted advice on what bumper not a discussion on whether she should get a bumper or not. I bet if she was planning to put the bumper on a drop side crib people would already be calling CPS on her! Everything in life has a small risk to it, if you do enough research you can find that a small number of babies have been killed by virtually any item out there. To the OP I have no advice on how to make a bumper work on a crib with a flat back but I can tell you I have a 9 & 10 year old who are alive and well despite sleeping in a drop side crib with a bumper. Also I did put them in there sometimes to play quietly alone! I guess it's a wonder that they are alive and seemingly well adjusted given the death wish I had on them as infants
Gosh darn that American Academy of Pediatics...always doing the studies and trying to keep babies and kids safer. Always trying to ruin a cute nursery.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #24
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Spend your money on blanket sleepers instead. Blankets and pillows are not allowed either.
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:49 AM   #25
lillygator

Mom of two Princesses!
Grew up wanting to be a can can girl
let's just say my whoop whoop's woke the sleeping giant!

Quote:
rude, rude and rude.....but thank you for calling me ridiculous - ha, I was not insuating she would do anything, but there is no need for a bumper unless your child plans on spending the day in the crib - most moms have a monitor to hear issues regardless. amazingly, drop side cribs aren't made anymore, hmmmmmm.....
lol, it is a wonder!
Hide the rum, the 2007 Bad Girl Adventures have begun!
'04 ~ Pop, AKL, ASMo, WL & Wonder Cruise!
'05 ~ ASMo, CBR, CSR, ASMu, Pop, Poly & Eastern Cruise!
'06 ~ POR, ASSports, ASMusic x 2, AKL, BWI, POP & Double Dip Cruise!
'07 ~ CBR, ASMo, BCV x 2, OKW, Orlando Breeze, POP!!
'08 ~ Offsite Knight's Inn YUCK! ~ Stealing the Magic ~ May Repo! Candy Cane Inn!
'09 ~ May DCL Western~Key Lime Pirates!
lillygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:51 AM   #26
lillygator

Mom of two Princesses!
Grew up wanting to be a can can girl
let's just say my whoop whoop's woke the sleeping giant!

and op ---- cut the bumper and tie it to the 2 ends!
Hide the rum, the 2007 Bad Girl Adventures have begun!
'04 ~ Pop, AKL, ASMo, WL & Wonder Cruise!
'05 ~ ASMo, CBR, CSR, ASMu, Pop, Poly & Eastern Cruise!
'06 ~ POR, ASSports, ASMusic x 2, AKL, BWI, POP & Double Dip Cruise!
'07 ~ CBR, ASMo, BCV x 2, OKW, Orlando Breeze, POP!!
'08 ~ Offsite Knight's Inn YUCK! ~ Stealing the Magic ~ May Repo! Candy Cane Inn!
'09 ~ May DCL Western~Key Lime Pirates!
lillygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #27
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

There are mesh bumpers too.... Might want to think about those.

Hoping for Dec. 2015!
pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #28
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

I am totally amazed at how many ppl just ignored OP's request to not debate whether or not she should use the bumper and went ahead and felt the need to give your advice and opinion anyway.

In a case like that when the OP asks for no debate I think if you feel the need to debate you should back out of that thread on move on to other ones.

But of course everyone feels their own opinion is THE OPINION and goes right on with it.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #29
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

If bumpers are important to you, what about those "wonder bumpers" that wrap around each individual crib bar? They claim they are safer and there wouldn't be an issue with the back.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #30
Mickey Fliers
(Not so)Tagless
"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. And sometimes, it rains"
Don't hate me for the love of the boy band

Location: Until the Navy says otherwise: Yokosuka, Kanagawa, Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
I am totally amazed at how many ppl just ignored OP's request to not debate whether or not she should use the bumper and went ahead and felt the need to give your advice and opinion anyway.

In a case like that when the OP asks for no debate I think if you feel the need to debate you should back out of that thread on move on to other ones.

But of course everyone feels their own opinion is THE OPINION and goes right on with it.
So, just because she asked for no debate on something that could potentially be dangerous to her baby, we should keep our mouths (or fingers) silent? That's silly. No one berated her or called names. It was simply said that while bumpers are cute, they are a potential hazard. I think we would be remiss if we didn't point out that bumpers are unnecessary and can be fatal.

If the OP had said "I need to figure out how to put this space heater close to the crib to keep baby warm. No debate, I really want this space heater as close as possible", wold you honestly not try and tell this mother that it is a bad idea?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: