Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
fortwildernessishome
DIS Veteran

Facebook Question

I am new to Facebook in the past six months and have a few silly questions.

I realize that none of this matters and that there is no right or wrong answer. I am just curious as to how other people use facebook regarding other peoples posts or their own.

First example; if one of your "friends" is on vacation and post pictures once a day and you look forward to seeing the pics and following along on their journey, do you, leave a comment, hit the like button, or just look and leave no feedback that you have enjoyed the photos.

If you make a post with some exciting news, ie; new job, upcoming vacation, new birth in the family. And people leave you comments, do you, hit the like button at their comment, at the end of the day when many people have left you comments, say, "thanks to all" or just leave it be and do nothing.

I know, it doesnt matter and I know everyone uses Facebook differently, like I said, I am just curious.

Thanks all!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
kate_wdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwildernessishome View Post
I am new to Facebook in the past six months and have a few silly questions.

I realize that none of this matters and that there is no right or wrong answer. I am just curious as to how other people use facebook regarding other peoples posts or their own.

First example; if one of your "friends" is on vacation and post pictures once a day and you look forward to seeing the pics and following along on their journey, do you, leave a comment, hit the like button, or just look and leave no feedback that you have enjoyed the photos.

If you make a post with some exciting news, ie; new job, upcoming vacation, new birth in the family. And people leave you comments, do you, hit the like button at their comment, at the end of the day when many people have left you comments, say, "thanks to all" or just leave it be and do nothing.

I know, it doesnt matter and I know everyone uses Facebook differently, like I said, I am just curious.

Thanks all!
If one of my good friends posts vacation pictures, I generally like them or post a comment if I genuinely have something to say about them. If someone I'm friends with on FB but not close to in real life posts vacation pictures, I may view them but I'm probably not going to hit like or comment because I'd feel kind of like a creeper. If the destination is somewhere truly awesome or I have something to say about it, I may comment.

When people respond to my posts, I try to respond in comments. I only hit like if I agree with what they said or think it was particularly funny or clever.
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

What I don't like and can just be me is if a friend hits like on a comment that is negative that is just mean in my book
Old 01-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

I usually 'like' photos that catch my eye. I will comment on it if i really have something to say, otherwise i will just hit like. If a picture doesn't catch my eye, i will not do anything.

If someone comments on a post and leaves an open ended comment, i will post something. But a lot of the time i will just like their comment. I would feel bad if i didn't post anything in reply or at least like it. Lol.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor
What I don't like and can just be me is if a friend hits like on a comment that is negative that is just mean in my book
Lol. I know what you mean. It does sound cruel, but in most cases im sure they don't mean it that way.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

I love looking at people's vacation photos! I generally "like" thing that I like, lol. I don't hit like for every post on my wall though. And I try to always thank people for birthday and well wishes, just as I would in person.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor
Sometimes the person is just trying to be supportive. That's how I choose to look at it anyways.

I will like statuses and vacation photos just to be supportive. There's probably nothing worse than getting that new job or whatever or taking a trip and none of your friends care.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu

Sometimes the person is just trying to be supportive. That's how I choose to look at it anyways.

I will like statuses and vacation photos just to be supportive. There's probably nothing worse than getting that new job or whatever or taking a trip and none of your friends care.
Never thought of it that way
Old 01-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate_wdw View Post
If one of my good friends posts vacation pictures, I generally like them or post a comment if I genuinely have something to say about them. If someone I'm friends with on FB but not close to in real life posts vacation pictures, I may view them but I'm probably not going to hit like or comment because I'd feel kind of like a creeper. If the destination is somewhere truly awesome or I have something to say about it, I may comment.

When people respond to my posts, I try to respond in comments. I only hit like if I agree with what they said or think it was particularly funny or clever.
All of the above. It also depends on the mood I'm in and how much time I feel like spending replying on a particular day.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
Kellydelly
DIS Veteran

I like it better when people actually comment on my photos than just "like" them, but not everyone has all day to blow sunshine up my rear . I also don't like it or get it when people like a negative comment, what is the point . I guess it means they commiserate or whatever, but it doesn't always look right in context to what is posted.
Kellydelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
I turn that feature off so I don't see my friends' "likes" or comments unless they're on something I'm seeing on purpose

Wish there was a quick way to mass maintenance that like in the old days
Old 01-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
fortwildernessishome
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the responses!

Like I said, I am new to facebook, but some people just surprise me. I only have around 60 "friends" and they are all truly my friends/family. No long lost friends or relative strangers!

For me, if I have the time to look at somones vacation photos, then I will leave a comment. If I am pressed for time (although, I am not usually that pressed or I wouldnt have had the time to view the photos to begine with!!) then I will at least hit the "like" button.

If, I post about some excitng event (although, I rarely have) and my friends are kind enough to leave me feedback, I will hit the "like" button next to their supportive comment.

I find myself surprised at times how cold some people are on Facebook with people that are your "friends" However, I guess is you have hundreds and hundreds of "friends" maybe they arent really your friends!

Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #13
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydelly View Post
I like it better when people actually comment on my photos than just "like" them, but not everyone has all day to blow sunshine up my rear . I also don't like it or get it when people like a negative comment, what is the point . I guess it means they commiserate or whatever, but it doesn't always look right in context to what is posted.
The "like" on negative posts can serve as two functions besides being mean. If someone says, "Please pray or think of us because xyz" by liking it, we are saying we agree to do so instead of typing it out. Also, for some negative posts like "our dog is missing or whatever" people will like the post because it then send update notifications every time someone comments on it. That way, if you are keeping an eye out for the missing dog, for example, you see if someone posts they found it or whatever. Make sense? It comes in handy for news updates or if you get a lot on your newsfeed.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:03 AM   #14
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

My understanding s that not everything that my friends posts wll show up n my news feed makes sense--you simply cannot have that much info) and there is some formula facebook uses to determine what ends up there----the more I have liked or commented or shared things a particular friend posts, the more their stuff will show up in my newsfeed over others.

So, with that in mind, f I enjoy seeing photos, even if do not have a comment for them, I will at least click like.

I also generally try to click like when people comment on my stuff, to acknowledge that I have read the comment.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:12 AM   #15
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
My understanding s that not everything that my friends posts wll show up n my news feed makes sense--you simply cannot have that much info) and there is some formula facebook uses to determine what ends up there----the more I have liked or commented or shared things a particular friend posts, the more their stuff will show up in my newsfeed over others.

So, with that in mind, f I enjoy seeing photos, even if do not have a comment for them, I will at least click like.

I also generally try to click like when people comment on my stuff, to acknowledge that I have read the comment.
You will see them more if you set them up as "Close Friends" as opposed to acquaintances. If someone is starting to annoy me, I make sure they are acquaintance so I can still go see their posts, but they don't just pop up on my newsfeed constantly. It puts a star next to their name and you will see everything they post. Also, you are correct on the likes. If you don't like or comment for a while, you don't see their posts or pics. So, occasionally, I pull them up and like a couple of things and then I see them again.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: