Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

What's your experience: the best time of year and worst time of year to go to Disney?

For us, I would say December was both!

Dec. was the best time of year once for us because the weather was mild, the crowds were light, and the activities were great.

The last time we went in Dec., was the worst time of year to go because it was frigid! So cold we had the whole winter garb thing going on. We were prepared for any weather, thank goodness. Wind chill was out of sight. Felt like the wind was cutting through us. It was colder than home because of the wind chill! There were more crowds some of the time. That didn't mix well with the cold. All in all still a good, fun vacation. But not the same as a mild weather one. The pictures of us all bundled up are pretty funny.

I think next time we are going for a time frame that is not so cold!

What about you?

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Worst: July -- NEVER AGAIN!

Best: February! Light crowds and beautiful weather.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

We like to go the end of October to the beginning of November. Usually, the weather is still warm (and it is just starting to get cold here) and the crowds are low. We usually can walk right onto rides. Plus there is the Wine & Food Festival.

My Blog: Have Budget Will Travel

Riles_and_Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
#1hoosierfan
DIS Veteran

I have been in January, March, June, and October.

We lucked out on our January trip. The temp was in the high seventies the whole time we were there, but several things seemed to be down for refurbishment. The parks were practically empty, though. As a teacher, this is not a good time for me to go, though.

We have had gorgeous weather the last two spring break trips, but it is pretty crowded.

June... hot, crowded... no more summer trips for us.

October - great weather, lower crowds. Food and Wine Festival..... definitely our favorite!
March 2012 - CBR
October 2011 (wine and dine half-marathon)
March 2011, June 2010
#1hoosierfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
diznee25
DIS Veteran

We've been to WDW in May,July, October, and December......no 'worst time' of year for us. We'd go any month!!! Just bundle up when it's cold, and drink lots of water during the warmer months. Crowds don't bother us, and we've been in MK on Christmas Day!

diznee25
Old 01-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
Aurora63
I do look ravishing, don't I?
I had several frog incidents growing up

Being a teacher, I can only get there during the holidays or summer, or sometimes for a quick weekend visit.

That being said...worst time was New Year's....way too crowded!!!! Never again. I've been in July (over the 4th), and I would go during the 4th over new years any time!

Best...first week of June. Not too hot (but I am a native Floridian, and hot is a relative term.) and not too horribly crowded.

Also, beginning of November wasn't bad either.

Aurora63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

We have been in September and mid October.

October was best for us - the temps weren't as hot and crowds definitely manageable.

September trips have been the worst. I'm not sure we'll go during September again. It's so hot, humid, and sticky. Yes, the crowds are low, but I find myself ducking into stores constantly to be able to breathe (and that's bad for my wallet!).

Next time we're going in November, so we'll see how that stacks up.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I have been Jan (11x), Feb, Mar, Apr, May (5x), Aug, Sep, Oct (5x), Nov, Dec (2x)

Best is Oct, I love the weather the Halloween party and Food & Wine.

Worst is Dec, I hate those Christmas crowds.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
lvillotta1
Mouseketeer

We are leaving Sat and coming back Wed of next week. Hope the crowds will be reasonable and the weather nice.
lvillotta1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

We have to go on weekends and holidays, due to kids being in school. We were blocked out for Christmas week. Best time to go. Beginning of December. Worst time so far is the first week of January. We just got back and it was wall to wall people. We were ok from rope drop to 11am. Then it felt like the whole state of California showed up. It was not enjoyable.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
PatsGirl
Kids will write the darndest things
I'm a fan of the Red Sox and anyone who beats the Yankees
I can't believe my parents lived through my shenanigans

Best was the week after Thanksgiving ~ fantastic weather, Xmas decorations up, and low crowds. Also loved the first week of May.

Worst was February school vacation. Too crowded and too chilly for me to spend all that mullah heading south
Last night my sister and I were sitting in the den and I said to her, "I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle to keep me alive. That would be no quality of life at all. If that ever happens, just pull the plug!" So she got up, unplugged the computer, and threw out my wine.

Brenda , Ed :Jacob 24 Alexandra 17 and two steps ~ Shawn 25 Nichole 24

SO turned husband March 2013

Next up ~ Halloween Horror Nights 2013 at Universal

F&W/FD for September 2012 with DD and SO who's a Disney virgin...this could be a dealbreaker

Celebrated my 50th with DD at Disneyland April 2011
PatsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

We went mid June and loved it. Probably got lucky on the weather (just barely topped 90 on ONE day) and the weekend crowds weren't as bad as a Tuesday at Six Flags. Yes, plenty of people, but never felt it was a hindrance. We love water parks, so we'd never consider going in Winter. First week of June when some kids are still in school would probably be ideal for us
Old 01-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #13
ChristmasElf
Will be packing TP in her purse if Sheryl Crow gets her way!

I can honestly say I have been to one park or another every single day of the year for the last way too many years!

January-Good, crowds lower since the Holidays are over, but the parks close early. Still most of the rides are walk ons with no wait times. Temps in the 53- 60's usually but some Januarys have been colder.

February-good until Presidents Day weekend when the crowds start up again for all the Spring Breaks. Weather usually sunny and temps in the mid-high 60's

March-busy with Spring Breakers and if Easter happens in March of that year-BUSY and temps in the mid 70's-low 80's

April-Busy if its around Easter-but late April not too bad as schools are still in session and Spring Breakers have all cleared out. Lovebugs start up. Temps starting to warm up to high 70's-mid 80's.

May-usually good for first week and a half. Mothers Day Sunday is busy for EPCOT. Orange county schools in session throughout May so not many locals during the week. (Sat and Sun-busy) Lovebugs start to diminish mid Mayish as it gets too hot for them.

June-Getting hotter, crowds building as schools are out in the southern states. End of June gets busy as the rest of the country's schools are out.
Lots of oversees visitors. Usually rains for about 15 minutes around 2:30 pm

July-HOT. Crowded espescially around July 4th. Parks open late. Rains for 15-20 minutes around 3 pm

August-Still HOT. Crowded especially first 2.5 weeks. Quiets down some as Florida schools start back up. Afternoon thunderstorms for 15-20 minutes

September-Labor day weekend is crowded. Temps cool off just slightly. Last two weeks of September not as crowded. But Hello Lovebug season! Rains each day but just for a few minutes usually and then 10 min later, sun back out as if it never happened.

October-Temps cool off to high 70's-low 80's usually. Fall decs are out, and most of England comes to visit! No rain usually

November-Christmas lights up. temps in the 70's, crowds heavy during Thanksgiving week. Dry season.

December- first 3 weeks are not busy at all. From around Dec 18th on it gets more crowded as people start coming in for Christmas holidays. Some Decembers are mild with temps in the low 70's and cooling down to the low 50's at night and then we have Decembers that are chilly.
ChristmasElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #14
Cannot_Wait_4Disney
Ok all you A cattle, get in the chute. Moooo. Moooo.
It has a kick. Otherwise, yummy yummy.
Onions rule!!!

Our favorites.
We like the first week in October the best on average. It's not terribly crowded, MNSSHP is neat. Love bug season is usually over or on the decline by then. Food and wine is going on. Columbus Day Weekend gets busy but the rest of the week is fine. The weather can be a bit warm and humid at times But other than that it's pretty good. December before the schools let out for Christmas is also good with all the Christmas decorations up. Weather can be an issue if you want to do a water park. Crowds are generally light as soon as Thanksgiving weekend is over.

Our least Favorites.
July. Crowded, hot, and humid. No thanks.
Christmas week. As crowded as it gets.
Spring Break. Very crowded And if Easter falls in March, it makes it even worse. I can certainly get around during these periods. But if I had a choice of another time to go, I'd go during those times.
Cannot_Wait_4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #15
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

DH and I have always gone in January. We love it, as it's so much nicer weather than what we left at home in Michigan. Most days we can wear shorts and t-shirts, then sometimes we change into jeans and sweatshirts for the evening if it's chilly. Crowds are minimal to non-existant in January so we do love that. Walk on rides, or maybe wait 5-10 minutes for the more popular ones.

I went once with my Mom in March and it was super crowded. I think it was probably spring break for a lot of kids.

Thinking about a September trip with our DD now, have heard it's HOT then but low crowds.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: