Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
danetter
DIS Veteran

Coronado Springs, POR or POFQ

We are making plans for our fall Disney trip. We have stayed values (Pop Century and ASMU) in the past and looking to stay in the moderates this fall. Its between Coronado Springs, POR and POFQ. Those of you that have stayed in either one of these which building do you prefer that is not prefered section but not so far away from everything? Also which one of these do you recommend over the other?

TIA

1986 - offsite, 1990 - offsite, Oct. 2008 - All Star Music,
Sept/Oct. 2009 - Pop Century, Sept. 2010 - Pop Century, Sept. 2011 - Pop Century, Sept. 2012 - All Star Music, Sept. 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
danetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

I dearly love POR - but these days it would be POFQ - POFQ is a much smaller resort than the others.

now it does not have a restaurant - food court yes - restaurant no - so you need to walk or boat to POR.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 02:05 AM   #3
ArmyVet80
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at POFQ (and will be again in Nov) and CSR. We really liked them both. The POFQ is quiet and relatively small compared to other resorts. It does not have an restaurant which has already been stated. The good news about that is you can take the boat to DTD and eat there which gives you variety or you can eat at the parks. The pool is nice after a day at the parks and there is a hot tub too. We stayed here for our honeymoon and they made it a very memorable week.

CSR has it's own qualities about it. There are quiet pools and the large pool (Dig Site) which is awesome. The lake around CSR is pretty nice to walk around and there are hammocks to lounge in. My wife and I got a bottle of wine from Germany during one of the many stops we made there and relaxed in a hammock one evening for a little bit. CSR is pretty decent sized though so you may have a little bit of a walk to your room. There is a convention center there too so you may run into conventioners. We were there while a convention was going on and heard the people sometimes but for the most part they were quiet.

Transportation was good from both resorts.

POFQ: June 2009
All-Star Music: Dec. 2010 thru Jan. 2011
CSR: Sept. 2012
POFQ: Nov. 2013
POFQ: Sept/Oct 2014

Last edited by ArmyVet80; 04-01-2013 at 08:32 AM.
ArmyVet80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:00 AM   #4
Sue M
DIS Veteran

My fav resort is POR in the mansion section, either Magnolia Terrace or Acadian House location close to Old Man Island Bridge, close to everything, main pool, quiet pool, main building, and Mansion bus stop just behind parking lot.
I love the landscaping & theming of POR, The boat to DTD, great food court, and evening entertainment.

POFQ is a close second. It too has a boat to DTD shared with POR, evening entertainment, and it's a small resort so there is no preferred location, they're all good. Although I really liked being in bldg 4 The theming is also nice here.

It's a personal pref, which theming appeals to you. For us, we did go look around CSR, and while we thought it looked ok, the POR theming appeals to us more. Many people love CSR too.

I don't think there are any wrong choices, just look at the resort pics and choose which theming you like.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Cold71
Mouseketeer

Stayed in Coronado Springs in Feb of 2011 and loved it. Had a water front view and a hammock less then 30 yards from the front of my hotel room door. Stocked my mini fridge with beer and bought up some nice cigars. Had an excellent time. Staying at POR in a few weeks so we will see how it compares. Only thing I've heard about POFQ is it's a lot less walking, although I'm 27 so that's not really something I take in to consideration when picking a hotel.
Cold71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

CSR have stayed 5 times and never disappointed!
Old 03-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
MassFamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danetter View Post
Those of you that have stayed in either one of these which building do you prefer that is not prefered section but not so far away from everything? Also which one of these do you recommend over the other?

TIA
Don't get your hopes up too much on the building you prefer, we requested the Aligator Bayou building closest to the restaurants, 18 months in advance. Turns out, which is understandable, that the determining factor is which rooms are available the day you check in, for the duration of your stay. When we got there we were set to be in the Mansions. The check in desk worked with us and we got into AB. We ended up in the building that was furthest walk from the restaurant, but still, after 10 hours of travel, with a 4.5 and 6 y.o. we made the walk in 7 minutes.

We probably less options as we needed adjoining rooms, so you may get closer to what you want. The room/building location did not affect our vacation.

Morale of the story, don't sweat room location.

MassFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
geraghty
Mouseketeer

If kids are under age six, POFQ. The pool is perfect for young kids, the property is small compared to the other resorts. The best part is you don't have to request a preferred room because they're all close. All the rooms at POFQ have a nice view so don't waist money on one. If older kids I would choose one of the other two.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
nkereina
Wendy Darling

At POR, we prefer the mansions but if you are booking a standard room, the mansion room inventory has been cut in half due to the Royal Rooms which occupies two entire mansions out of the four of them.

At CSR, Casitas or Cabanas are good locations with Cabanas being the closest. Stay away from Ranchos!

We like POFQ the least of the three. While it is small, easy to navigate, and you're never too far from anything, we found that it felt crowded since it was so small and hated the mad dash at the bus stop and the hunting for seats in the food court. I guess we like the resorts spread out so we see less people (or so it seems).
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:25 AM   #10
geraghty
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina
We like POFQ the least of the three. While it is small, easy to navigate, and you're never too far from anything, we found that it felt crowded since it was so small and hated the mad dash at the bus stop and the hunting for seats in the food court. I guess we like the resorts spread out so we see less people (or so it seems).
It's funny, we never had this problem, but we always took the first bus to the parks and came back midday to take breaks. Love using snack credits to get beignets (not sure I spelled correctly, but fabulous) in the morning. We did not eat a lot in the food court, but when we did, we had a place to sit. We were there Easter week last year.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraghty View Post
It's funny, we never had this problem, but we always took the first bus to the parks and came back midday to take breaks. Love using snack credits to get beignets (not sure I spelled correctly, but fabulous) in the morning. We did not eat a lot in the food court, but when we did, we had a place to sit. We were there Easter week last year.
I guess it just depends on someone uses the resort. With your touring style, I agree that POFQ is fine. With ours, the things I mentioned made POFQ not work well for us. Apparently we ate at busy breakfast times, which meant we had to eat in the lounge at POFQ since there were no tables, and the one bus stop meant craziness when a bus pulled up.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
Radiorox
Live from the city of Magic.

My fav from the three is POR. I always request Acadia house because it reminds me of a place in Palm Beach that we used to frequent when I was a kid. The walk from that area to the pool or the restaurants is not terrible and you have the boats to DTD. (Which on my last trip we NEVER were able to get on seeing as there was lightning in the area. )

CSR is my second favourite from the Mods. I was there in Feb and making another stay there in May. It's a very lovely resort, the themeing and general relaxing feel is excellent!

However, depending on what building you are in, the walk to the pool and the restaurants can be a nightmare. I got booked into Casitas and the walk to dining was not bad at all. I also was next to the gym and the quiet pool. However, for the main pool I had to go all the way around the lake which wasn't bad in upper 50s, low 60s temps but, in the full heat of summer.. ewwww!! I think this resort would be much better if they put a bridge or even a little ferry to take you to and from.

Stay away from Ranchos, while they are closer to the main pool, you are completely across the lake from the restaurants. Unless you want to feel more secluded.

When I book, my concern is usually the buses. I like to be close to transportation. Casitas 3 was the place for me.
Radiorox is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: