Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
Tuffcookie
Enjoys an early hour of peace
Women like the simple things in life...like men!:D
Is a smart cookie

Question Ladies...Do you like the skinny leg slacks?

I went shopping this afternoon for slacks (for work). I am 5-1, 125 lbs (working on losing 10-15 lbs. Being 59 my metabolism has slowed down. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! ) Anyway, every rack I looked at, had slacks that stated "slimming" on the tag. However they also had skinny legs. I don't care for those skinny leg pants and wondered if any other petite women have the same problem? If I wear a tunic top or longer length sweater with them (the leggings look), it makes me look even shorter and heavier. I imagine if you are tall and thin skinny leg slacks would work.

TC
Old 01-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
mjantz
DIS Veteran

I am tall but not skinny & I like skinny pants. Like you I wear them with a tunic. I only wear them with tall boots. The boots seem to balance out my top half so I don't look quite so much like an ice cream cone.
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

I am tall and curvy and I can't pull off skinny jeans. Just don't look right on me.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Yes, I do like them! I'm just now getting into maternity things, and finding that the traditional maternity jeans fit so bulky! I found some skinny ones at motherhood and I'm happy thus far.

My own mother wears them too.

I've been BOO'ed by GoofyinToronto!
pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
si-am
DIS Veteran

Yes, I like them when I can find some that fit. I am tall and thin and they look great at first, but I haven't found a pair that don't start stretching out within a few hours, and I constantly feel like I'm pulling them up all day. For this reason, I prefer leggings, but they of course aren't appropriate for work...
Old 01-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
ZachnElli
Is it Spring yet?
Bad weather or not, you need more than 4 boxes

I'm only 5'3" and I love them. I didn't like the huge bell bottoms of a few years ago. I have small calves and was always tripping over all that material with the bell bottoms. And I have to say , being petite myself, that 125 is a good weight! Don't beat yourself up!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
bdcp
DIS Veteran

I'm not tall nor am I skinny anymore. But, the fact is, even when I was 16 and weighed 98 lbs I couldn't have worn them. I have never had skinny legs. I had athletic muscular shapely legs that now in my 50's are still muscular and shapely, but still not thin. Not everyone can wear skinny jeans and I've just about had it in stores. Every pair of jeans is skinny or something similar. I'm curvy and proud of it. When I was 20 I could have easily worn a size 2 or 4, but never in skinny jeans. It's genetics.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
Pikester
DIS Veteran

I do not like them at all! And for some reason JCP has decided that these are the only jeans they are going to carry. Wait, I did find a pair of jeans that worked for me there but alas they had no front pockets. It looked like they did but when I tried to put my hands in them there was no opening. Oh and many of the jeans that I did kind of like had so many beads and jewels on the back pockets I looked like I'd been attacked by the Masked Bejeweler.

Now I shop at Kohls.

I remember seeing a story on the evening news about skinny jeans last week. Something about how they cause circulation problems.

Pikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Tuffcookie
Enjoys an early hour of peace
Women like the simple things in life...like men!:D
Is a smart cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcp View Post
I'm not tall nor am I skinny anymore. But, the fact is, even when I was 16 and weighed 98 lbs I couldn't have worn them. I have never had skinny legs. I had athletic muscular shapely legs that now in my 50's are still muscular and shapely, but still not thin. Not everyone can wear skinny jeans and I've just about had it in stores. Every pair of jeans is skinny or something similar. I'm curvy and proud of it. When I was 20 I could have easily worn a size 2 or 4, but never in skinny jeans. It's genetics.
This is my problem area. For being so petite, my legs and calves are big. I have trouble finding a pair of boots too.

TC
Old 01-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
februarydisgoer
Earning My Ears

I'm 5'6" and plus size, but my legs are very thin. I love skinny leg pants. With even normal jeans or dress pants, my legs are lost in them. In fact, I have on a pair of jeggings from Maurices right now and they fit the way normal jeans should in the legs. Thankfully, the Maurices jeggings have pockets like regular jeans, button and zip, so they don't look cheap or ridiculous on me. LOL
februarydisgoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

I really like the look of skinny leg pants..worn on the right body type and worn properly for ages...I dont like seeing any adult try and dress like a teenager...but I do think they can be worn by any age, but not for example an adult with thigh high boots KWIM...
so, if you are comfortable wearing them and they fit you correctly go for it, otherwise find a wider pant leg which usually flatters most people by making the shoulder to hip proportion looks better....
when I think of skinny leg pants I always think of audrey hepburn and how classy she always looked. Sadly, just because something is made in Every size, it does not mean every size should wear it.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #12
Tazicket
I routinely walk into 1 certain wall at home
Loved by a Pirate Penguin
ACK! I wouldn't ever eat a Mystery Peep!! That's crazy!

I'm average height and curvy and so cannot pull off the skinny jeans/pants look. I wind up looking ridiculous. I stick to straight legs because I find they balance out my curves much better.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
IDoDis
Knows the password to get into the Water Buffalo Lodge

I'm 5'1", in my late 40s, and weigh 118 pounds on a good day. I like the skinny jeans, but not the jegging kind that are super skinny. My DD talked me into trying on a pair a couple of years ago at Old Navy and really liked them. They do have a nice slimming effect.

I think they work for petite people moreso than for someone who is on the taller side. I wear them with flats (no socks) which works so much better than wearing flats with jeans that have a wider bottom. I also wear them with my Ugg boots when it is too cold outside to wear flats. I have some jeans that have a flared bottom that I wear with a medium-heeled boot. If I am going to wear sneakers, I prefer the normal non-skinny, non-flared jeans. I do think the skinny jeans take 10 pounds off. For us shorties, 5 pounds looks like 10 pounds on someone taller.
Disney World ~ Pop Century, May '06
Disney World ~Windsor Hills, May '08
Disney World ~Wilderness Lodge, June '09
Disneyland ~ Offsite, Oct '10
Disney World ~ Boardwalk Inn, June '12

Last edited by IDoDis; 01-06-2013 at 11:03 PM.
IDoDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
cybrkitn
We called it Bonko
I loved climbing trees
Don't apply for a job there! DUH!!!!!
Dork/geeky or just plain scary. You be the judge

I love them! I can't stand the other types. I'm 5'4" and for me, the skinny legs are hard to find in dress pants. Especially in any size over a 12 or 14 petite.

I have been losing weight since last October and have lost 14 pounds so far. Even my current skinny Rockstar jeans from Old navy in a size 16 are starting to look loose on me (as of today)

One thing I forgot to mention - I'm 41 and am of the generation that wore skinny jeans and dress pants (with a tapered leg) as a teenager. I never stopped liking them.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff." The Doctor
cybrkitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #15
cybrkitn
We called it Bonko
I loved climbing trees
Don't apply for a job there! DUH!!!!!
Dork/geeky or just plain scary. You be the judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikester View Post
I do not like them at all! And for some reason JCP has decided that these are the only jeans they are going to carry. Wait, I did find a pair of jeans that worked for me there but alas they had no front pockets. It looked like they did but when I tried to put my hands in them there was no opening. Oh and many of the jeans that I did kind of like had so many beads and jewels on the back pockets I looked like I'd been attacked by the Masked Bejeweler.

Now I shop at Kohls.

I remember seeing a story on the evening news about skinny jeans last week. Something about how they cause circulation problems.
That's unusual. When I was there about a month or so ago, I found the skinny jeans very hard to find in the petite or misses departments. They are all over the place in the Jr. department though.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff." The Doctor
cybrkitn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: