Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #16
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2mm View Post
this could well be the best question ever.

I kid you not,my dd and I are whiter than white- we are true English roses!
a doctor was examining dd once and commented on how she was almost translucent!
and we don't tan- at all- even in wdw in August.

true story,me and dd were waiting for dh and ds in dhs.
a lady came over to us,asked if we were English,and said she knew it,as we were so pale- it was day 10 of our vacation.
Every once in a while, some random person will ask if I'm English...Now I get it.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy13d69 View Post
Every once in a while, some random person will ask if I'm English...Now I get it.
welcome to our white world,lol!

we play a little game on vacation,if anyone else is ghostly like us- we dont spot many!
married2mm is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #18
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

I'm part Italian and the only thing I was bless with from that is greasiness and too much hair in spots I don't care to have any, lol. The German and Irish in me took over and I'm pale-ish. My husband has Indian in him and tans really well so he always has something to say about my q-tip legs in the summer, lol. I don't care....I'm Caucasian I tell him, get over it, lol. At Disney (or any other time), I don't care about my color!
DS~2
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #19
Amyz00
Now I feel like
Once you are seated, that's it, no more interaction
Pictures and old videos aren't just doing it for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosadaGirl519
I'm a ginger! I just reflect sunlight. I find Disney to be the one place I don't have to care about my appearance. I love when people mock my crocs but end up miserable because their trendy shoes crippled them or their feet are sopping wet. It's Disney!!!! Who cares what you look like??!?!?!
I feel the same way! I'm a ginger with pale, freckled skin who loves wearing my Crocs to WDW - especially on those wet rides!
ASMuFS - 7/2009

Amyz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #20
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2mm View Post
welcome to our white world,lol!

we play a little game on vacation,if anyone else is ghostly like us- we dont spot many!
There are a few of us. I have many in my family. We are of Irish and Nordic decent.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #21
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by klitteral2009 View Post
So I'm sitting here, less than two weeks away from our MAGICAL WDW vaycay...and I'm wondering how foolish I may look swimming. I know its honestly far too early to tell, but from what I see on the weather channel website, the weather is looking plesant and warm. I would like to get in the pool with my kids but I GLOW in the dark. I'm not a fan of tanning beds at all so my color, when I have any, comes in the summer when I'm outside. Living in Kentucky, we haven't seen outside sunny weather in months! I guess my vain question is, how white have you seen people around the pool?? I know it sounds so crazy but its an honest concern of mine lol
My DW is the self-confessed "whitest woman in America" and to be honest, she is so white she's practically a stick of chalk! Don't worry about it, just enjoy it, because trust me you'll see many other people who are as white if not whiter than you are.

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #22
sachilles
Mouseketeer

Not a big deal. Pale is the new tan. Go swim and have fun. I work at a resort in the frozen tundra. We have a hyper heated pool that folks love to use despite it being surrounded by snow four months out the year. It's chilly when you get out, but you don't lounge around in the winter months. Bright red sunburns might generate a snicker or a sympathetic look though, so if you don't want the attention, go with sunblock. Have fun.
sachilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #23
scooffer
Mouseketeer

I love this question! I felt the same way on my last trip... then got to the pool. It was so heartwarming to see all shades, all sizes, and all walks of life in one place with the same agenda... just having a good time!

The next day, I wore socks with my crocs (oh my!) That's how comfortable I was then and there that NO ONE cared!!

April 2014 - Family Gathering Lake Buena Vista Village and Spa 7 adults 5 kids
April 2013 - Wilderness Lodge
April 2012 - Port Of Orleans French Quarter (perfect in every way!)
May 2011 - Cypress Pointe Grande Villas (loved it!)
scooffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #24
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

My husband always takes the kids to the pool and he is so white he glows!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #25
DarthMama
Mouseketeer

Don't worry about it -- I'm fish-belly white & I love to swim, so I say go for it! Besides, you'll be having so much fun you won't care what anyone else thinks.
DarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #26
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids4karen View Post
If anyone stares it is not because you are pale white. We Floridians are use to seeing white tourist from "non-sunny" locations. I am pale white and live in Florida.

You will probably get more stares from just swimming this time of year. I woke up in my Tampa home freezing today. All the kids were cold too so we had to turn the heat up!

We don't swim this time of year, even in heated pools because you are still breathing in the cold air and freezing when you get out of the pool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemurr View Post
and took a few "informal" polls when we saw people in the pool. (We didn't.. but a few days we would have considered warm enough.)

ALL NORTHERNERS. Guess we grow a thicker skin up here. Sad when 50 feels like summer.
Yep. The usual standard is that the air temp has to be mid-80's before a Floridian will swim; if it is any cooler than that, residents will look at you like you must have a death wish. The concept of wearing a warm robe or warm-up clothes to the heated pool and then undressing to get directly into the water is pretty alien in Florida.

When it comes to the beaches, you won't see natives swimming until the avg. water temp hits about 82F, even if the air temp is well over that at the time. Most Floridians consider any of the beaches north of Ft. Myers to be "surf-fishing-and-sand-play-only" from late-October thru mid-April.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #27
BiancaBernard&Penny
Returning to "Earning My Ears" after all these years

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula

Yep. The usual standard is that the air temp has to be mid-80's before a Floridian will swim; if it is any cooler than that, residents will look at you like you must have a death wish. The concept of wearing a warm robe or warm-up clothes to the heated pool and then undressing to get directly into the water is pretty alien in Florida.

When it comes to the beaches, you won't see natives swimming until the avg. water temp hits about 82F, even if the air temp is well over that at the time. Most Floridians consider any of the beaches north of Ft. Myers to be "surf-fishing-and-sand-play-only" from late-October thru mid-April.
I must be a native Floridian! Lol.

CBR- Sept 1997
CBR- Sept 17-24, 2001
CSR- May 13-20, 2008 ptr- http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2166836

Debating on a trip this year with 4 year old "Penny" and a 12 year old, too!
BiancaBernard&Penny is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: