Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

If the vendor says there was a glitch and it is the vendor's system then I say the customer is always right.
Avoid getting a lemon. The used car should test drive perfectly. Any roughness or hesitation and you should reject it and walk away. Don't accept excuses. Avoid becoming a battered spouse. Your fiance(e) should behave perfectly. Any roughness or outbursts and you should break up for good. Don't accept promises.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #17
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee2u View Post
Another problem - while they had me choose and enter a PIN upon checkin, the PIN was never required when I purchased anything. Kind of defeats the purpose.
Just a question to help understand, did you buy anything over $50 if not then a pin isn't required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashoreCM View Post
If the vendor says there was a glitch and it is the vendor's system then I say the customer is always right.
Right and since this would cost Disney money there is motivation for them to fix it. Disney would have to eat the loss.

I think the OP is being a bit alarmist. If they and other trainees reported this, you did didn't you OP, then this goes a long way to fixing it. Also, being in IT you can have people being trained while you fix and improve your POS system. So I don't have my head in the sand about this but know when a company has an issue that will lose them money they do address it and Disney doesn't want to lose money.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #18
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
POS software fixes don't just roll out the same day as the bug report Give them a bit.
Id imagine there was almost certainly a change embargo on all IT systems and especially POS over the last few weeks whilst the resort was at its busiest.
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #19
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydweller View Post
Right and since this would cost Disney money there is motivation for them to fix it. Disney would have to eat the loss.
Ah, but the question is...which is less...fixing the issue or just paying for the errors? Disney's first response to a customer complaint is to refund their money or points rather then fix the issue... I have never and will never put charging abilities on my room. So it is a non-issue for me but find it interesting, especially since they have already acknowledged a security issue with the RFID by not using RFID enabled access cards to sensitive areas... Thanks for posting this Rusty.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #20
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

FYI, wdwmagic.com already reports they are applying the PIN code requirement to all purchases. So there has already been one "fix".
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #21
wmson2000
Mickey loves me (and my wallet)

Even without the pin code solution, with RFID technology (or NFC) it seems like if the wearer of the wristband stepped too far from the POS terminal, it would beep, or flash a warning onscreen, or lockout additional purchases?

DISDad #616

Disneyland - New Years 2009, 1989
Disney World - 2014 (7 weeks in the Orlando area), 2013 (5 weeks in the Orlando area), 2012,2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1995, 1994, 1993
wmson2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #22
bltman
Earning My Ears

Great Wolf Lodge (at least the one in Niagara Falls) requires you to sign the receipt after they scan your bracelet to make a purchase. I found this to be a clumsy implementation but it does reduce the posibility of getting charged for something you didn't buy.
bltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #23
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmson2000 View Post
Even without the pin code solution, with RFID technology (or NFC) it seems like if the wearer of the wristband stepped too far from the POS terminal, it would beep, or flash a warning onscreen, or lockout additional purchases?
The range is quite limited, really. Near contact is required. I don't think you want to stand there with your wrist against the sensor for the whole transaction.

But Like I've said. It should end with that transaction. There is NO REASON why it should carry over. If you suddenly say, "Oh, give me that thing right there too...", well, just scan again.

To do otherwise is just asking for the exact problem they are seeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltman View Post
Great Wolf Lodge (at least the one in Niagara Falls) requires you to sign the receipt after they scan your bracelet to make a purchase. I found this to be a clumsy implementation but it does reduce the posibility of getting charged for something you didn't buy.
That's generally true for RFID and even old-fashioned credit card purchases...except credit card issuers allow vendors a certain degree of latitude to not require it.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #24
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the heads-up!

I'm sorry if I'm not as informed as I should be but I've tried to do some research on the RFID bands and it seems like it won't be up and running at WDW until the Spring - is that correct?

We'll be there at the end of January and would love to try them out.
loveshak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #25
DIS Veteran

Some things will be phasing from now until early 2014.
11290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #26
EeyoreFan1
You make me smile so much my cheeks hurt
I'm really hot natured, so...
Proud daughter of a Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshak22 View Post
Thanks for the heads-up!

I'm sorry if I'm not as informed as I should be but I've tried to do some research on the RFID bands and it seems like it won't be up and running at WDW until the Spring - is that correct?

We'll be there at the end of January and would love to try them out.
I can almost guarantee that you will not get to use the bands just yet. Sorry! Soon enough!

Also, I was just briefed on some of the issues that Rusty talked about. I spent several hours with one of the designers who came and talked to us about the Clear Folio and everything like that. Disney is very aware of the problem and has been working to fix it ASAP from what I have heard!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #27
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeyoreFan1 View Post
I can almost guarantee that you will not get to use the bands just yet. Sorry! Soon enough!

Also, I was just briefed on some of the issues that Rusty talked about. I spent several hours with one of the designers who came and talked to us about the Clear Folio and everything like that. Disney is very aware of the problem and has been working to fix it ASAP from what I have heard!
Well too bad but thanks for the info! I was hoping they'd have the RFID system in place and somehow have some magic rapid construction done so that the seven dwarfs ride would be open early for us in late January too
loveshak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #28
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
. . . make sure the register person depresses the Clear Folio button
It's not up to the customer to tell the cashier how to do his job. Most customers won't know about the Clear Folio requirement. Many of the few who do won't remember to mention it.

Hitting total should automatically also clear folio. Disney will be spending a lot of $$$ responding to credit card charge back if this isn't fixed. Disney may wind up spending a lot of $$$ having to back track and issue refunds to customers who don't even ask after the issue is made public.

Absolutely no way the system will go live until this is corrected.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #29
Frontier Girl
Basically Magical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
It's not up to the customer to tell the cashier how to do his job. Most customers won't know about the Clear Folio requirement. Many of the few who do won't remember to mention it.
But you know as customers with prior knowledge, we always do, and the veteran cashiers know this too.. like when a guest is having trouble getting their discount to go through and the CM tells them the code number so that they can tell the next brand new CP or out-for-the-past-6 months CM what the code is without calling for help.

I just did the same thing with Starbucks baristas who couldn't figure out the new free refill mug! It's code 775 but I think everyone knows this by now!

That POS system always rolls out with bizarre out-of-place processes, this close folio thing doesn't surprise me.

Frontier Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #30
Bee2u
ImJustBeeNme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydweller View Post
Just a question to help understand, did you buy anything over $50 if not then a pin isn't required.
Yes, twice my purchases were more than $50 and I never had to use my PIN.

My WDW trips: July 1972; Summer 1980; Honeymoon - June 28th - July 2, 1986; Summer 1999; March 2000 (kids sang @ Magical Music Days); Our 25th Anniv. - June 24 - 28th, 2011 WL; Nov. 20 - 24, 2012 POR; 2013: Jan. 2 - 5 WL (My first Solo trip); Jan. 26 - 29 WL; birthday trip: Apr. 5 - 8 BC; June 3 - 8 WL; First trip to DLR July 5 - 7,; Sept. 19 - 22 WL; Nov. 23 - 29 POR; Dec. 6 - 9 CS; 2014: Feb. 1 - 3 Poly; Mar. 8 - 12 AoA; Apr. 3 - 7 POR; June 3 - 10 POR, WL; July 31 - Aug. 3 Disney Dream; Aug. 3 - 5 Poly; Aug. 22 - 24 BW; Sept 12 - 14 WL
Bee2u is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: