Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
ShannonRT
DIS Veteran

Going to court to finalize divorce...what to expect???

My divorce will be final Thursday. We did not use lawyers as we were amicable and able to agree on everything so I will be going to court by myself. I've never been to court for anything EVER and I'm very nervous and don't know what to expect. I live in TN. Anyone with similar experience?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
wencherous
Mouseketeer

I don't know what the divorce laws are in your state but when I was divorced I had to take the stand where the judge asked a few questions (name, whether we had attempted reconciliation/any chance of reconciliation, just simple stuff) then signed the paperwork. It took 5 minutes and it was done. My ex wasn't even there, it was, like yours, a simple divorce.
You may be able to get a basic rundown from the court clerk.
wencherous is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
denisenh
All I can do is lie down
It has a thing hanging off the end
When i get the urge to show off, a tiny voice inside my head says "resist the urge". So i shut my mouth and stand still.

never divorced but i have heard this finalization referred to as anticlimactic
i guess you needn't worry.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
apirateslifeforme
The Next Mrs. Simon LeBon
On a serious note, I have to agree with the pantyhose and buttfloss
Rare. Bloody rare. Still mooing

When my ex and I divorced amicably in 2007, we did it ourselves. We had not shared property, no children, nothing. The actual hearing (in CT) was very easy, except for the fact that we were called last and had to sit through all the others that weren't so amicable. We were in that stupid courtroom for about 4 hours! When it was finally our turn, though, my ex was the one who went up next to the judge (as the petitioner) and I sat at the counsel table. The judge asked him a few questions, then me, then gave the official statement for the record. Literally took about 2-3 minutes.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
cglaura
I still love the smell of Love's Baby Soft

Quote:
Originally Posted by wencherous View Post
I don't know what the divorce laws are in your state but when I was divorced I had to take the stand where the judge asked a few questions (name, whether we had attempted reconciliation/any chance of reconciliation, just simple stuff) then signed the paperwork. It took 5 minutes and it was done. My ex wasn't even there, it was, like yours, a simple divorce.
You may be able to get a basic rundown from the court clerk.
I'm in NJ, and this is about the same as I experienced.

I remember thinking it was all so swift, matter of fact, and over in a blink. I think it took longer for us to get the marriage license

The hardest thing about having a plant-based only lifestyle is waking up at 5am to milk the almonds

************************************************** ****************************************

The pessimist complains about the wind... The optimist expects it to change... The realist adjusts the sails.

************************************************** ****************************************

A clever person turns great troubles into little ones... and little ones into none at all.

cglaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
PeterPanic
DIS Veteran

Unhappy

I didn't go to the finalize Divorce hearing. I felt no need. My X had initiated the Divorce, I didn't contest it, we had used lawyers and had all the agreements in writing.

I don't know what happened but I don't think it was anymore then just the shuffling of paperwork and if there were any questions I'm sure they weren't very significant. You don't get that far in a divorce and still have any reason to try and stop it.

Now if there are child support issues or some type of off the wall support agreements, then being there may protect your rights and since you said you didn't use lawyers, it would be a very good idea to be there just to be sure that something isn't slid in there without your knowledge. If there are no challenges, it is over quick, if not pain free.

My family told me I should go so that I could have "closure". I had all the closure I needed when she walked out, but try telling them that.
PeterPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
shortbun
Peacenik

My sister and her ex did their's themselves too. They stood in front of the 'judge' and agreed they wanted it. They held hands. The 'judge' questioned them pretty thoroughly because it was obvious they were still so close. They are both remarried and happy. Don't worry. No one is going to hassle you. Have a great day!

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
ShannonRT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbun
My sister and her ex did their's themselves too. They stood in front of the 'judge' and agreed they wanted it. They held hands. The 'judge' questioned them pretty thoroughly because it was obvious they were still so close. They are both remarried and happy. Don't worry. No one is going to hassle you. Have a great day!
They held hands??? That's a little strange!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: