Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

Job Interviews

So stressful!
Of course, the career I want to get into is also tough. (Sports Marketing)
I've been applying for internships. I had an interview with a AAA baseball team, but ended up coming in 2nd place.
Had a phone interview a few weeks ago for a Big time racetrack. Will hear back at the end of this month.

Had another interview at the track today for a different position.

I guess it means something that I am getting interviews?
Old 01-09-2013, 04:58 AM   #2
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

It means a LOT that you're getting interviews in a tight economy. It means that you have a strong resume and a cover letter that leaves the reader wanting to meet you.

I've always enjoyed interviews, on either side. (Yeah, I know. But I also really enjoy teaching high school math, so I'm probably not the typical person here in either respect.) I've always thought of them as a cocktail party, minus the glass of wine and the pigs-in-blankets. They've given me the opportunity to talk about a subject I really enjoy: teaching.

One thing I've learned over the years: too many people focus their job search on why the job is right for THEM. When I was conducting interviews, that's not what I was looking for-- I wanted to know why YOU were good for the job.

So, for example, a candidate would say that she's always wanted to teach in a school like mine. NOT what I'm looking for. Instead, it would have been better to tell me what about your teaching will benefit our kids. It can be a fine distinction, but it's an incredibly important one. Sure, you want that fictional "dream job." But as the one doing the interviewing, I'm looking for the "dream candidate." Your job at the interview is to prove to me that you're that "dream candidate." Once you get the offer, you can determine whether or not we're your dream job.

Anyway, hang in there. The fact that you're getting those interviews mean you ARE a strong candidate. Fingers crossed for you on the 2 pending jobs.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club A change in plans...trying the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

I agree with Alice, getting the interview is the hardest part. I've found over the years that there are 2 really important things to an interview, one, make eye contact and pay attention, and two, relate your skills back to the how they can benefit the company. You'd be amazed at how many people aren't able to do either of those two things.

Everyone spends so much time focused on how to answer the "Where do you see yourself?" or other generic questions that they forget the real purpose for the interview, give your interviewer enough information about you to determine that you're the right candidate for the job.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

2 tips - tell them why YOU are the best person for the job, what you cans do for them that no one else can

Give real life examples to how you handled situations. Even if they ask you how you would handle something, follow up with an example of when you actually did it. People can talk a big game. Employers want to see results.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: