Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
Kim&Chris
dreaming of relaxing & soaking up the warm sun at Serenity Bay....

Anyone own a Sleep Number bed?

We bought a new pillow top mattress/box spring about 4 years ago, and already there's a "hill" in the center of it.

We've both been having trouble sleeping lately, and we're waking up with back aches too often. I think it's time we took the plunge and bought a Sleep Number bed.

Do you think they're worth the money? Do you need special sheets, or can you use regular sheets?

Someone mentioned that these beds are tough to get warm in. (in other words, the beds are always cold & it's difficult to warm-up). I've heard the exact opposite about Tempurpedic mattresses.

Choices, choices......
Kim&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

I did until about six months ago. I had it for eight years and never really liked it. My daughter still has one.

My problem was the dip in the center between the two air bladders. No matter how I set the two sides, I would always roll to the dip in the middle. Hated it. My daughter says she has the same problem.
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Belle0101
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

We don't have one but I know 2 people that have / had one.

My mom had one, queen size. I use had because when she moved to a new home she sold it. I forget how long she owned it but I recall that she never really liked it.

I have a friend who still has one, king size. Neither she nor her husband like it. She has said they regret buying it.
Belle0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

I have one and love it! We bought a queen size pillow top and never have issues that others have complained about, the ridge in the middle. It's not an issue for us. I don't think I'll ever go back to a regular mattress.
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon
*8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 MarathonGoing Coast to Coast
cepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
Dancind
Tinkerbell's Mom
just full of pass questions
Onward and Downward!

We've owned a couple for over 20 years now. Have slept in some very nice beds at different resorts, but always happy to get home to our Select Comfort.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
Hoodie
Going to BC and GF with one week's planning
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

My brother has had 3 - in about a 3 month period.

First one arrived and was completely broken. Neither side would "adjust"...it just sank. It took about 2 weeks of dealing with customer service before they got a replacement (sleeping on the couch the whole time because they had removed the old mattress.) Replacement came and after about 6 weeks one side collapsed. At this point they only wanted their money back but were refused - only offered another replacement. (again after a couple of weeks on the couch).

They still have the second replacement but between the horrendous customer service and questionable product quality, they regret it. I know they'd never get another and always warn people about it.
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
fly girl
DIS Veteran

I invested in a Sleep Number bed is past April. Went through the trial period and couldn't get comfortable. Sleep Number wanted me to be happy so they extended the trial adding 60 additional days and helping my dh and I find our true sleep number. Still didn't work, it was returned. We lost $150 on cost if picking it up but better than losing thousands for a bed we didn't like. Returning it was a hassle, I had to be persistent and go through several phone calls.

On the other hand, I have family and friends who LOVE theirs and couldn't imagine sleeping on anything else.

IMHO, you either love 'em or hate 'em. Not too many in betweens.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
FlyingBelle
Official Tag Fairy Underwear Designer
"MacGyver's" her bras with duct tape and toilet paper
Frutty Pebbles doesn't taste the same with ranch dressing!

We've had ours for a little over 5 years now. King size. Love it!

There is a ridge in between the two sides, which makes sleeping in the middle a little challenging, but other than that - it's fantastic.

My parents have a queen sized and love it, but they added a pillow top to it - they like it extra soft.
Many times as a child | Fort Wilderness Campground 1996 | Off-Property Mar 1999 | CS May 1999 | ASSp Aug 1999 | Dixie Landings Jan 2000 | Dixie Landings Feb 2001| WL Feb 2002 | Disney Wonder Cruise Jan 2003 | WL Sep 2004 | Swan Feb 2005 |WL Oct 2005 | POR - Aug 2006 | WLV - Jan/Feb 2007 | WL Family Trip - Sep 2008! Bella's first trip to Disney! | Buena Vista Suites - Dec 08 | Disneyland - Nov 2009 | Disneyland - June 2010 | POP - July 2010 Disneyland - October 2010 | ASMu & Disney Wonder December 2010 | ASMu Jan 2011| Disneyland Sept 2011 | ASMu Jan 2012 | No Kids Trip! Pirate room at CB - Mar 2012| Disneyland - April 2012| Disneyland - July 2012| Disneyland - August 2012 | ASSp - September 2012| Disney Dream 3 night cruise - Nov 2012 | Split-Stay: AKL - Feb 2014/ASMo - March 2014
FlyingBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
Tinkerdreams
DIS Veteran

Have had my sleep number for about 8 years. I do like it a lot and sleep very well.

However... just bought an Icomfort bed by Serta (similar to temperpedic) for my daughter and wow, very comfortable. I've decided that when I replace my sleep number bed, I'm going with Icomfort.

The Icomfort has a gell layer to keep the bed from getting too warm - that is the main complaint for the temperpediac beds.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
wdwmom2
It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
Hopefully the Disney magic will kick in
my co-workers made me bath in Scope mouth wash
Fractured Prune is like donut Heaven

I have had one for just under 10 years. Love it!!

No special sheets, looks like a regular pillowtop mattress. I do have a 4 inch memory foam on top. Normal sheets still fit fine. I like to feel like I am sleeping on a cloud

I used to set mine around 35, but I started having back issues. I bumped it up to 65 and haven't had that issue since!

wdwmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
hoosll
DIS Veteran

We got one first on our Rv 2 years ago and that convinced us to get one to replace our 20+ year old mattress at home. I just love it; it took me almost 4 years to sleep comfortable on the old mattress. Also I think when you cross 50 years old it is very hard to find a mattress that 2 people can agree is comfortable.

We easily found our sleep number and about a year later had it confirmed at a store.

We placed ours on the old foundation, not springs, and it has worked fine. My sheets fit fine, I did not buy sleep number sheets, in fact after straining over the old mattress, it is so nice that they fit confortably.
WL - Feb '02; WL - Sep '03 Big Willie's B-day
WL- Dec '04 MY B-day
WL - Nov '06 - Big Willie retires
BWV - Nov '07 Midweek long weekend
WL - Apr '12 Me, DD, and DGS4, DGS2 -their 1st trip!
FW - Dec '12 First time in RV; Feb '13 Midwinter escape
WL - Feb '15 (may cancel due to FP+)
hoosll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #12
BigPumba
Earning My Ears

Have had one for years and love it its a queen size and uses regular sheets
BigPumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #13
TiggerTails57
FIL is still waiting for his My Little Pony cake

Love our P5 sleep number bed.........no more motion from DH, I could always feel him roll over on a regular mattress.
TiggerTails57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #14
bdcp
DIS Veteran

We've had one for about 5 years (king size). We love it. I never wake up with back aches or "asleep" body parts anymore. My parents and sister and bil got theirs first. We bought one of the top of the line that comes with the cover that keeps the temp comfy. DH jokes about my side because I have my number set at 35. His is 55. I snuggle down in my hole and sleep really well.

The bed and our bamboo sheets are so comfy.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

We've had ours around 8 or 9 years and like it a lot. Never had any problems with it and it has been disassembled and moved cross country a couple of times.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: