Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #76
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

As far as the subject matter goes...

I won't say which is better or talk about pixels or noise or whatever. All of those are so subjective, and it wouldn't stop me from using any of them. I am definitely not a pixel peeper, just someone who strives to take good pics with a convenient tool that is there when I need it and works best for me. I do not like to be without a camera with me at all. I hate that feeling...

So I'll just say how it works for me.

I have two dSLRs, a mirrorless, a point and shoot and an iPhone5. Previously I had an iPhone 3GS but recently upgraded to a 5.

Lately I've been having a ton of fun with the iPhone 5. (The 3GS IMO was pretty bad, but the 5 I find pretty good.) I love how convenient it is and to me, it takes decent pictures and video, too.

Although I always loved that camera (Canon S3IS), I haven't used the point and shoot in probably over a year or more. I'd have to blow the dust off it. For years I carried one in my purse and in fact, it got so beat up I had to buy another. But now it just seems unnecessarily big and bulky for me to carry all the time. Same goes for the backup (ie older) dSLR - don't remember the last time I used it. (Actually, a friend had it for months.)

I used the mirrorless a lot last summer, and a bit in the fall. And I had an outing with the (newer) dSLR and 50-200 over New Years which was very enjoyable and fruitful, lol. Man, I love that camera and lens - they'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands if they tried to take it away from me.

Looking forward, I can tell I'll be using the iPhone a lot for everyday snapshots, the dSLR for sports and serious photography, and probably the mirrorless for video and perhaps something in between the iphone and the dSLR, for example during times I need more reach yet still want something portable. Also my DH often uses that even when I have the dSLR.

I also agree that many of the iPhone shots are primarily for social networking and may be pretty bad if put under a microscope, especially in low light. The flash doesn't bother me - in fact the 3GS had no flash so it was definitely missed. I've gotten some really nice pics of my kids using the flash, so I'm not sure I'd say it's unreasonably harsh. To me, many photos come out better using the flash than not, so I do use it a lot. I have softened it on occasion using a tissue, but that's a little trickier on a phone than it is on another type of camera, IME. Getting shots with movement stinks. It just can't focus that fast, and you get blur. But like with other cameras, still life in low light can be improved with know how, although noise can be quite noticable. Still not a deal breaker.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #77
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
Thanks to those who posted the link to the previous thread.

Sticking my neck out here, but hopefully it's worth it....

I think trouble brews around here when people vehemently state opinions as facts. Or try to persuade others to their way of thinking when others have different views, experiences and understandings.

The worst is when people assume others are stupid because they made different choices. Especially about brands, and as of late, types of cameras.

There are so many aspects of photography. Different things are important to different people. It's so individual...

It hasn't been often that it has happened here, but it seems to be happening more lately. I've wondered why some posters have left the forum and have been told firsthand that this is the reason.

Sad. Because we should be able to discuss things without arguing and to show some sensitivity when others have a different opinion. Sometimes you just have to let it go if it's becoming intense or personal.

I mean, informational discussions are one thing. But arguments are another.

This is a great, friendly forum for information. Let's strive to keep it that way.
Great post Pea-n-me and much of what I was trying to say a few posts earlier, but you stated it much better.

It may just seems like it, but peoples have become far more polarized over the last few years and with some people get very upset if you dare have an opinion different than theirs. Over the holidays my mother begged me not to participate in any political talk with my relatives (which they always bring up), because she was afraid that I would upset them because my views were different (very different) than theirs.

As far as this board goes, I think most people have a different opinion of what it is, or should be. I've only been back on it a little over a week, but during that time I've resized that, it is much more than just a photography at Disney board.

It's to bad to hear that some of the long time posters have left because of this. I've noticed a similar trend on some other boards I visit. It only takes a few bad posters (nobody on this thread) to have such a negative impact on a board.

Quote:
I think trouble brews around here when people vehemently state opinions as facts. Or try to persuade others to their way of thinking when others have different views, experiences and understandings.
Another great point! It should be common knowledge that my opinions are the only ones that are fact and anyone who thinks differently is wrong
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #78
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #79
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post

One of the problems with discussion boards is that it can be easy to misinterpret what someone writes and discussions can easily get hijacked.
Amen.

As I hijack the thread. LOL

I love a good discussion but they can be dangerous on a message board. It's really easy to come off as condescending, arrogant, uninformed and egotistical in them. They can often lead to name calling or flame wars. Sometimes others who see the discussion don't get that it's not an argument from either side, but an exchange of ideas. They just see two people bickering and report it. And there are some people who just refuse to listen to others ideas, or they seem to feel that every opposing opinion is an attack on them... those people really make having a discussion difficult.

I'm in no way saying a discussion should stop. I just think whenever you start one you should be prepared for the fallout.

If we all agreed all the time the world would be an awfully boring place. I'm here to make it interesting!

Last edited by photo_chick; 01-10-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: excessive use of the word AND
photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #80
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
I love a good discussion but they can be dangerous on a message board. It's really easy to come off as condescending, arrogant, uninformed and egotistical in them.
Exactly, its can be bothersome when people incorrectly come to that conclusion on a discussion board. I would much rather someone finds out I am that way in person!
Old 01-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #81
photo_chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post

Exactly, its can be bothersome when people incorrectly come to that conclusion on a discussion board. I would much rather someone finds out I am that way in person!
LOL..

I think it's kind of funny that people often assume they know all about you from a few posts on a message board.

If we all agreed all the time the world would be an awfully boring place. I'm here to make it interesting!

Old 01-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #82
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It hasn't been often that it has happened here, but it seems to be happening more lately. I've wondered why some posters have left the forum and have been told firsthand that this is the reason.

Sad. Because we should be able to discuss things without arguing and to show some sensitivity when others have a different opinion. Sometimes you just have to let it go if it's becoming intense or personal.

I mean, informational discussions are one thing. But arguments are another.

This is a great, friendly forum for information. Let's strive to keep it that way.
Well said. One of the reasons I've always gravitated toward this forum, aside from the shared love of Disney, is its friendliness, which is particularly pronounced when you compare this forum to other photography focused message boards. I'm not averse to debate; in fact, I think it can be a useful way to learn, not just about photography, but in general. However, there seems to be an attitude of "one-upmanship" to recent disagreements that you didn't see here much in the past.

fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #83
cpbjgc
Earned My Ears
We cannot lose the kitchen
Who knew I had no pictures of Frontierland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzperry View Post
Well said. One of the reasons I've always gravitated toward this forum, aside from the shared love of Disney, is its friendliness, which is particularly pronounced when you compare this forum to other photography focused message boards. I'm not averse to debate; in fact, I think it can be a useful way to learn, not just about photography, but in general. However, there seems to be an attitude of "one-upmanship" to recent disagreements that you didn't see here much in the past.
I totally disagree with something you just said. I don't know what, but I am more right, and that's just the way it is.

Having made my pronouncement, me making a YAGE! -->

Edit to add

For full disclosure, I have taken a couple pictures with my Iphone 4s.

Last edited by cpbjgc; 01-10-2013 at 04:45 PM.
cpbjgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #84
photo_chick

This board, even with it's most impassioned discussions, has got nothing on the epic resort mug threads.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #85
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
This board, even with it's most impassioned discussions, has got nothing on the epic resort mug threads.
I made the mistake of stepping into one on the theme park board about a child "leash." No more.

fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #86
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzperry View Post
I made the mistake of stepping into one on the theme park board about a child "leash." No more.
Glad to see your still alive after that!

When I first joined this board, for our last trip, more than a few threads made me more confused after I visited them than before. Just mention bringing a check in bag with you and your lucky to leave a thread with your head still attached. I also learned that something is wrong with me because a park hopper is a must for us. I come to these board looking for advice or helping people out, not to feel like a kid getting scolded by my parents.

There is currently a Mistakes you won't make next time thread that is very comical. You read one person write i will never do ______ again and a few post later someone will write ______ (same thing) is a must! Currently 23 pages of useful advice and contradictions.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #87
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbjgc View Post
For full disclosure, I have taken a couple pictures with my Iphone 4s.
These look pretty good!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #88
MikeandReneePlus5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
The second group shot is very poorly composed
Question here: what would you do to improve it?

This is something I run into a lot...it's a party, the group gets together (some begrudingly) there are people firing off shots with all sorts of cameras...I mean you aren't going to stop the proceedings and position everyone etc.

SOMETIMES, I might try and get a group to move just a little to better light or a nicer backdrop but even that gets met with groans etc.

So are you saying the photographer, within those confines, can still compose a better shot for thet 2nd pic and what would you have done?

I hope this doens't come across as anything but a genuine curiousity on my part.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #89
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandReneePlus5 View Post
Question here: what would you do to improve it?

This is something I run into a lot...it's a party, the group gets together (some begrudingly) there are people firing off shots with all sorts of cameras...I mean you aren't going to stop the proceedings and position everyone etc.

SOMETIMES, I might try and get a group to move just a little to better light or a nicer backdrop but even that gets met with groans etc.

So are you saying the photographer, within those confines, can still compose a better shot for thet 2nd pic and what would you have done?

I hope this doens't come across as anything but a genuine curiousity on my part.
In these candid and semi-candid moments, there isn't much you can do.
In terms of that second picture, it was photographed from very far away, at a poor angle. So it's a simple matter of the photographer should have moved.
I find a lot of novice photographers are afraid of getting too close to their subjects. They feel the need to "stand back."
So 1 piece of advice that I try to follow myself, is to get close... sometimes get a little uncomfortably close, fill your frame with the subject. Don't stick your subjects in the middle of the frame with tons of dead space.

Here is a sample group shot.. I wasn't more than 3 feet away from the subjects.

cousins-120.jpg by Havoc315, on Flickr

But... I fully admit, it's not always easy to get a good shot. But I'm not a professional... nobody is paying me to make sure key group shots are captured. So my confession is I take TONS of TERRIBLE pictures. But the important sentence is that I take a TON of pictures.
If taking a group shot, I'll quickly click off a whole bunch of shots, adjusting my angle a few times as well. And hopefully, 1 out of the 10 shots is pretty good, and I can discard the rest.
Maybe at a get together, I'll shoot 100-200 shots. Nobody ever needs to see the 190 bad shots. I can share the 10 good shots and get "wow, you take such great pictures."
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #90
cpbjgc
Earned My Ears
We cannot lose the kitchen
Who knew I had no pictures of Frontierland?

Quote:
These look pretty good!
Thanks!

In all honesty, my thinking is the best camera for a shot is the one you have at hand. As long as you have some understanding of expsoure, and the limits of what the camera you are using can do, you can often get a good/creative shot, or at least understand why you can't.

I am off to go save some pool chairs at Wilderness Lodge so I have a spot when I get back from pool hopping at the Poly. I like to grab the shady spots so the children (who I took out of school to go down to Disney) can play volleyball in the hot tub. We then head back to Pop to our crockpot of chili that's been cooking all day.

cpbjgc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: