Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
petunia
DIS Veteran

1st time off property in a LONG time..need help

We are huge WDW fans, family of 6, 2 a and 4 c. We have always stayed onsite, aside from years ago when once we stayed at Nick hotel. We usually stay at ASmu family suites, or 2 connceting rooms at a value or mod. This time we really wanted a bit nicer resort, but the deluxe and villas are soo expensive for a family of 6 that we're considering staying offsite. One huge drawback for us is the lack of a dining plan if we stay offsite, as we love the ddp, and I wouldn't even know how to budget for food for us for 10-14 days...anyhow, I feel like if we do stay off property it has to be nice, we have been looking at bonnet creek, but when I plug dates in, there is only 1 option given, a 2 bedroom, which is fine, but where do I find other options like the prsidential? Also, are the swan and dolphin Disney resorts, are they nice?
petunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
the lack of a dining plan if we stay offsite, as we love the ddp, and I wouldn't even know how to budget for food for us for 10-14 days.
I have never, not once, spent as much on food just eating what, where, and when we want as the "appropriate" dining plan would have cost. Usually, that's because we don't eat exactly the right mix of TS and CS meals. Even when we do, we inevitably mix in some less expensive meals into the mix, just because that's what we want that day, and end up coming out ahead.

As for Bonnet---you'll get a much better deal if you rent from an owner there than if you try to rent from Wyndham or through Expedia.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Bete
DIS Veteran

We stayed at the Swan and Dolphin and it's nicer than Disney's values or mods. I won't go as far as to say it's equal to a Disney deluxe. I consider this resort to be more adult minded. Using the boats for the parks (HS and Epcot) seem to take too long for our liking. You do get early entry to the parks with this resort.

Many resorts limit occupancy to 5 per room. I think this is a safety issue with fires. We like Residence Inn Lake Buena Vista for offsite stays for Disney. I watched the site religiously to get a better price. As you get closer to your time you can usually find a better rate. I booked, cancelled and then rebooked at a lower price. This is a strategy that paid off for us. I reduced our rate $40/night. I love their included breakfast and we did three evening meals with them which we're included. The dinner meals were like quick service.

I think your best option may be to look at home and condo rentals. There are deals offered here, too. They run specials. Just do a search for rental homes and start looking. Many of these rentals offer a pool. You can use restaurant.com certificates or the entertainment book for meals.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote