Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
wdwmom3
Mouseketeer

Disney school trip prank

I just read an article about grade 8 students in Windsor were led to believe that they were going to Disney for a year end trip when it was really just a prank. Apparently a teacher left out a brochure for students to find and then the kids were shown a video about the trip. After it was over and the kids were super excited they told them they weren't going. The year end trip planned was one to a bowling ally. I can't believe the teachers did this. Those poor kids.
wdwmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Ted in Halifax
Over a 2,000 mile drive from Disney!

If I was an administrator there ... there would be a a new topic for PD day.

This is a case of bullying .... and bad judgement

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...o-florida.html
May 2007 Fort Wilderness Cabins, Feb 2009 Pop Century, Nov 2009 Port Orleans Riverside, March 2010 Pop Century AP, May 2010 All Star Music AP, Nov 2010 POP Century AP, Feb 2011 Port Orleans Riverside AP, March 2012 AKV, March 2012 Disney Dream, March 2012 BWV, Feb 2013 POP AP, March 2013 AKL AP, July 2013 AKL AP, Dec 2013 Coronado Springs AP, Dec 2013 Saratoga Springs AP, and Dec 2013 POR French Quarter AP, JAN 2015 AKL JAMBO HOUSE Watching the SuperBowl at AKL ....
Ted in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

I think it was a terrible thing to do but I don't think it was bullying, the teachers involved should be reprimanded but there has been talk of firing them which I think is a bit extreme - they shouldn't lose their jobs over it

POR Feb 6-14 2013
POR Feb 2-11 2014
Canooknic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canooknic View Post
I think it was a terrible thing to do but I don't think it was bullying, the teachers involved should be reprimanded but there has been talk of firing them which I think is a bit extreme - they shouldn't lose their jobs over it
There has been no talk of firing, except from random posters on the Internet.

They would never be fired for this type of thing. Our teacher unions are very powerful, and they get child predators put back into classrooms, so these teachers wouldn't be fired.

They were privately disciplined today, and the climate at the school is very, very tense...

Very bad judgment on the part of these teachers. As a teacher, the whole situtation makes me very uneasy.

Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
LuzzBightyear
Mouseketeer

If the "prank" was targeted against the one(s) who snooped, it would not be so bad...but I think it is cruel to do it to the whole grade 8 population. That being said, this certainly does not meet my definition of bullying.
LuzzBightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
RainbowsMist
"There's a little kid in all of us..."

Bullying? No. Totally inappropriate and unprofessional? Yes!!!! The term bullying is too loosely used nowadays. Yes it's a serious hot topic right now and with that people need to get educated on what the clear definition of bullying really is.

That being said, I do feel sorry for those students and as a parent I would be none to happy. The staff involved need to be reprimanded.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

March 2013 Carnival Breeze & Offsite
March 2012 Jamaica
March 2011 - Offsite
April 2010 - Offsite
March 2007 - Offsite *First Family Florida Vacation!*
RainbowsMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

This IMO was no way bullying. However it was unprofessional, cruel and deceiving.

It is also very hypocritical- can you imagine how much trouble a student/ students would get into if they carried out a similar scale joke on a teacher? The teachers should be punished, but not fired.

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Sorry, we will have to disagree as to whether it's bullying.

They hyped the kids up with fake props, and then showed the recording of their despair and dejection to another class.

You don't call this bullying? I do, and I am a teacher, Tiger
Old 02-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowsMist View Post
Bullying? No. Totally inappropriate and unprofessional? Yes!!!! The term bullying is too loosely used nowadays. Yes it's a serious hot topic right now and with that people need to get educated on what the clear definition of bullying really is.
Agree.

My DS had his orbital broken by another student during lunch break last May, with the physical assault coming on the heels of months of torment via social media. THAT is bullying. And sadly, that kind of an attack is so common it doesn't even make the radar of the community.

I think teachers need to lead by example, and these particular educators are guilty of excessively bad judgement. But "bullying"? Not in my opinion. The whole thing has just been blown up by the media because its pretty uncommon for teachers to act more childishly than their students. (To all those awesome teachers out there.....and there are many of you.....thanks for all you do ).

I do hope that this school and these teachers use this whole matter as a learning experience for everyone, and apologize to the student body for their poor choices. When you do wrong, admit your error and apologize to those affected. Now THAT is an educational experience that our youth could really benefit from.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! Visit my trip report in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
keltiesmom
Mouseketeer

I think the teachers involved should have to send 1 family to wdw. Do a draw of all the students names who were tricked.
keltiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #11
alc571
DIS Veteran

I'm actually surprised this happened at this point. I mean, with all the ontario teachers refusing to partake in extra curriculars and voluntary work as part of their work to rule campaign...but this they can do? I can't even get my sons teacher to provide a monthly class calendar like she use to!

I hope these teachers are punished appropriately.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
LSmith
DIS Veteran

I also agree this is a case of bullying - in a passive/aggressive way. The definition of "bullying" is not a one size fit all word.

I would be very interested in knowing whether these teachers were actually disciplined or not although I know we will never find out.

Ontario kids and students and parents have been jerked around since the beginning of the school year and now this.

Last edited by LSmith; 02-23-2013 at 10:28 AM.
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

As I mentioned in the original thread discussing this, teachers were privately disciplined yesterday.

Tiger
Old 02-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
As I mentioned in the original thread discussing this, teachers were privately disciplined yesterday.

Tiger
I know you said that but I'd love to know what "disciplined" means in this particular case.
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #15
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSmith

I know you said that but I'd love to know what "disciplined" means in this particular case.
It is being kept very under wraps at this point.

We are all wondering...

Tiger

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: