Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
jabuller
Earning My Ears

Tips for toddler and preschooler, 1st trip to WDW

Hi all, I have been to Disney about 5 times, but not in eight years. I am now getting ready to take my 3yo DD, 2yo DS, Dh, and 18 yo sister who have all never been to Disney. We are staying off property due to space issues. The main tips I'm looking for are....
1. DD is almost 3, she will turn 3 one day after we get there. Do I have to buy a ticket for her? I know staying on property they don't need one if they turn 3 during the trip, but does it work the same way off property since they don't know when our reservation began? She is also a tall kid, 39.5 inches, so do I need any proof of her age when we go?
2. What about birthdays, I have read some tips for special things to do for birthdays. Any in particular that you recommend?
3. How does the ride switch work? Say DD and DH ride a ride while I stay with DS, when switching can I ride it with her riding again or do I have to ride alone? Do all rides offer this or is it only certain ones, if so are the participating rides posted somewhere?
4. What are your must do meals? We aren't on the DDP since we are off property, but still want to have a few fun meals with the kids. We are going to do Askerhaus since Belle is have favorite princess and have debated on the Lilo and Stitch breakfast, what's the overall reviews on those two? Also how "worth it" is Chef Mickeys?
5. Any other small child friendly advice is welcomed
jabuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

The ticket issue you could ask a CM what they suggest to do. When you go to buy your passes just tell them while we are here she will be celebrating her 3rd birthday and if you should buy a pass for her too for when that happens.

To celebrate you can always request a cupcake or small cake for 15$. And when you get there go to GS and get her a pin to wear.

For ride swap yes she can ride again with you. When DH gets off you will get a fastpass ticket to go on the ride with her.
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
Ferrentinos
DIS Veteran

We just returned from a trip with DD who is just over 2. We loved the breakfast at Ohana with Lilo and Stitch. Highly recommend it!!!! She had a blast with them and DH and I loved the breakfast! The breads were so good! Let me know if you have any other questions. Love to talk about our trip!!

Ferrentinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

I think as long as she was 2 at the start of your trip, regardless of whether you're staying on-site or off-site, she will not need a ticket. You don't need to worry about taking any proof of her age, the CMs will trust you to be honest. Especially if she's riding in a stroller, they won't question you.

For "rider switch": Rider switch is only available at attractions that have a height requirement and all of those attractions utilize FastPass. You approach the CM at the attraction entrance with the entire group (they need to see the under-height child) and say, "we need to do a rider switch." The CM will give you a FastPass-sized ticket that is good for up to 3 riders. The first group will get in line to ride while one or more people wait with the too-short rider(s). When they are done, you take the Rider Switch Pass back to the FastPass entrance and up to 3 people can ride with that one pass. It's not "advertised," specifically, you just have to know to ask. Again, it's only on attractions with height restrictions.

Birthday: go to Guest Relations and get your daughter a birthday button and have her wear it. She'll get birthday wishes, may get a cupcake or special moment sometime along the way.

We used to love Chef Mickey's but our last dinner there was not very good, so it's off our list. My best friend has daughters and they love Akershus, so that's definitely a good one to do. We did the 'Ohana breakfast once but we didn't love it, so we haven't been back. We do love Crystal Palace, though. We had breakfast there one morning before the park opened and loved being in the park so early. I would definitely do that again.

Have a magical trip!

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
jabuller
Earning My Ears

I need to look into Crystal Palace I keep hearing great reviews. Good to know you need need proof of age, she will be in a stroller when we head in for the day so things should be easier.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
kdog_1981
Mouseketeer

I am here now and we did Askerhaus the other day for breakfast. We have 3 kids and have the dining plan. The breakfast food and selection isn't that great. No omelette station or meat carving. The price for 3 people was over 100 bucks! Thank goodness it was a dining credit.

2011-Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013-BC
kdog_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:09 AM   #7
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

We did the Lilo and Stitch breakfast the year before last and it was nice. The kids LOVED seeing all the characters up close. I remember the food and this juice they had was so good!
DS~2
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
jabuller
Earning My Ears

I might have to really think about Askerhaus then. We will not be on the dining plan and I wants at least good food if I am going to spend that much. How was the character interaction at Askerhaus?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #9
kdog_1981
Mouseketeer

Interaction was short and brief. You can get more time see them at the parks. Boma is by far my Fav and a not expensive for breakfast.

2011-Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013-BC
kdog_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: