Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #106
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Considering I babysat multiple kids at that age and also walked one to school each day, I'd say yes.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #107
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Disney Mom View Post
I would most likely not do it. Things happen. Rides get stuck. Sudden bad weather. It's just me but I wouldn't enjoy the ride.
it's not just you,I'm with you!

thankfully,awful things happening are rare,but they do happen.

slightly off topic,but friend's of ours used to leave their children- from probably aged 3 and 7, in bed, on their own whilst husband would drive wife to work her night shift(she doesn't drive)-whether the journey was 5 minutes or 5 miles, I could not have done that.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #108
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2mm View Post
slightly off topic,but friend's of ours used to leave their children- from probably aged 3 and 7, in bed, on their own whilst husband would drive wife to work her night shift(she doesn't drive)-whether the journey was 5 minutes or 5 miles, I could not have done that.
What were they supposed to do? Wake the 2 kids up from their sleep and put them in the car in the middle of the night while Dad drives Mom to work? For a 10-15 minute round trip?
Old 01-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #109
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
What were they supposed to do? Wake the 2 kids up from their sleep and put them in the car in the middle of the night while Dad drives Mom to work? For a 10-15 minute round trip?
I probably would! Sorry but with the youngest being 3, i wouldnt be comfy leaving the kids alone.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #110
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterLovesMickey View Post
Just thinking about this - and, honestly, I don't view WDW differently than the 'rest of the real world' ... and, in as much as I feel that way - I wouldn't leave my 12 y/o DD alone. Not because I don't trust HER - I trust her implicitly. But, in all honesty - call me jaded or whatever - I simply don't trust the rest of the world... And, I don't think that WDW is an exception. Now, to be fair, DH and I are considered to be more 'cautious' than some of our girls' friend's parents ... but, that doesn't really bother me... I prefer caution to regret...

All that said - I'm sure that chances are GREATLY in the favor of such a situation being PERFECTLY OK - with no problems at all ... I just probably wouldn't enjoy the ride (or whatever I was doing while DD was alone), for worrying myself silly!

I'm sure that my 12 y/o and her 10 y/o sister find me highly annoying ... but, again - I prefer caution to regret.

Just my opinion!
My heart exactly!!!
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #111
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
I probably would! Sorry but with the youngest being 3, i wouldnt be comfy leaving the kids alone.
I think after the first cranky week you would be leaving those kids in bed! They are asleep and the chance that something might happen is very, very, very, very x 1 million low in the 15 minutes you are gone. The people who "Just run out for cigarettes" while their houses burn down usually also had a stop at the bar on the way home. As long as the Dad drops Mom off and comes right back home I don't see an problem leaving a couple of kids at home sleeping in their beds.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #112
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

She'll be fine. Disney only asks that children under the age of 7 be supervised in the theme parks (under 10 must be supervised at the waterparks and DQ as well)

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #113
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I think after the first cranky week you would be leaving those kids in bed! They are asleep and the chance that something might happen is very, very, very, very x 1 million low in the 15 minutes you are gone. The people who "Just run out for cigarettes" while their houses burn down usually also had a stop at the bar on the way home. As long as the Dad drops Mom off and comes right back home I don't see an problem leaving a couple of kids at home sleeping in their beds.
Ya youre probably right. Lol.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #114
2girlsmom
DIS Veteran

My oldest dd14 has mild autism, so is socially younger than 14 (probably 9 or 10ish), and we do this year allow her to go in the gift shop while we ride. She is too afraid to do the preshow stuff on ToT either, so she waits and shops (she LOVES to shop). She does pretty well not getting bored for at least 30-40 minutes, after which she isn't crazy about it anymore, but she still stays in the stores, etc at the end of rides and generally I find her at the counter looking at the little stuff, so within arms reach of the CM. The only exception to this is when there is an arcade or something, like at MS in Epcot, or Mummy(USF) or Space Mountain, etc. In that case she is in the arcade/game area, and would happily stay there for a couple hours if we wanted. She is aware of stranger danger stuff, and has done really well with it.

& Lucky
2girlsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #115
torsie24
Or I could call it the postalabration
Now I know to wear flip flops!
Got engaged on a trip to Disneyland Paris

Definitely at 12.

She can always line up with you for these things and then take the chicken exit and wait in the shop, then she'll only be alone for the duration of the ride, adn you an all chat and have fun in line.

WDW: 1994-I Drive / 2009-AKL / 2011-Disney Wedding -AKL-GF RPC-BW-BLT
DLRP 1997-HNY / 2000-SL / 2008-SL / 2009-DLH / 2012-HNY
DLR: 2005-Day Trip
torsie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #116
ShannonMB
DIS Veteran

OP here! Thanks again to everyone for the thoughtful responses. I'm so glad I started this thread!

So I talked to DD last night about what I posted and what some of the opinions were. I told her, "Best of all, I found out that you can actually wait in line with us and take the chicken exit right before we get on!" Her reaction surprised me...

"NO WAY!" huh? "I don't trust that I will be able to bail out at the end, I will be scared the whole time that I will end up having to go on the rides! In fact, this whole thing might just be a trick for you to get me on the rides!" "Just leave me in the gift shop for crying out loud!"

I asked if she was more afraid of ToT than the chance that someone might try to snatch her or some other awful thing, and she said, "Definitely! Cast members are all over the place, I will be totally fine. Just fast pass them!"

ShannonMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #117
famousmockingbird
Mouseketeer

She sounds like a mature, responsible young lady!
famousmockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #118
Pixie Princess
DIS Veteran

Location: With Cinderella's mice making a new dress for Belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonMB View Post
"NO WAY!" huh? "I don't trust that I will be able to bail out at the end, I will be scared the whole time that I will end up having to go on the rides! In fact, this whole thing might just be a trick for you to get me on the rides!" "Just leave me in the gift shop for crying out loud!"
LOL! That sounds like something my DD would have said not too long ago. We actually have the opposite problem for a couple of rides- RnRC and M:S Orange. I can't ride the rides that pull those kinds of Gs anymore, so if DD12 wants to ride she has to go on her own. For RnRC she will usually just bypass it because as she says, "I always end up sitting with someone that freaks me out." But if the desire to ride is strong enough she'll get it on it whilst I wait in the gift shop. For M:S we just each go on our respective sides and meet up at the end.

I have however let her cycle through the animation classes while I go to the BatB show since she has no interest in that. I'll also let her browse around the store at the Japan pavilion while I sit outside and people watch or listen to the drummers. In fact, I could drop her off at either of those and leave her all day and she'd be perfectly happy!
Pixie Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #119
Peter Fan
Peter Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb
Until someone notifies the authorities and then you would be in a little trouble.
Peter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #120
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't leave my 9 year old, but I'd leave her 8 year old friend. Depends on the kid....
You're in a gift shop in Disney. For a smart, responsible 12 year old, i don't think you have to worry about a stranger luring her out of the store.

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: