Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #31
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Seven dwarfs: I am so sorry this happened to your family. There are some sick people out there.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #32
Lehuaann
Lehu hu Boo Boo

Yes. It also depends on maturity. When our DS was 12 he roamed MNSSHP for part of evening without us since all he wanted was candy. He took his cell phone of course.

Now a couple of years ago a family left their child (4?) alone in the SM gift shop alone...we couldn't believe it. The child was extremely chatty with strangers and by the time we realized he was alone - CMs had already called security. They just watched over him and made sure he was picked up, from what we saw. As the family exited the ride and came looking for him, the father must've immediately picked up on the group of us glaring/staring...cause he was looking over his shoulder at us as they were walking out the door.

DL & WDW * FW Cabin 3x * AKL CL 2x * Poly CL * CR CL * AKL Arusha * POFQ * POR

Lehuaann is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #33
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousermerf View Post
The only real guidance Disney offers is that children under the age of 10 must be accompanied by someone 16 or older. So you're two years past that limit.
I thought it was 7 and 14.

That's what we were told by CMs during our trip last August. (Our youngest was 6 and our oldest 13, so DS6 needed an adult but DDs 8 & 13 were allowed to ride without us.)

Maybe that's just while in the parks/riding attractions and the 10/16 is for entering a park?

As for the OP: Last trip we did leave our DD in the gift shop at Everest while we all went back on for a second ride (she didn't want to ride again). It was walk on and we were gone less than 5 minutes. This was honestly the first time I had left a child out of my sight and I was a bit nervous but I think it was good for her independence. She traded a pins with the CMs and was waiting right at the ride exit to look at our pictures with us.
tzolkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #34
DisneyLvr55
The thing swooped down, hit me in the face with its wing, scooped up my dog, and flew away

I wouldn't have a problem doing it, but I would only do it if I had FPs for the rides. This goes for anyone waiting for me to ride. Some of those lines can be over an hour, and if the person waiting has to wait in one little store, that could get incredibly boring for such a long time.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #35
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

I would absolutely leave a 12 year old in the gift shop while we went on a ride.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #36
lucifie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
My DD is now 13, but I would have had no problem leaving her in a gift shop alone at WDW when she was 12. In fact, I know I did! What is going to happen to your DD? She won't be raped or otherwise sexually assaulted by some pervert, dragged away and killed by a passing murderer, propositioned or groomed by a pedophile or knocked upside the head and have her iPod taken by a bandit.

Make sure she has a cell phone so you can text when you're off the ride in case she wanders away.
YES! Of course, it depends on a child, but if she will follow instructions and stay where she's supposed to be I'm sure she'll be fine. It's unlikely anyone will do anything to her when there are lots of witnesses.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #37
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

I am super over-protective and a worrier. I would definitely leave a 12 year old girl in the gift shop, if I knew she would not leave and go do something else. 3 of my girls would have been fine waiting for me...one would have run off and tried to do something fun while I was gone. I think the gift shops are safe, and there are CMs working there so if she screamed, someone would notice! As long as she stays where she is supposed to be, no problem. I'd even leave an 11 year old there...I think 10 is a bit young though.
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #38
seven dwarfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Seven dwarfs: I am so sorry this happened to your family. There are some sick people out there.
Thank you, yes there are. I have been so obsessed with teaching my kids and trying to be cautious of those around us. You just never know. You can not stop sick people. There was a horrific crime of a little girl in town at Christmas before my daughters incident. I had to talk to them about it because it was all over the news etc. So it is not like my kids don't know what can happen. She said she just froze up and it took time to respond.

It was an awful experience and to this day my daughter is unable to ride that attraction. I was worried she would never want to go back to Disney. I just want to share with others because if you told me this would have happend to my daughter in Disney, I would have never believed it. I know 12 seems mature (and she is for her age), but there are sick people everywhere. You can't trust others.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #39
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

I would and I have. My ds11 is not a rider. He walks through the line and then takes the chicken exit and waits for us - has been doing this for several years.
WantToGoNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #40
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
I too am very sorry! What a horrible thing to happen to her with you right there on the attraction with her!
Old 01-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #41
ShannonMB
DIS Veteran

Thank you all so much for the responses!

I do know my child, and I am certain she can be trusted to follow the protocol we put in place. She is also very comfortable in her own skin and enjoys little tests of her independence. Thing is, she just turned 12, is my only, and I am still trying to wrap my brain around all these changes that take place at this age!

I'm not taking a poll, I will definitely ultimately decide on our strategy based on my gut and what I think is best. But this discussion is already giving me SO much to think about - AND so much concrete info. In all the times I've been, I never knew about the chicken exits!!!! I do think DD would enjoy seeing the queues (esp for ToT), so that's probably the solution. But the discussion is definitely helping me sort my thoughts, so thanks!

And Seven Dwarfs, I'm so sorry, too.

ShannonMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #42
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

The first time my whole family rode Rock N Roller coaster (on our first trip) my DS11 (use to be a ride chicken too) didn't want to ride it.

I found out from the CM where the ride exited and took DS over to the gift shop where the ride lets out and he waited for us while we rode.

Now the 2nd time we rode and I had ridden and knew it wasn't really that bad I bribed DS into going on the ride.

But I wouldn't hesitate to leave my 12 year old DD in the gift shop where the ride lets out into as long as she was told DO NOT LEAVE THIS AREA and do not talk to strange men. (That's just the paranoid side of me looking out for pedophiles)
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #43
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsme View Post
I wouldn't with my DD. My DD is 10 now, but I wouldn't leave her alone at 12. When my son was 12, I didn't leave him alone. I trusted him & he was mature. I worry about the adult's behavior that are roaming around.

bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #44
NHKristy76
Senior Mousketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonMB
My daughter (12) and I will be travelling to Disney in March with another adult, a 21 year old gal who love, love, loves everything Disney and has never been. DD and I are beyond thrilled to take her for the first time and can't wait to see her face when she finally sees what she's always dreamed of!

DD is a bit of a ride chicken and still won't even consider ToT or RnRC (although she actually is willing to give Everest a try for the first time this trip!). I want our friend to get to see these, and I can't decide if I should send her on her own and stay back with DD, or if, for crying out loud the kid is 12 years old, I was babysitting at her age, and of course she will be just fine hanging out until we get off and go along! I hate to miss them myself on any trip! It's just the 3 of us travelling.

Which part of me is crazy? I should add that she occasionally is home for an hour or so alone, is a very bright and responsible girl, and knows all about stranger danger. If she were with a friend it would be a no brainer. But alone? Opinions?
I am a safety nut but would feel fine with a responsible 12 yr old waiting outside of a ride or a gift shop. With that said, I'd probably try to get her on the rides too!
NHKristy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #45
NHKristy76
Senior Mousketeer

Please delete. I let my annoyance get the better of me.

Last edited by NHKristy76; 01-06-2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Post was not necessary
NHKristy76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: