Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #331
Sheaboys
DIS Veteran

Do what you think is best. There are great que's to go through then chicken exits. I say do that. But only if the child is ok with going into the gift shop alone. I know my kids would be ok with that. But some kids aren't. So if you and your child are on the same page, do it.

Our August 2012 Free Dining Review. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2990330

Mom to 5 little boys
WDW-various days during the 70's and 80's as a child. DisneyLand-July 1991, DisneyWorld-April 1992 offsite
Caribbean Beach-June 1995 honeymoon, All Stars Sports-December 1998, All Star Movies- November 2000 (me, my mom and the 2 boys) DTD Hotel - May 2001, All Star Movies-September 2001 (me, the 2 boys and my girlfriend), Disneyland-December 2003 (us and the 3 boys), POR-October 2nd-8th 2005 (us and the 3 boys)Caribbean Beach-August 25, 2012-September 2,2012
POR-August 2014 (16th-26th)

(dh43) (me 43) (16)(14)(12)(8) (5)
Sheaboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #332
Primrosepower
Mouseketeer

Haha your DD is exactly like me!!! 4 parks, and those are the only 2 that I will not be going on!!

Primrosepower is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #333
DLB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieGirl33
Yes, I would.

Another idea is to have them wait in line together & have your DD use the chicken exit. She could then simply wait at the off-load point. It would, at least, minimize time she spends alone.
I think this is the best option unless you have FP. The waits can be very long otherwise to roam around alone for anyone let alone a 12 yr old.

Who knows maybe she will gains some courage and jump on the ride at the last minute?
Old 01-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #334
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six View Post
So, to the pp who lets her 5 year old son use the mens room - are you saying that you are comfortable leaving your 5 year old child standing out in the crowds of WDW all alone? This thread is a little disturbing. The average 5, 6, 7, 8, and even 9 year old boy is not really interested in sex and is not trying to get a look at teenager girls through the crack of a stall door..
I would feel comfortable having a 5 year old wait outside the restroom - at that age, I was walking to school alone (15 minute walk). I'm more overprotective, though - my kids didn't walk to school without an adult until 2nd grade.

I'm very familiar with boys ages 5 - 9, and also girls 5 - 9. None of my boys were really interested in sex at that age (of course). However, one of my boys might try to mess with one of his sisters, and get the wrong stall by mistake (if I brought him into the ladies room which I would not have). However, if I told him to stay put outside, he'd stay put outside. And I think the chances of him being the first every child abducted from WDW in it's history would be slim to none. If someone wants him that badly, they can snatch him on his walk home from school (which is also slim to none).
Old 01-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #335
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
I would say 7 is too old. JMHO.

I allow my 5 year old to use the restroom alone though... so there you have it.
Totally agree.

My 5.5 year old FREAKS on me if I tell him to come into the women's room. He is NOT having it. He hates it - "I am a boy mom, I go in the boy's room". So I let him 99% of the time. My older son - he has been using the men's room alone for a good few years, too. He is also mature and, as I said upthread, I would be ok with leaving him in a gift shop now. My 5 year old....he is pretty ditzy and I know would wander. He gets lost in our small little house, so I do think it will be a while longer before I let him do too much alone (outside of using the men's room...)
Old 01-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #336
katdralion
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
That's irrelevant. It's not up to you or me to judge others on what makes them uncomfortable. Women's restrooms were built for WOMEN. Society allows for young boys simply because they shouldn't be left alone but beyond that it gets ridiculous.
In the UK it is common to have male toilet attendants/cleaners working in the ladies' restrooms and in a lot of places in Europe, males and females use the same restrooms. I prefer separate ladies' restrooms as they are usually cleaner!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #337
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by katdralion View Post
In the UK it is common to have male toilet attendants/cleaners working in the ladies' restrooms and in a lot of places in Europe, males and females use the same restrooms. I prefer separate ladies' restrooms as they are usually cleaner!
North of Mouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #338
csummerlin55
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk

Thank you!

I do find it comical that a stranger on an internet forum thinks they know more about this than I do. I also find it odd that another poster says the young girl should get over it, yet will not tell the insecure mom dragging her 9/10 yo boy into the women's room to get over it.

Peter Fan, are you at least female?
I'm saying she will naturally get over it because the fact that a 9-10 year old boy is in the same restroom as they are (not peering in on them) should not be enough to scar a teen girl for life. If it does, I would worry about the teen.
csummerlin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #339
nchulka
it was funny when the creepy guys would follow close to them and then pull their chainsaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by csummerlin55 View Post
I'm saying she will naturally get over it because the fact that a 9-10 year old boy is in the same restroom as they are (not peering in on them) should not be enough to scar a teen girl for life. If it does, I would worry about the teen.
It's that poor boy who is going to be scarred for life! If he's being raised in such a paranoid environment that his mommy makes him come with her to the ladies room he will grow up scarred (and scared)!
Old 01-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #340
csummerlin55
Mouseketeer

Quote:

So you're telling the teen girl dealing with personal hygeine issues in the women's restroom...... complete with gaps in the door frame...... to get OVER havng an older boy right outside the door?

Maybe the insecure mother of the 9/10 year old boy is the one who needs to "get over it"!
Wouldn't she be almost as mortified by a 9-10 year old little girl standing outside her stall door while she was attending to her feminine needs? Anyone standing within "peeking distance" would probably make a teen girl a little uncomfortable. Should we create a special restroom just for teen girls? Again, in my perfect world everyone would be comfortable. I want my DD to be comfy but I also want to raise her to be an understanding and reasonable adult.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #341
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy View Post
just for everyones info
I emailed Disney World & asked about bringing my boys with me into the bathroom - my boys are non-verbal austic
Disney replied that boys age 10 & over are not allowed in the women's restrooms - please use the companion bathrooms if your child is of the other sex & over 9

a 10 year should be able to go into a bathroom my themself - if not please bring someone with you to deal with it or use the companion
Worth quoting Disney's viewpoint.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #342
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by csummerlin55 View Post
Wouldn't she be almost as mortified by a 9-10 year old little girl standing outside her stall door while she was attending to her feminine needs? Anyone standing within "peeking distance" would probably make a teen girl a little uncomfortable. Should we create a special restroom just for teen girls? Again, in my perfect world everyone would be comfortable. I want my DD to be comfy but I also want to raise her to be an understanding and reasonable adult.
Uh.....no. Not even a close call. And the rest of that statement is just odd. They already have created a nice sanctuary for her.

It's called the WOMEN'S restroom.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #343
kris4360
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by csummerlin55

I think you hit it right on the head with understanding and reasonable adult. I don't let it bother me if someone wants to bring their son into the restroom. We don't know the circumstances and most mature teens and adults would understand that. And I can't tell you how many times I've seen mothers letting their little girls crawl all over the floor, which is sick all on it's own, looking under the stalls at me.
kris4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #344
csummerlin55
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Uh.....no. Not even a close call. And the rest of that statement is just odd. They already have created a nice sanctuary for her.

It's called the WOMEN'S restroom.
What part of that comment did you find odd? I can't imagine the thought of a little one peeking in through the cracks in the stall being extremely less embarrassing to a teen if it were a girl unless that teen is accustomed to having younger female siblings at home that do the same. As a teen I would've been embarrassed either way. I think you are trying to discredit this thought (and frankly, the entire post by saying it is "odd") in a last ditch effort to make your point when you see I may have a valid one.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #345
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

I think this discussion has run its course. The OP has made a decision about the question she originally asked, and yet the topic has somehow morphed into a debate about boys in the women's bathrooms. Each person has their own opinion (clearly), and Disney has their rules. There's really nothing that can be achieved from bickering.

2000 - Dixie Landings, 2012 - Pop Century, 2013 - Port Orleans: Riverside and BoardWalk Inn

Turing 21 With Mickey - A Father/Daughter August '13 PTR

No Princes Allowed! - A Mother-Daughter Trip
rebeccaariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: