Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #196
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

I was waiting for this to turn into a debate about the rest rooms. The next poster will say that the companion restroom is only for the disabled.

I stand by my view that my DD10 will most definitely be made to feel uncomfortable by a boy her age being in the girls bathroom. I will explain as I always do that the boy must be disabled and need his mother's assistance.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #197
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
I was waiting for this to turn into a debate about the rest rooms. The next poster will say that the companion restroom is only for the disabled.

I stand by my view that my DD10 will most definitely be made to feel uncomfortable by a boy her age being in the girls bathroom. I will explain as I always do that the boy must be disabled and need his mother's assistance.

I understand what you're saying, but what will you do with your son when he's 10 and alone with you if he has to go to the bathroom at the mall? (Sorry for the predictability in a bathroom question ).
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #198
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbait View Post
AS previously posted, I would not leave my kids at 12. Now, at home, my daughter watches her little brother without thought. But these days, I don't trust strangers to be kind,decent and safe.In my line of work I see the very worst of human life form, and what they can do to others. My kids are confident and strong and know how to take care of themselves, but they are KIDS, not little adults. They should never HAVE to defend themselves. I am their mom, their gaurdian and protector. I know that they are safe in our home. I also now from our experiance at Disney and the reponse of the police and the CM's that this happens more often then any of us what's to believe. Is any ride really worth your childs innocence, or sense of safety and childhood? If my child was 14 or 15, or was being left with another child who was 12-13 then I would concider.
Also, what if it's not a evil thinking stranger, what if it is just a rude, mean adult. We have all seen an example of an adult acting out in public. WHAT IF you did get stuck on a ride?
Just my 2 cents...
I know I will be attacked, but at the end of MY life, I will know I did everything I could to raise confident, successful children, who had a safe enviroment to grow up in. And never felt tlike they had to defend themselves as kids.
But, I am also the same mom who will absolutly drag my 9 year old SON into the ladies room, if I feel like it is unsafe for him to go to the mens room alone..... So I hope the Women who claims that this is rediculous isn't in
there. I would HATE to make her feel uncomfortable for MY son's safety
I'm probably pointing out the obvious, but if your son is an average 9 yr old male, he's old enough to be staring with interest at the girls and women in the women's restroom.
You might reconsider and go to the companion restroom where you can be both safe and appropriate....

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #199
skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenT View Post
I'm probably pointing out the obvious, but if your son is an average 9 yr old male, he's old enough to be staring with interest at the girls and women in the women's restroom.
You might reconsider and go to the companion restroom where you can be both safe and appropriate....

I wonder if he can see through the stalls?
Old 01-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #200
nchulka
it was funny when the creepy guys would follow close to them and then pull their chainsaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater View Post
I understand what you're saying, but what will you do with your son when he's 10 and alone with you if he has to go to the bathroom at the mall?
Is this a serious question?!?! I would do the same thing I did with him when he was 5, tell him to go use the men's room!
Old 01-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #201
peekies722
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonMB View Post
My daughter (12) and I will be travelling to Disney in March with another adult, a 21 year old gal who love, love, loves everything Disney and has never been. DD and I are beyond thrilled to take her for the first time and can't wait to see her face when she finally sees what she's always dreamed of!

DD is a bit of a ride chicken and still won't even consider ToT or RnRC (although she actually is willing to give Everest a try for the first time this trip!). I want our friend to get to see these, and I can't decide if I should send her on her own and stay back with DD, or if, for crying out loud the kid is 12 years old, I was babysitting at her age, and of course she will be just fine hanging out until we get off and go along! I hate to miss them myself on any trip! It's just the 3 of us travelling.

Which part of me is crazy? I should add that she occasionally is home for an hour or so alone, is a very bright and responsible girl, and knows all about stranger danger. If she were with a friend it would be a no brainer. But alone? Opinions?
I have a 12yr old daughter, she sounds similar to your daughter, responsible and mature. My answer would be yes, to leave her. We have left DD12 at Yak and Yeti while we rode the Rapids, I guess it's not cool to get soaking wet when your a tween. She chose to hang back, read her book while sipping on a soda and wait for us. She had a cell phone and her guard up.

Being a NYC/Brooklyn kid, she is very street smart and we've taught her not to trust anybody, even at WDW.

We made her aware of who to go to if something were to happen, preferably an older female CM, in a more high traffic area. We scoped out the area and the potential people and places she could go to if she sensed danger. This was all just precaution, but for the most part we trusted her and her good common sense.

We've always thought that outdoor eateries were more safe than inside a gift shop. Outside there are more people close by, CMs sweeping, cleaning tables, less involved in helping a guest with let's say a purchase. Also I think things are less likely to happen in a more out in the open setting.
peekies722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #202
skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchulka View Post
Is this a serious question?!?! I would do the same thing I did with him when he was 5, tell him to go use the men's room!

It was a serious question. Just different parenting styles. No big deal.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #203
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
I wonder if he can see through the stalls?
What a very odd question. Care to elaborate?
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #204
nchulka
it was funny when the creepy guys would follow close to them and then pull their chainsaws

Quote:
It was a serious question. Just different parenting styles. No big deal.
I don't think making a 10 year old boy go in the ladies room at the mall with his mom can be called a parenting style that is paranoia!
Old 01-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #205
skater

Quote:
I don't think making a 10 year old boy go in the ladies room at the mall with his mom can be called a parenting style that is paranoia!

You can judge and label all you want, I'm going to Disney in 45 days - I'm a happy camper right now.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #206
skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
What a very odd question. Care to elaborate?

Sorry, I'm getting weary of the tone of some of the posts. I personally have no problem taking a 9/10 year old boy into a bathroom with stalls. He's doesn't have x-ray vision and he's not climbing under them. It really depends on where the bathroom is. Some places feel safer than others of course. Its obviously not ideal to take a boy into a woman's bathroom, but sometimes it feels safer.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #207
alecshawn
WDW Fanatic

Quote:
No but its weird.
I have never hear of a child that is 10 , boy or girl go in the opposite sex restroom...thats just creepy.
My DD is 5...she already refuses to goto boys restrooms. And, rightfully so.
I mean, i can understand a 3 y.o. or even 4...but 10. Sorry, that parent...mom or dad needs help.
alecshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #208
skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecshawn View Post
No but its weird.
I have never hear of a child that is 10 , boy or girl go in the opposite sex restroom...thats just creepy.
My DD is 5...she already refuses to goto boys restrooms. And, rightfully so.
I mean, i can understand a 3 y.o. or even 4...but 10. Sorry, that parent...mom or dad needs help.

Guess I need help .
Old 01-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #209
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Sorry, I'm getting weary of the tone of some of the posts. I personally have no problem taking a 9/10 year old boy into a bathroom with stalls. He's doesn't have x-ray vision and he's not climbing under them. It really depends on where the bathroom is. Some places feel safer than others of course. Its obviously not ideal to take a boy into a woman's bathroom, but sometimes it feels safer.
It apparently feels safer to you. But a 10 year old boy does not belong in a woman's bathroom and women and girls should not have to be subjected to his presence. No he cannot see through the stall doors. But he can certainly stare at everyone waiting to go in or at the sinks/mirrors/vending machines.

If you must hover, then hover outside the door to the men's room. If you hear your son yell, feel free to invade their territory. And when the choice of a family/companion restroom is available, use it.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #210
alecshawn
WDW Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
It apparently feels safer to you. But a 10 year old boy does not belong in a woman's bathroom and women and girls should not have to be subjected to his presence. No he cannot see through the stall doors. But he can certainly stare at everyone waiting to go in or at the sinks/mirrors/vending machines.

If you must hover, then hover outside the door to the men's room. If you hear your son yell, feel free to invade their territory. And when the choice of a family/companion restroom is available, use it.
110% correct. Stay outside the door and wait..And yes....the "family" restroom solves all this.
alecshawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: