Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #136
Steamboat Girlie
I WANT TO BE LOCKED IN THE DISNEY VAULT! "Huh-huh. Up and at 'em, pal. Oooh boy, are we glad you're here, big doin's goin' on, so let's get started! See ya real soon!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieGirl33 View Post
Yes, I would.

Another idea is to have them wait in line together & have your DD use the chicken exit. She could then simply wait at the off-load point. It would, at least, minimize time she spends alone.
This.

1976; 85; 86; 88; 96; 04; 08 - off site, 1983 - Disney's Polynesian Village, 2000 - Disneyland Resort, 02 - Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, 02 - Walt Disney World Swan, 02 - Disney's Coronado Springs, 04 & 09 - Disney's Wilderness Lodge and Villas Resort, 05 - Disney's Pop Century Resort, 08, 09 & '12 - Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas, '11 & '13 - Disney's BoardWalk, '12 - Disney's Old Key West, 13' - Disney's Bay Lake Tower

Steamboat Girlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #137
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six

Yes! In all honesty, the thought that anyone would a 3 and 7 year old home alone at anytime is shocking to me. There is way to much that could go wrong, and neither are of an age to handle it.
But the probability that something would go wrong in 10-15 minutes is negligible. I know that I walked my dog around the block at night when my DD was 3-7 and asleep in her bed. It took about 5-10 minutes and I didn't think twice about it. I guess my house could have been hit by a meteorite while I was walking the dog, but don't waste my time worrying about things that are unlikely to happen.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #138
bellaally
DIS Veteran

I would say yes but also only if you had fastpasses or single rider, because who wants two wait outside a ride for more the teenty minutes, if she really isnt going to do anything you might want to take her with you then when you get to the ride she can exit and you guys get on. Sort of the same way it would work for a baby swap. I read disney policy on kids unsupervised is something like older then 7 she sounds like she will be okay either way. Here is some info http://blog.touringplans.com/2011/06...r-child-ready/

bellaally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #139
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

All I want to say here is that it's good to help kids be strong. And one way to help with that is to get them into a GOOD martial arts program. Not the "belt factories" where tiny little kids are moving up every couple months, but the GOOD ones.

DS has been taking Aikido for 2 years now, and he is learning all sorts of things. And one of those things is to yell and MOVE if touched unexpectedly. Not just being bumped, but more of a grab. While he was in the thick of learning it, he would do it at home when it was just us, which was pretty cool. They practice and practice and practice so that the movement and the noise become as ingrained as possible.

So I really recommend something like that to help. And for adults, The Gift of Fear is a good book to help remember our instincts.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #140
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Yes I would if I were going through the FB line or the stand by line was not to terribly long . I would just leave her with her phone and the room key and let her browse. She will be fine !
donaldlovesdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #141
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

In a heart beat. But my kids grew up in NYC, they were taking the train at 12 years old.
Every child is different but my kids go to local amusement parks and to the movies by themselves (I picked them up) so they should be fine for the 4 minutes you are on the ride.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #142
joanchris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieGirl33 View Post
Yes, I would.

Another idea is to have them wait in line together & have your DD use the chicken exit. She could then simply wait at the off-load point. It would, at least, minimize time she spends alone.

I would leave her alone in the gift shop, but I like this idea better. This way she gets to experience part of the attraction with you as well as minimizing the time alone.
2008 May--Flower and Garden Festival, (offsite)
2005 Oct--Food and Wine Festival, Contemporary
1992 Carribean Beach Resort
1972 or 1973(?) Contemporary

Wishgirl's WISHtrip report
joanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #143
Bonnie151
DIS Veteran

I would, though what I would actually do is agree a time and a place to meet up and give her a bit of freedom to explore.

We went to PortAventura in Spain last summer. DS was 10 and tall enough to go on the big coasters. DD wasn't tall anough. We hung around waiting for DS a couple of times but he (or rather, I!) was then confident enough to ride on his own. We agreed a time and a place to meet with the strict instructions to stay put if we didn't show up on time due to ride breakdown etc.

It worked perfectly and I wouldn't hesitate to do the same at WDW. Having said that, DS is very confident and independent. He'll be taking the train on his own to and from school next year when he's 11 and will have to make his way from the station through part of the city to school. I figure if he can do that, WDW would be a piece of cake for him!

Yes I can spell, but my iPad quite often thinks I'd rather type gibberish.
Bonnie151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #144
LovesTimone
DIS Veteran

No..

It's not about whether your child would stay put and act responsibile, It's about what if, You never know who could be watching or just looking for the right moment to hurt a child. No-one wants to think about this, but today it is a real threat, my DD is 23 and we met at the mall she was having lunch we her soon to be DH and I met her afterwards, we shopped when we got ready to leave she rode with me around to her car, I am glad she did when we pulled up there was some guy hassling this poor girl about my daughter's age, she looked so relieved when I pulled up, he took off, I asked her if she was alright she started to cry she said he followed her out of the mall asking for her number. She thanked me about a dozen times, I waited for my DD and her to drive off.
LovesTimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #145
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesTimone View Post
No..

It's not about whether your child would stay put and act responsibile, It's about what if, You never know who could be watching or just looking for the right moment to hurt a child. No-one wants to think about this, but today it is a real threat, my DD is 23 and we met at the mall she was having lunch we her soon to be DH and I met her afterwards, we shopped when we got ready to leave she rode with me around to her car, I am glad she did when we pulled up there was some guy hassling this poor girl about my daughter's age, she looked so relieved when I pulled up, he took off, I asked her if she was alright she started to cry she said he followed her out of the mall asking for her number. She thanked me about a dozen times, I waited for my DD and her to drive off.
So, your point is that 23 year olds shouldn't go to the mall alone? Really, do you think that if a man started bothering a 12 year old girl in a WDW gift shop, that there would be no options for her? At what point can a female be alone in public? 30? Maybe the 23 year old would've been able to handle it better if she had been given more independence when she was younger, to build up her confidence.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #146
NHKristy76
Senior Mousketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom

so, your point is that 23 year olds shouldn't go to the mall alone? Really, do you think that if a man started bothering a 12 year old girl in a wdw gift shop, that there would be no options for her? At what point can a female be alone in public? 30? Maybe the 23 year old would've been able to handle it better if she had been given more independence when she was younger, to build up her confidence.
this!!!
NHKristy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #147
disEAR
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom

So, your point is that 23 year olds shouldn't go to the mall alone? Really, do you think that if a man started bothering a 12 year old girl in a WDW gift shop, that there would be no options for her? At what point can a female be alone in public? 30? Maybe the 23 year old would've been able to handle it better if she had been given more independence when she was younger, to build up her confidence.
Amen!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #148
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

Quote:
No..

I don't think that's a comparable situation to what the OP is talking about. A Disney gift shop is much different than a parking lot where there are probably no people around. I'm glad you came upon that girl, but she really should not have left the mall with a strange man following her. She should have walked until she found a mall security officer or police officer and asked him to walk her to her car. And the fact is that if teens are not allowed to have any freedom, they'll never learn to trust their instincts or to think quickly in situations just like that.

At 12 I was going on trips to Disney World with my church Youth group and the only requirement was that we stayed with a friend. We went all over MK and Epcot all by ourselves, checking in at the required time. And yes, that was awhile ago, but I let my 10-yr-old go on church trips to small amusement parks - he knows to stay with a friend or sometimes he'll hang out with a chaperone. But I don't worry about him having that little bit of freedom - I think it's part of growing up.

Coming up: Long weekend at CSR for Veterans' Day

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #149
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
Very well said!

I don't want to raise a child who cowers safely in a corner. I want to raise a smart confident woman with good instincts.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #150
Love Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No..

This is the best post yet to illustrate the point that infantilizing your pre-teen or teen is the absolutely WORST thing you can do if your long term goal is to make them smart and safe.
Love Tink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: