Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Rememberingthe70s
Old School

Favorite Places to Wander?

Hey Dis Folks,

I'm taking a seven-day solo trip (I do one every year!) during a very low week (end of January). I almost always go at times like this, and with a full week, I find I ride everything I would like to several times and have lots of extra time to putter.

I'm a HUGE DW fan and have been doing for decades, but haven't strayed much beyond the beaten path of the parks.

Any ideas for nice walks, little corners to explore, that sort of thing? I was thinking maybe walk around some of the resorts? I usually stay at Pop or CR, so I'm not familiar with many of the others, even though I have been going to DW for 36 years!

I'm staying on-property and have park-hoppers for each day, so I'll pretty much be able to go wherever I like.

Suggest away!
WDW Commando Club Member #119
36 Years of Vacationing at WDW
Rememberingthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
twinmom108
DIS Veteran

We love to walk around at Wilderness Lodge, then take the trail to Fort Wilderness & meander around there. Also from either of those resorts you can take the boat to the Contemporary & take the Monorail to The Polynesian & Grand Floridian Resorts.

Peter Pan's #1 Fan
twinmom108 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

TwinMon108 has a great suggestion. Just walking around WL itself is pretty nice.

I'd also suggest walking around the Epcot Resorts (BW/BC/YC/Swolphin). If you do this in the late afternoon you can combine it with a bite to eat at one of the many restaurants there and then take in some of the atmosphere along the Boardwalk once the sun goes down.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
Rememberingthe70s
Old School

Thanks! I hadn't even thought about combining resort wanders with the boats!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
jayrueck2wdw
Novice DISboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememberingthe70s View Post
Hey Dis Folks,

I'm taking a seven-day solo trip (I do one every year!) during a very low week (end of January). I almost always go at times like this, and with a full week, I find I ride everything I would like to several times and have lots of extra time to putter.

I'm a HUGE DW fan and have been doing for decades, but haven't strayed much beyond the beaten path of the parks.

Any ideas for nice walks, little corners to explore, that sort of thing? I was thinking maybe walk around some of the resorts? I usually stay at Pop or CR, so I'm not familiar with many of the others, even though I have been going to DW for 36 years!

I'm staying on-property and have park-hoppers for each day, so I'll pretty much be able to go wherever I like.

Suggest away!

I'm partial to AKL to watch the animals on the savanna.
Also like to wander in different, out-of-the-way areas like the path behind the speedway in Tomorrowland to the New Fantasyland.
Since I'm into architecture, I like to enjoy the little nuances in the construction in the resorts and parks.
Stop and really smell the roses.

Have fun.
Jay
Old 11-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

Go to SSR and walk along the lake to DTD.
Go to OKW by building 55 or SSR over by the putting green and walk between the canal & golf course towards the other.

For an off-site location try Gaylord Palms Resort. Three acres of different Fla enviroments under a glass ceiling.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
cubfans
Mouseketeer

One of my favorite areas to escape is at AK. There are many paths around the park that are almost never used. Take time to look at the landscaping and really look into the woods...you will be surprised how many animals you will see! If you see a hard surface heading into the trees follow it....and take your time.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
cubfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
Rememberingthe70s
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubfans
One of my favorite areas to escape is at AK. There are many paths around the park that are almost never used. Take time to look at the landscaping and really look into the woods...you will be surprised how many animals you will see! If you see a hard surface heading into the trees follow it....and take your time.

Good advice. I'm not much of an AK person other than the biggees, but I'm totally going to take your advice and stay in AK for some wander time. It's funny how we sometimes get caught up in attractions and forget to explore.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
cubfans
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememberingthe70s

Good advice. I'm not much of an AK person other than the biggees, but I'm totally going to take your advice and stay in AK for some wander time. It's funny how we sometimes get caught up in attractions and forget to explore.
Right! It has taken us years to learn to slow down and enjoy all of the planning, engineering, and beauty. The gorilla exhibit is also a great place to decompress. I can sit and watch them for hours....it's almost spooky just how human they behave!
cubfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #10
JessieJones
Earning My Ears

Exploring the entire park is my first moto when I enter,as I run to every single ride and attraction. But as the day passes I would end up relaxing in any of the corner as I think entire park just has too much to offer .
JessieJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:32 AM   #11
Rememberingthe70s
Old School

Favorite Corners? There must be some tucked away grottos that most don't notice. I Love outside the side (north) door of the Mexico pavilion for a pretty sit and photos.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #12
JeffryK
Earning My Ears

Go to any of the MK resorts and rent a Seay Racers, you get to -wander- around the 2 lakes there which is quite relaxing and a unique experience.
TDL:'09
JeffryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubfans View Post

And my favorite spot to wander in AK is the path that goes by the Tree of Life (I think that's the Discovery Island Trail). You access it shortly past Pizzafari, right behind a temporary tattoo kiosk, then it comes out by the FP machines for ITTBAB. Along the way, you get some nice close ups of the ToL carvings, and go under a waterfall (wish photobucket worked for me right now so I could post some pictures)
Old 11-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #14
Rememberingthe70s
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom

And my favorite spot to wander in AK is the path that goes by the Tree of Life (I think that's the Discovery Island Trail). You access it shortly past Pizzafari, right behind a temporary tattoo kiosk, then it comes out by the FP machines for ITTBAB. Along the way, you get some nice close ups of the ToL carvings, and go under a waterfall (wish photobucket worked for me right now so I could post some pictures)
Thanks! AK is the Park I'm least familiar with, so that'll be a nice wander.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #15
jfk4
Earning My Ears

My favorite wandering route goes as follows:

Start at the Polynesian resort and take the walking path over to the Grand Floridian. Walk up to the monorail platform and take a monorail over to the Contemporary Resort. Walk down to the boat dock and then take the boat over to Fort Wilderness. Take the walking trail over to the Wilderness resort or just wander around the campground.

From there, you can go pretty much anywhere you want, either by taking a boat back to the Contemporary resort or a bus to one of the other theme parks.
jfk4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: