Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
susanrose73
Mouseketeer

Any tips for a 1st time solo traveller?

I'm leaving in a week for the first time on a solo trip for 6 days!

Anybody recommend anything or have any tips to share?

June 2013: POR Anniversary Trip!
susanrose73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
karly05
DIS Veteran

Be flexible and have fun. I think you'll find a consensus that that's one of the best parts of a solo trip, being able to slow down and smell the roses. If you hear live music playing, go looking for it - I found the Main St Philharmonic and British Revolution completely by accident.

I don't know if you have any ADRs, but I'm a big champion of "don't be shy about eating alone." Also, don't be shy about meeting characters alone.

If you've never done Animation Academy at DHS (and even if you have), it's a lot of fun - you will learn to draw a Disney character. Even if you think you can't draw, just relax and follow along and you might be surprised at how well your drawing turns out.

Edit to add: Two more general "been there done that" tips: If the day is cold, do not go to AK. Not all the animals will be out on the safari and walking trails. (For example, a CM said the bats at Maharajah Jungle Trek can't come out if it's under 55 degrees.) Kali River Rapids will also be closed if it's too cold.

And be sure you have fresh/fully charged batteries for your camera. Had to take a break on my DHS day when my camera died. Luckily I was at BC, but it was still an unplanned detour on the day.
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.

Last edited by karly05; 01-06-2013 at 01:14 PM.
karly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
boswellnakia
Oh great Ding King, just one more--trip, please?

Congrats and enjoy!

My first solo trip, I made a big mistake. I had been to WDW many times. So many, that the routine that was used with my family/kids was ingrained in my head and that was how I proceeded. It was the same trip, except I was by myself.

I have been solo many times sense and have learned to do it my way. If I want to sleep in, then I do. If I want to sit for an hour and watch families enjoy the moment, I do. I always make some ADR even it's it's just for an appetizer and dessert. My solo trips are some of my greatest memories along with the very different trips we take when the kids go.

Have fun and don't be afraid to do what you want to.

2010: Dec AsSports and MVMCP
2009: Feb AsMu, Jan WL, July DCL and Epcot
2008: Mar Pop
2007: Jan offsite, Apr As-S, Apr Offsite, Jun As-S
2006: Jan offsite, Apr AsMo/CBR, Apr POR, Oct CSR MNSSHP
Dec 05 MVMVP at CS/AK
Oct 05 YES, Sheraton Safari
May 05 Quality Inn Suites
Jul 04 WL
boswellnakia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
MICKFan
MICKFan

I'm leaving for my second solo trip in a week too!! You've been given lots of good advice. I made ADRs for each day except arrival day and departure day. If I choose to cancel, I can. I did make a very loose itenirary (sp?) I can change if I want to. If I want to have an adult beverage; I will. Have fun!!
MICKFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
susanrose73
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the advice! Getting very excited. Friends and family think I'm nuts. And my mother keeps thinking I have some secret motive! They don't get my disney love!

June 2013: POR Anniversary Trip!
susanrose73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
a742246
older than dirt

Eat at the Biergarden rest. in Germany. The rest. seating is cool with different parties eating at the same table. If you are social this can be fun.
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
brandi24
Earning My Ears

I am hopeful of going to disney world solo! Planning maybe in December for my birthday. Any advice?

brandi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:19 AM   #8
singastory
Are you sure this water's sanitary? It looks questionable to me!!

I found myself accidentally on two "solo" trips last year, one in DL and one in WDW. Both times family were with me but decided they didn't want to do much besides stay at the hotel. My advice is to do whatever it is that you could never do with family or a partner or anyone else. For me, it wasn't so much taking my leisurely time as it was making a meticulously planned ride schedule and hitting EVERY ride in each park (I know, I'm a crazy person ). I would suggest bringing something to do in lines, which is the time when I found myself getting lonely and wishing I had someone to talk with to pass the time. Otherwise, being by myself helped make the trips special because they were really my own. Good luck!

singastory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

My mistake was too short a trip and not getting enough sleep. Kind of sort of the same problem. I only got like 21 hours of sleep from Sunday til Thursday. It by far wasn't enough. I couldn't bring myself to leave the parks early because I was getting so much accomplished. Then for assorted reasons I wasn't getting great sleep at night. I think if I would have added an extra day (the trip was Monday-Thursday) I would have felt better about leaving the parks earlier because I'd always be able to go back for a little while on that extra day OR I could have still done the parks the same way but I would have had a day to nap and relax.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: