Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
bellebud
DIS Veteran

Atlantis Bahamas... advice/tips?

We're planning an Atlantis trip for sometime in Feb or March this year.

DH and I went about 15 years ago, when it was small.

Also coming are dd13 and ds11.

We did the dolphin thing there when we were on a cruise last May (but didn't get to see really anything else there). So we probably won't do dolphin experience again.

Looking at all the different places to stay... if it were easy to go from the Harbor place w/ the villas to the rest of the resort, the space there would be what we'd really like. I don't want to have to take a shuttle. Can you walk?

While the Royal Towers look lovely, I don't think we want to be 20 stories up. We love staying places where you walk out, and you're on the beach, or at the pool, etc. Even though the Royal Towers are in the middle of everything, just looking at the pics, it seems like it would feel rather removed from everything. Whereas the Coral Towers seems more connected to the resort.

We usually stay Deluxe or Villa in Disney, to give an idea of what we prefer. We do spend a good amount of time in the resort room, so space and a little kitchette are nice to have. My dh and both kids all have a form of muscular dystrophy, so they need more resting time than most other people do (that's why we're in the room a lot). 3 hours in the water park and they'll all be looking to be back in the room for a few hours. So convenience is also important (going back and forth to the room).

When we stayed years ago, I think we were in the Coral Towers (in looking at the map). The room we had was TINY. Really ridiculously tiny. Wondering if they're still the same. (the Royal Tower wasn't built yet).

We can go for up to a week. How long does anyone recommend?

Thanks for any advice!
bellebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellebud View Post
We're planning an Atlantis trip for sometime in Feb or March this year.

DH and I went about 15 years ago, when it was small.

Also coming are dd13 and ds11.

We did the dolphin thing there when we were on a cruise last May (but didn't get to see really anything else there). So we probably won't do dolphin experience again.

Looking at all the different places to stay... if it were easy to go from the Harbor place w/ the villas to the rest of the resort, the space there would be what we'd really like. I don't want to have to take a shuttle. Can you walk?

While the Royal Towers look lovely, I don't think we want to be 20 stories up. We love staying places where you walk out, and you're on the beach, or at the pool, etc. Even though the Royal Towers are in the middle of everything, just looking at the pics, it seems like it would feel rather removed from everything. Whereas the Coral Towers seems more connected to the resort.

We usually stay Deluxe or Villa in Disney, to give an idea of what we prefer. We do spend a good amount of time in the resort room, so space and a little kitchette are nice to have. My dh and both kids all have a form of muscular dystrophy, so they need more resting time than most other people do (that's why we're in the room a lot). 3 hours in the water park and they'll all be looking to be back in the room for a few hours. So convenience is also important (going back and forth to the room).

When we stayed years ago, I think we were in the Coral Towers (in looking at the map). The room we had was TINY. Really ridiculously tiny. Wondering if they're still the same. (the Royal Tower wasn't built yet).

We can go for up to a week. How long does anyone recommend?

Thanks for any advice!
HI there....

If you want to be closest to the beach/pools then staying at the Beach Towers is your best choice or if you have the money then The Cove is beautiful with mini suites. I went in 2007 and stayed in a villa at the Harborside. It was GREAT! We had a bedroom, living room. kitchen and cute balcony. Lots of space and it saved us money from having to eat out with the kitchen. The only drawback (which didn't matter to us) is that you really need to take a shuttle to the Atlantis hotels/waterpark. However you look at it you will be doing a lot of walking. Nothing is close. If it were me I would stay a week. Just can't get enough of that place, so much fun and so much to do. Any other questions just ask. We plan to go again this summer and will definitely stay at Harborside again.
2009 Mariott Cypress Harbor
2012 AKL Villas
All thanks to my BFF!!!!!

lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
dicar123
DIS Veteran

My family and I stayed at Atlantis in October. We were in the Beach Tower, which we thought was a bit more central than the Coral Tower.

If you do decide to go with a regular hotel room, know that if you stay in the Coral Tower that you check in at the Beach Tower and have to trek all your luggage down hallways to your hotel. While it isn't exactly a march through the Sahara, it is, IMO, a ridiculous inconvenience given what you are paying for the hotel.

We used the shuttle just a couple of times. My husband and son took it over to the Dolphin Encounter and we also used it to get to Mesa Grill. It wasn't a problem and we didn't wait long.

A note about the food- we went with the mid-priced buffett one night and spent $180 for the 3 of us. The next night we went to the Mesa Grill and the bill was about $250. The food at the restaurant was WAY more than $70 better. I wish we had thought that through a little better!
dicar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

If you decide you want to go the villa route at the Harborside. If you rent from an owner you can save a ton! Join redweek.com and rent from there. Very reasonable!
2009 Mariott Cypress Harbor
2012 AKL Villas
All thanks to my BFF!!!!!

lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
bellebud
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicar123 View Post
My family and I stayed at Atlantis in October. We were in the Beach Tower, which we thought was a bit more central than the Coral Tower.

If you do decide to go with a regular hotel room, know that if you stay in the Coral Tower that you check in at the Beach Tower and have to trek all your luggage down hallways to your hotel. While it isn't exactly a march through the Sahara, it is, IMO, a ridiculous inconvenience given what you are paying for the hotel.

We used the shuttle just a couple of times. My husband and son took it over to the Dolphin Encounter and we also used it to get to Mesa Grill. It wasn't a problem and we didn't wait long.

A note about the food- we went with the mid-priced buffett one night and spent $180 for the 3 of us. The next night we went to the Mesa Grill and the bill was about $250. The food at the restaurant was WAY more than $70 better. I wish we had thought that through a little better!
hmmm, on the website, the Beach Tower is on one of the ends of the property...

http://www.atlantis.com/accommodations/overview.aspx

do you mean Royal Tower?? (I'm confused)...
bellebud is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: