Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
momtoleasawav
Mouseketeer

Grand cayman- short port- enough time to do turtle farm?

Just got of website for turtle farm- they offer a free ride to farm at 8:30 and 9:45. but I just looked and it says we can't get off ship until 11:30 and have to be back on at 4:45. My husband is concerned that isn't enough time to go to the turtle farm and he wants to cancel. Does anyone have any experience with this? thank you in advance
Old 01-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

The Turtle Farm is only about 10-15 minutes from the dock with traffic. It will really only take about 30 minutes max to see the Turtle Farm. Unless things have changed, you go in the Turtle Farm and look at the turtles in the tanks. There isn't even a guide to help you. You can pick them up, etc.

I did the Turtle Farm and Dolphin excursion with DCL in 2011. We actually walked across the street from the Dolphin place and went to the Turtle Farm to kill time while we waited for our session to begin. The Turtle Farm is on the backside of Botswain, which is also a DCL excursion. There's actually a gate between the two.

You should have time to go to the Turtle Farm and get back to the ship. Don't expect too much, because there really isn't anything there!
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
momtoleasawav
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the reply. Boatswain is where I was going, I thought it was the same as the turtle farm. I dont was to spend that much money if there isnt anything there to do
Old 01-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
kshark1958
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdgeek View Post
The Turtle Farm is only about 10-15 minutes from the dock with traffic. It will really only take about 30 minutes max to see the Turtle Farm. Unless things have changed, you go in the Turtle Farm and look at the turtles in the tanks. There isn't even a guide to help you. You can pick them up, etc.

I did the Turtle Farm and Dolphin excursion with DCL in 2011. We actually walked across the street from the Dolphin place and went to the Turtle Farm to kill time while we waited for our session to begin. The Turtle Farm is on the backside of Botswain, which is also a DCL excursion. There's actually a gate between the two.

You should have time to go to the Turtle Farm and get back to the ship. Don't expect too much, because there really isn't anything there!
We are considering Boatswain ourselves. Is it just the turtle farm part that their isn't much to do or the whole Boatswain excursion. Right now we have the Atlantis sub scheduled we did this in Hawaii. Medical reasons this is the only way for me to see anything under water

1998 WDW Fort Widerness
2008 WDW All Star Music Resort
2009 WDW Animal Kingdom Villas
2009 Vero Beach
2011 WDW Bay Lake Tower
2013 WDW Saratoga Springs Resort
2013 DCL Fantasy First Cruise Ever
2014 WDW BCV
kshark1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Christy May
Number1mickeyfan

we were on the Magic in December. We did the Island Tour in Grand Cayman which included the Turtle Farm. We had a good time at the turtle farm and would recommend it to anyone. If you have already done it, I would not spend the money to do it again. Definately a must do for the first time.
Christy May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Boatswain is the Turtle Farm. They will provide transportation for the afternoon cruisers. We let them know we were arriving in the afternoon and we were transported on the DCL buses to the farm. If you book through their website, there is. 20% discount. Because you are on the DCL excursion buses, you will arrive back at port in plenty of time!
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

We did the island tour which included the turtle farm thru Captain Marvin's. The turtle farm portion is good for about 45 minutes.

If you do it thru Boatswain's, there are several packages. You get a wrist band indicating what you have paid to do. Granted, we were there 2 years ago and things can change...but I was not impressed with the cleanliness at this park. I would have been hesitant about getting in the water or eating at the buffet that was sitting in the heat waiting for the DCL excursion group.

We really enjoyed the turtle farm.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
Rai's Mommy
Mouseketeer

My daughter and I went last May and really enjoyed our experience. Our time went by very quickly. There was a guide who brought us around to see and touch the turtles. The buffet left a lot to be desired but we didn't pick the excursion for the food. The most fun that we had at Boatswain was when we got to snorkel in this cool manmade lagoon with a bunch of cool fish and even some small turtles swimming around in it as well. It was my daughter's first time snorkeling ever and she loved it. It was so fun being able to snorkel around with the marine life. My daughter was also super happy that it wasn't actually connected to the ocean, meaning no chance encounters with less happy creatures, which she gets slightly worried about at the beach. There's also a pool with a fun slide that she was sure to go on before we left, even though we didn't actually get to swimming in the pool itself because of how fun the lagoon was. It definitely wasn't boring for us, we could've easily stayed longer.

HAVE A WONDERFUL TRIP!!!!

July, 1990 & February, 1995 - Offsite; March, 1998 & November, 1999 - ASM; May, 2005 - Fort Wilderness (DD 5th B-Day Fam Trip); May, 2006 - ASM (DD 6th B-Day); May, 2012 - Fantasy 7 Night Western Caribbean (DD 12th B-Day); August, 2013 - Dream 3 Night Bahamian/Art of Animation; July, 2014 - Tokyo Disney; August, 2014 - Pop Century
Rai's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
polynor
Mouseketeer

We were just there.

We booked tickets ourselves online through Boatswain -- turtle farm only. We did not do an excursion since we weren't interested in the other parts of the tour our park.
That morning, we didn't not make it off on the first tender and missed the excursion bus that was arranged (8:30 or 8:45am bus). Instead, the guy at the booth (it's the turquoise colored booth in the middle of the port area) told us to take the local bus which we could catch from the Library (3 minutes walk).

It was easy -- the buses are like minivans and have a circular sticker on them. They pretty much all stop by the turtle farm. Fare is $2.50 pp. They stop around the island and it probably took us 20 minutes total but we saw local parts of the island and mental notes of potential beach locations. Taxis could get you there faster but charge more.

The turtle farm takes about 45 minutes at a leisurely pace. Buses and taxis go by frequently that you can catch one of them easily back to the port or a beach. (They guy at the terminal happened to be outside and drove us to the beach for free.)

My kids loved seeing the turtles but my 3yo was disappointed he wasn't able to pick them up (5yo and up only).
polynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
momtoleasawav
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the replays. we are definitely going. On our own. Has anyone gone on their own with an 11:30 tender. It seems as some of the tenders are earlier than mine is
Old 01-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
Aquaman2005
Earning My Ears

It should be noted that you may not be able to tender until late morning / early noon. On our Dec. 2012 cruise we began tendering around 11:00. It would be wise not plan anything for this half day port.
Aquaman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
Dasha Hermosilla
Mouseketeer

Plenty of time! We were on the Fantasy for Christmas and I think we got off around noon. We did the dolphin encounter and then the turtle farm on a DCL excursion. I think the all aboard was 4:00 or 4:30.
Dasha Hermosilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: